Maybe time to use a PCC...?

RMLincoln

We're looking at the Maasdam TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale in November. Prices are a bit high now so I'm reluctant to book it with our regular TA who can't make adjustments after final payment date. Can a PCC? What can a PCC do for us that a TA can't?

We may just go ahead and book it because we will have a very complex itinerary with 3 cruises and a couple of land stays (Iceland, Norway cruise, Amsterdam, River Cruise, Rome etc...) I was thinking that the fall TA's don't fill up but DH is thinking maybe best not to take the chance and pay the premium prices now, get it locked in so we can continue the big plan. He's probably right ;) but it made me realize that I don't know anything about PCCs. m--

There is a sale on now, so prices have gone down. We're already booked on the Maasdam for this cruise - do join the roll call, but it is for the whole Atlantic Adventure, beginning October 31, with the second half starting November 21. I can't speak to the PCC question, as we use a TA, but she can usually get the price reduced before final payment date. But we do the "price watching".

I don't understand why your TA can not get the price drops for you -- maybe because you have bought previous cruises on sale?

We prefer to use a TA rather than HAL's PCC. Reason -- HAL's PCC will not give us the shipboard credit that we get when we pay for a cruise using the American Express Platinum card.

I checked out the "sale" on HALs site showing 2800 for OV H category or 3800 for Lanai or 4600 for verandah... not great prices in my mind but we may go ahead and do it just to get the circuit of our itinerary closed. sigh. Once it's all done it will feel great! But the decision process to get the whole thing together is stressful.

KK I hadn't thought about PCC not being able to give credit for certain benefits... was just thinking that they can make price adjustments, cabin upgrades or OBC after final payment... maybe not true?

I checked out the "sale" on HALs site showing 2800 for OV H category or 3800 for Lanai or 4600 for verandah... not great prices in my mind but we may go ahead and do it just to get the circuit of our itinerary closed. sigh. Once it's all done it will feel great! But the decision process to get the whole thing together is stressful.

KK I hadn't thought about PCC not being able to give credit for certain benefits... was just thinking that they can make price adjustments, cabin upgrades or OBC after final payment... maybe not true?

Recently our PCC gave us 3 choices when our price went down after final payment. I think it was either a free upgrade to a higher category, some OBC, or $$ for yet a higher category. We took the OBC as we were happy with our cabin choice.

Recently our PCC gave us 3 choices when our price went down after final payment. I think it was either a free upgrade to a higher category, some OBC, or $$ for yet a higher category. We took the OBC as we were happy with our cabin choice.

We had a similar experience when we called our PCC after final payment. When we called her, she put us on hold while she called someone in "inventory Department" who authorized her to offer us an upsell to a Neptune Suite that was too good to turn down. We decided that an upsell to a NS on a cruise that was nearly "sold out" was better than the $100 p/p price drop.

Our HAL PCC seems to always be able to get us a free room for Alaska cruises if we are in a Neptune Suite.

It must be noted that she can grant only $400 p/p of OBC after final payment. We usually collect that for our low-season Caribbean cruises as the prices usually take a dive in order to fill the ship.

Well thanks all. Today we're working on booking the river cruise on Viking and the Norway coastal cruise on Hurtigruten. I think we'll wait until the dust settles before we book the Maasdam return TA. The prices now look bizarre. At least in the room types we'd consider. Insides and OV both start at $2800 now for a 21 night crossing... one step at a time for us today, but your experiences may sway me over to a PCC this time. m--

Well thanks all. Today we're working on booking the river cruise on Viking and the Norway coastal cruise on Hurtigruten.

I would love to read anything and everything you have to say about your cruise on Hurtigruten! I have mulled over taking a cruise with them so many times that I can't even count that high. But I've often wondered about the food, and starving on a cruise. :eek:

Please do tell all---on the HAL forum!---when you return.

I would love to read anything and everything you have to say about your cruise on Hurtigruten! I have mulled over taking a cruise with them so many times that I can't even count that high. But I've often wondered about the food, and starving on a cruise. :eek:

I hope we get the chance Ruth! Friends of ours did it and found it quite satisfactory with regard to the food but it is not a typical cruise. I think Hurtigruten has given up on the "half board" pricing and all cabin categories are now full board... except maybe for locals getting on and off for short runs. There is an a la cart cafeteria that's sounds very expensive and not for me; they have coffee mugs for about $50 so you can refill as much as you want - I hear the decaf is instant but that's so common abroad, I'll deal with that ok.. I think we'll deal well with the buffet for breakfast and lunch; their dinners are fixed 3-course meals serving a lot of fresh local fish but also deer, reindeer stew, chicken, beef, and pork... one can check out the dinner menu in the morning and ask for an "alternative meal" but I'm not sure if you'd know what you'd get. I figure, if I don't like the food that much I may not gain as much weight:D. And we hope we'll be coupling it up with a river cruise on it's heels where I'm sure we will be more than adequately wined and dined. We loved the glaciers in Alaska, the fjords in Chile and New Zealand so Norway is next - that's the big draw! Fingers crossed! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

• 3 weeks later...

We booked our Transatlantic return from Europe on Maasdam through a HAL PCC... first time to use that approach. So far we are at, or slightly better than, advertised deals from TA - PCC was able to give us a bit of OBC and maybe a PC dinner? although the OBC shows up on My Account, the PC dinner does not, so not sure if we got the OBC in place of the dinner.

We booked the last available H category several days ago, and I see now on HAL site that they are selling H Guarantees at the some price, so maybe that would have been better, not sure. We are not crazy about the room location, too near the bow for us but I'm hoping we might get shifted.

I'll let you know as this unfolds. The rest of the trip has come into focus so the circuit is closed now from the states and return to the states, all cruises and flights... still need 1 hotel - the stopover in Iceland on our way to Norway for the Hurtigruten coast ferry/cruise. Booked our first river cruise on Viking, Amsterdam to Budapest, then to Rome for a few days before the TA return. Gonna be a great trip!! m--

Ruth, I'm taking a Hurtigruten cruise later this year too...will post here later.

Ruth, I'm taking a Hurtigruten cruise later this year too...will post here later.

That will be wonderful! Thanks. I know I love the itineraries that line sails, but I just don't know if I would enjoy the ships. I'm afraid I'll starve to death (I am NOT eating herring :rolleyes:)!

I appreciate the opportunity to find out a little more from a personal experience perspective.