Question about cabin classes

kuddles14

We have sailed several times with Royal but this will be our first with Celebrity. We have a 2A Veranda cabin, mid ship which we are happy with. However I have been looking through Celebrity's web site and my curiosity was peaked by their Concierge category. Is this something worth considering? Are they located mid ship? Seems like you get a few perks with them? We will be sailing on the Silhouette this coming March, and yes we are Platinum with Royal so were able to be given a Captain Circle number. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

On S class ships, the concierge cabins are the exact same size as regular balconies. On M class ships they are slightly larger than regular balconies. You receive an extra point towards the next loyalty level for booking a concierge cabin or higher, if that matters to you. The rest of the "perks" are things that are of little or no value IMHO. I mean, the fruit or snacks are things you could get gratis from room service or the buffet. I would only book a concierge cabin if it were the cheapest balcony category....which, odd as it sounds, does occasionally happen due to what category is lagging in sales.

Agree with NOT worth it usually, unless you really want a location only available through that category.

We were booked in a hump cabin during first year of Eclipse. Spouse chaned it to Concierge to have aft location. It was nice watching the sea off the aft section, but the stateroom was identical and the perks were lame.

Here is a recent thread discussing the pros and cons. We love Concierge and will book it everytime it falls in our budget, Cabin location is far more important than the perks, but a lot of them we do use. A lot of varying opinions on these three pages lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056983

Edited by Christine Frances

Concierge cabins can be found all over the ship. The perks are nothing special imo.

Many of the perks are just hype or available to everyone on the ship....Some, no one on this board has ever been able to figure out what they are....

On M class ships they are slightly larger than regular balconies.

On M class ships, the concierge staterooms are about 15% larger. Standard staterooms are 170 sq ft with a 38 sq ft balcony, while Concierge staterooms are 191 sq ft with a 42 sq ft balcony. The extra sq footage will be in the sitting area, and includes a longer sofa and wider desk. My wife does yoga and stretching exercises in the morning and the larger stateroom has enough room for her, but not the standard stateroom.

Edited by boogs

On M class ships, the concierge staterooms are about 15% larger. Standard staterooms are 170 sq ft with a 38 sq ft balcony, while Concierge staterooms are 191 sq ft with a 42 sq ft balcony. The extra sq footage will be in the sitting area, and includes a longer sofa and wider desk. My wife does yoga and stretching exercises in the morning and the larger stateroom has enough room for her, but not the standard stateroom.

Agreed, CC is worth the extra for a tangible/valuable benefit on M Class, not so much on S class, but YMMV!!

On S Class to ME, location is far more important. Being midship has a lot of value to ME, way more than a footstool or a thicker towel.

Here is a recent thread discussing the pros and cons. We love Concierge and will book it everytime it falls in our budget, Cabin location is far more important than the perks, but a lot of them we do use. A lot of varying opinions on these three pages lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056983

Thank you for the link. Read through the thread...lol see what you mean. We have an A2 hump cabin which my husband actually wanted this time. (Surprised me when he said he likes the hump so he can see from end to end) Never realized he cared. Lol So I guess we will stay with what we have for now unless a better price comes along.

Look at the deck plans for each S class ship. Most people consider the hump cabins to be the ones midships, where the deck slants on both port and starboard. There are 4 cabins, I believe, on each slant, four facing forward on the slant and four facing aft on the slant.. with the 1st and the 3rd cabins having the largest balconies. The 2nd and 4th balconies are also quite large. There is also a hump/slant area on the decks , forward.

Thank you for sharing. How can I book a hump cabin?
Edited by wv4891

Agreed, CC is worth the extra for a tangible/valuable benefit on M Class, not so much on S class, but YMMV!!

On S Class to ME, location is far more important. Being midship has a lot of value to ME, way more than a footstool or a thicker towel.

Totally agree about location! That is why Celebrity added Deck 10 (Sky deck) just for me:D:D

We have an A2 hump cabin which my husband actually wanted this time. (Surprised me when he said he likes the hump so he can see from end to end)

I'm with him on that. I love looking out at the endless expanses of ocean around us. Being able to see end to end is more important to me than snagging one of the angled balconies that some people seem to covet, with their restricted viewing angles. Give me a room on the flat of the hump, and I will be happy for hours just gazing at the aquatic world passing by. I've seen ships, dolphins, flying fish, and once even a mermaid waving at me (OK, just kidding about that last one!).

Not a bad way to spend some quality time - not bad at all!

I'm with him on that. I love looking out at the endless expanses of ocean around us. Being able to see end to end is more important to me than snagging one of the angled balconies that some people seem to covet, with their restricted viewing angles. Give me a room on the flat of the hump, and I will be happy for hours just gazing at the aquatic world passing by. I've seen ships, dolphins, flying fish, and once even a mermaid waving at me (OK, just kidding about that last one!).

Not a bad way to spend some quality time - not bad at all!

I totally agree with this. I've been all over the ship and our midship flat part of the hump balcony cabin was by far my favorite

Check the square footage of the cabin you booked and of a Concierge cabin. The Celebrity cruises I have booked I chose a Concierge cabin over a regular balcony cabin because in the location I wanted there was a difference in size.

We are on Infinity so M class ship. It's not a lot, about 20 square feet, but for 42 nights that extra 20 will help a bit. :)

Check the square footage of the cabin you booked and of a Concierge cabin. The Celebrity cruises I have booked I chose a Concierge cabin over a regular balcony cabin because in the location I wanted there was a difference in size.

We are on Infinity so M class ship. It's not a lot, about 20 square feet, but for 42 nights that extra 20 will help a bit. :)

I think Concierge cabins on M class ships are worth it if not too much extra due to the additional space, but on S class all the cabins up to suites are the identical size.

The term "hump" like "sweet sixteen" is something we Cruise Critic posters know but travel agents and Celebrity generally don't, so you will have to tell them you want a slanted balcony or specify some sample room numbers so they have something to go on.