Adventure of the Seas - Problems

No, I think it's just people being picky about things.

In one of the posts above 5 complaints could have been handled by a call to housekeeping, two were purely subjective, two were corrected, one happen on all RCCL's ships off and on, and one happens on all RCCL ships.

That's just one post!

I always look at negative posts and reviews in light of what could have been done to correct it, and if I end up with "it couldn't have been corrected", then it's a problem.

I think I'd say there shouldn't be that many issues on one cruise and you shouldn't have to spend time running after housekeeping and other departments.

I totally agree, but perhaps I'm tired of being subjected to the bashing from RCI cheerleaders on here when any of us (and in most cases it appears to be those of us, who despite supporting RCI, aren't from the US) dare to raise issues we've experienced and we're belittled and chastised as though we have no right to complain.

So much so, we're no longer sailing exclusively with RCI and I for one am reconsidering my association with CC. It used to be a place to share information and provide accurate feedback from your experience on board, but woe betide you these days if you dare say one word against RCI, the vitriol sometimes from some is disgusting (present company excepted).

I apologise, but I've been thinking about this for a while and I think having read a few threads tonight, and the responses to some of my fellow countrymen and friends, it's time to call it a day on the RCI thread of CC.

Oh, those of us on this side of the pond who raise issues get slammed repeatedly, too. I don't take it personally any more. Stick around, please.

Let me ask a question of those that have done Caribbean cruises on Adventure and also a European/Mediteranean cruise --- Could the difference be in the 'culture of the expectations' between the two itineraries that account for the different experiences?

Just asking....

Let me share, this....personally I have not had the opportunity to do a European or Mediterranean cruise....I will at some point in the future, but have not been able to allocate the time for it as yet.

If anything I think that Americans have higher expectations than Europeans do. We are used to being spoiled and coddled by RCI staff, and when we aren't, we notice and object to it. We sailed on Brilliance after she had been in Europe for years and there was definitely a "culture of no" onboard that we weren't accustomed to (I hear that's changed since we got back).

That Adventure, who splits her seasons between a U.S. port and Europe, has that kind of an attitude tells me that there's something more pervasive afoot (I don't mean it to sound like a conspiracy) - with all of the new builds and the cost of servicing their debt, older ships just aren't going to get the TLC that they did, the food budget is going to be stretched (they couldn't get bananas on Rhapsody in HAWAII when they ran out after 2 days), and crew morale is going to suffer as they take the brunt of the passengers' displeasure. When it gets to the point that I have to provide my waiter Kleenex so he can cry on my shoulder, we're out. Until then, we'll sail on the itineraries and ships that interest us the most, whether on RCI or another line.

We are cruising on the AOS out of Southampton to the Canary Islands the end of September this year. So looking forward to this "bucket list" cruise. This will be our 18th cruise, but not just on Royal..Carnival and Princess too. The food and the entertainment are not our top priority in cruising, it's the ports and the adventure of seeing new places and making new friends around the world.

So, stop complaining and just appreciate that you can afford to cruise.

We are cruising on the AOS out of Southampton to the Canary Islands the end of September this year. So looking forward to this "bucket list" cruise. This will be our 18th cruise, but not just on Royal..Carnival and Princess too. The food and the entertainment are not our top priority in cruising, it's the ports and the adventure of seeing new places and making new friends around the world.

Ha ha ha ha !!!!!!

:-)

Oh, those of us on this side of the pond who raise issues get slammed repeatedly, too. I don't take it personally any more. Stick around, please.

If anything I think that Americans have higher expectations than Europeans do. We are used to being spoiled and coddled by RCI staff, and when we aren't, we notice and object to it. We sailed on Brilliance after she had been in Europe for years and there was definitely a "culture of no" onboard that we weren't accustomed to (I hear that's changed since we got back).

That Adventure, who splits her seasons between a U.S. port and Europe, has that kind of an attitude tells me that there's something more pervasive afoot (I don't mean it to sound like a conspiracy) - with all of the new builds and the cost of servicing their debt, older ships just aren't going to get the TLC that they did, the food budget is going to be stretched (they couldn't get bananas on Rhapsody in HAWAII when they ran out after 2 days), and crew morale is going to suffer as they take the brunt of the passengers' displeasure. When it gets to the point that I have to provide my waiter Kleenex so he can cry on my shoulder, we're out. Until then, we'll sail on the itineraries and ships that interest us the most, whether on RCI or another line.

I am not sure if expectations are higher or just different between Americans and Europeans. One thing is for sure (and I am American) is that Americans hate to hear the word 'no' told to them, yet they like to say the word 'no'.

Just to give you a small example -- where I work (American company) they want to give people who they hire the feeling that 'customer service matters' and that if you get the job 'doing good customer service is important'; then you get the job and 'doing good customer service in your job isn't exactly the case -- but rather, finding non confrontational ways to say 'no, I can't do that' while still making the customer happy. When I went to upper management and said "Gee, I want to treat my customers the way I would want to be treated" I was greeted with .....just do the best you can but in many cases the answer will still be a 'no'.

I have to wonder what 'crew morale' is like....I can tell you one thing....if employee morale suffers, all business suffers and that is something that Royal should be paying attention to.

Please come back and post with any differences you may experience between the 2 cruises.

Hello!!

yes, I will post the differences. I do know that when I booked the cruise while onboard, the ship was over 50% booked and that is for 2015. I believe the bad reviews are few compared to the popularity of the AOS.

I think one of the key things here with this thread is that the original poster asked about problems. If you ask if there are problems, people will state what they think those problems are. It is expected that we will read way more negative than positive.

I am scheduled to sail AOS next May to celebrate my 50th birthday. I've been on Explorer twice, Freedom twice, Majesty and Monarch once each. I have an upcoming cruise on Enchantment as well. I will take it as it comes. I will do my best to come back here and post my thoughts.

4th b2b on adventure first two weeks of feb 2015 and lots of friends we have met on board will be on as well as our family coming with us for their second b2b on adventure. We love the crew...shout out to Maria from Panama....deck 8!!! the best room attendant...

Sure there are little things that bug everyone but nothing ruins our vacation...

Love this ship.

I think I'd say there shouldn't be that many issues on one cruise and you shouldn't have to spend time running after housekeeping and other departments.

No running involved: pick up the phone, speedial housekeeping, tell them the problem, and you will get a supervisor at your door. Multiple problems at once do. I never go to Customer Service: usually it's housekeeping or maintenance, who are both on speedial on the cabin phone.

No, I think it's just people being picky about things
So when things you've spent extra on (in addition to your cruise fare) are not delivered as ordered, or yet again the rented tux has not been supplied as per the measurements (again at extra cost) is being picky is it? Being missold Internet access and not being able to use facilities paid for as part of the suite fare is being picky is it? I don't think so. Service on RCI has gone down over the years and guest relations staff on this ship were some of the most unhelpful I've ever encountered.

I understand many do, it was just over the past few days it appears to be a very wide gulf between UK and US attitudes and that's what got to me. Again on here there's several comments that make my blood boil.

Edited by peteukmcr

No I won't stop complaining when things I've paid extra for are not delivered as ordered, would you? Why should I just 'appreciate I can afford to cruise'? I know that thank you, I saved hard for it, so I ask again, should I just put up with poor service just because I paid for it? I'm sure you wouldn't hand over gratuities for poor service would you?

No running involved: pick up the phone, speedial housekeeping, tell them the problem, and you will get a supervisor at your door. Multiple problems at once do. I never go to Customer Service: usually it's housekeeping or maintenance, who are both on speedial on the cabin phone.
Not on Adventure you won't. That's if they answer the phone. They'll try and put you through to guest relations, trust me I tried, and because there was never a full compliment of staff on guest relations, the phone rarely got answered. Shows you what a stupid set up they had, maybe 3 staff on the desk, but someone going up and down the line to see what people wanted and trying to brush them off. Why not get that 1 person on the desk and you'd be surprised how many more guests you'd be able to serve.

Never had a supervisor at the door either when there was problems with the cabin. I keep saying, but others on here keep singing the praises of Adventure staff, that other than the MDR staff, customer service on here was the worst I'd ever experienced on RCI.

So don't tell me to put up and shut up, because I won't. Maybe I'll go and remove my prepaid gratuities next time, like those US guests in line at guest relations I was behind, boy that'd stir the pot wouldn't it? Woe betide a UK guest doing that, but a US guest, mmm that's ok.

I'm really sorry you had such a bad time I'd be angry too that's just not acceptable, there's no excuse to be treated like that, but there's always two sides to every story.

I'm not flying any flag for RCI just saying that we had a great time on adventure had problems with our cabin and a problem with an excursion and it was all dealt with quickly without fuss by housekeeping and guest relations with follow up calls asking if things were ok so I have no complaints at all.

Things happen all the time , so it's maybe unfair to just slam Adventure I'm sure you'd find problems anywhere if there was a thread like this about any ship .and you'd been treated badly but others haven't had the same experience.

I did a Southern Caribbean route on Adventure in March last year and had a wonderful cruise. Staff were excellent, apart from a very disappointing concierge who didn't get a tip at the end! I had GS1288, which, admittedly, was a little dated but immaculately clean and looked after by a superb cabin steward. There were certainly a few spots of rust on the balcony, but honestly, I would expect to find this on any ocean liner after a few years of service. I saw routine maintenance/painting constantly in progress.

I'm on Adventure again this August in the same suite as Pete had for his transatlantic, this time on a European route. I'll be interested to see if this experience matches the last one and will post when I return.

We had a wonderful experience on the Adventure of the Seas in December. We were on a 7 day round trip from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I don't know whether C&A status or cabin category has anything to do with our experience on this ship/cruise. We are Emerald and were in an Owner's Suite.

Happy cruising!

Oh Nooooooooo. That makes NO difference at all :D

No I won't stop complaining when things I've paid extra for are not delivered as ordered, would you? Why should I just 'appreciate I can afford to cruise'? I know that thank you, I saved hard for it, so I ask again, should I just put up with poor service just because I paid for it? I'm sure you wouldn't hand over gratuities for poor service would you?

Not on Adventure you won't. That's if they answer the phone. They'll try and put you through to guest relations, trust me I tried, and because there was never a full compliment of staff on guest relations, the phone rarely got answered. Shows you what a stupid set up they had, maybe 3 staff on the desk, but someone going up and down the line to see what people wanted and trying to brush them off. Why not get that 1 person on the desk and you'd be surprised how many more guests you'd be able to serve.

Never had a supervisor at the door either when there was problems with the cabin. I keep saying, but others on here keep singing the praises of Adventure staff, that other than the MDR staff, customer service on here was the worst I'd ever experienced on RCI.

So don't tell me to put up and shut up, because I won't. Maybe I'll go and remove my prepaid gratuities next time, like those US guests in line at guest relations I was behind, boy that'd stir the pot wouldn't it? Woe betide a UK guest doing that, but a US guest, mmm that's ok.

Yes........what a great idea!! If ALL the guests did that, we could see if things changed - but is it really the staff's fault, or, as with Ryanair, they are just following strict briefings from the management, and they are trained in this negative approach to conflict management. Who knows.

PS.............did you wear formal on formal nights :D

So if you go out and by a car that ends up having issues you should not complain and just be happy that you can afford to buy a car?

Yes........what a great idea!! If ALL the guests did that, we could see if things changed - but is it really the staff's fault, or, as with Ryanair, they are just following strict briefings from the management, and they are trained in this negative approach to conflict management. Who knows.

PS.............did you wear formal on formal nights :D

Yes we did wear formal on formal nights after 4 visits by the tailor starting on the day we boarded because we always check the fit as soon as they are delivered (which btw on all other ships has been before we get into the cabin at 1pm, this time it was late afternoon before they turned up). The issues then were reported to the tailor, he visited, arranged to replace and then when he did they were wrong, then again on the day of formal dinner, finally 1 hour before dinner it was rectified.

I am really surprised at the terrible reviews that the Adventure is getting. We were on her for 3 weeks this past Feb, 2 weeks last year in Feb. and the previous year and really had a wonderful time. We have booked 4 weeks next Feb. as well. We love the southern Caribbean itinerary and that is why we keep booking her. We had excellent table servers and stateroom attendants. We found the crew were very friendly and were some of the best we have experienced. We don't really go to the shows so I can't comment on that. The food did tend to get repetitive but we expected that because it seems that the food on all the ships isn't what it used to be. We did notice a lot of vibration on our aft balcony but I hope that was fixed during drydock. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. Looking forward to next Feb.

I am really surprised at the terrible reviews that the Adventure is getting. We were on her for 3 weeks this past Feb, 2 weeks last year in Feb. and the previous year and really had a wonderful time. We have booked 4 weeks next Feb. as well. We love the southern Caribbean itinerary and that is why we keep booking her. We had excellent table servers and stateroom attendants. We found the crew were very friendly and were some of the best we have experienced. We don't really go to the shows so I can't comment on that. The food did tend to get repetitive but we expected that because it seems that the food on all the ships isn't what it used to be. We did notice a lot of vibration on our aft balcony but I hope that was fixed during drydock. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. Looking forward to next Feb.

From what you have written, you have enjoyed Adventure enough to keep booking her. My question for you is: based on the fact that you do several weeks in a row at one time, could that account for the 'issue of repetitve' when it comes to food. Realistically, they have a 7 day menu -- so each Sunday to Saturday will repeat and when you are on the ship for 2 ,3 or 4 weeks in a row, you know what to expect on the menu.

Just curious to hear back....

Well it would appear that there have been a lot of personnel changes since you last sailed on this ship and not for the better according to people we sailed with who have sailed on this ship on numerous occasions but noticed the difference. For that reason alone I would be reluctant to sail on her again, but have already made plans to and can ill afford to cancel 5 peoples booking with the loss of deposit that involves for us in the UK. We made these plans before we sailed on the TA so unless we swallow the loss of deposit, we're committed.

I appreciate that the service issues may not be just a symptom of this ship, but could be fleetwide due to cutbacks. I'll review that after our sailing on Liberty in October. If that is as bad, then I'll be justified in jumping lines which is what we're doing for 2 sailings next year and may review our other bookings with RCI, even if that means losing deposits because I'm not prepared to throw good money after bad at RCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry you had such a bad time I'd be angry too that's just not acceptable, there's no excuse to be treated like that, but there's always two sides to every story.

I'm not flying any flag for RCI just saying that we had a great time on adventure had problems with our cabin and a problem with an excursion and it was all dealt with quickly without fuss by housekeeping and guest relations with follow up calls asking if things were ok so I have no complaints at all.

Things happen all the time , so it's maybe unfair to just slam Adventure I'm sure you'd find problems anywhere if there was a thread like this about any ship .and you'd been treated badly but others haven't had the same experience.

I am not a so called RCI Cheerleader neither and I agree with your statement above. That is why I don't really pay any attention to these threads and reviews that everything was so God awful about a paticular ship of problems that could happen on any ship. I have stated before if I had went by the Sovereign of The Seas reviews for my 1st cruise I wouldn't be cruising today. I am booked on Adventure next year and have plenty of time to cancel and book another ship because of threads like this. So will I cancel.....No I will not! If I go on there and it is totaly bad, then I will chalk it up to experience and won't do that ship again, but it will be based on my own opinion of the ship and not a bunch of "This is the worst ship ever" type of threads and reviews! I have not had a bad cruise experience as described in this thread not even on Sovereign Of The Seas! :cool:

I am sailing on the Adventure next May, I have to admit reading some of these reviews make me worry slightly. But i am only going on this cruise for the ports of call. I know there is some cut backs but what company these days doesnt have cut backs.

The good thing about cruise critic is knowing what you are getting yourself into ahead of time. That is why its good when people post postive and negeative reviews.

So when things you've spent extra on (in addition to your cruise fare) are not delivered as ordered, or yet again the rented tux has not been supplied as per the measurements (again at extra cost) is being picky is it? Being missold Internet access and not being able to use facilities paid for as part of the suite fare is being picky is it? I don't think so. Service on RCI has gone down over the years and guest relations staff on this ship were some of the most unhelpful I've ever encountered.

I understand many do, it was just over the past few days it appears to be a very wide gulf between UK and US attitudes and that's what got to me. Again on here there's several comments that make my blood boil.

My intentions are never to make anyone's blood boil. I don't even look at where the poster is from, so please don't pin that on me.

I've been on the Adventure before: a b2b with a transatlantic. I did not experience the same problems. I sail on RCCL at least twice a year; this year 4 cruises, including the Adventure later this year. I have found that my experiences over 4 decades with RCCL just don't reflect the level of dissatisfaction that I read about here.

Edited by pcur

As I mentioned earlier, I was on the same sailing with peteukmcr, and he certainly is a man of patience, as during the times that we spent together, he never brought up his problems. However he has presented some pretty obvious problems on this forum, and from what I know of him, he is a good and honest person, one that would not make a fuss, unless one was needed.

I had another friend that was on the same sailing, in a GS, and was going to stay on for a B2B2B. His couch was a mess. He complained, and housekeeping cleaned it. It made no difference, still looked terrible. I had someone onboard, an officer in the hotel department, and asked him to take a look and give me his opinion. I simply said that if I were in that GS, I would be raising holy you know what, he agreed, and told my friend that on turn around day, he would get another couch.

My friend wrote to me later, stating that on turn around day in Southampton, they simply switched couches with another cabin. He now had a new looking couch, and someone in a GS a few doors down, had his!

One would think that they would have an extra, down in the upholstery department so that a switch like that would not have occurred.

I will also say, that the GS's on Adventure certainly need updating. They look rather tired. On the other hand, we had an OS, with brand new carpeting, and everything looked good in our cabin.

Rick