When to board the Oasis?

We got a call yesterday evening from an automated RCL messaging system related my son's 6/28 Oasis sailing.

It recommended arriving at the port based on your cabin deck level. For Desk 12 (our level) it said to arrive at 2:45. We found this a bit odd and late.

He has to check out of the hotel at 11am and was planning on having a taxi take them to the port then for a somewhat early check-in.

They are only Gold status so I guess he doesn't qualify for early boarding. But he and his new wife are going on a honeymoon cruise and are looking forward to relaxing.

Is this normal for the Oasis?

We got a call yesterday evening from an automated RCL messaging system related my son's 6/28 Oasis sailing.

It recommended arriving at the port based on your cabin deck level. For Desk 12 (our level) it said to arrive at 2:45. We found this a bit odd and late.

He has to check out of the hotel at 11am and was planning on having a taxi take them to the port then for a somewhat early check-in.

They are only Gold status so I guess he doesn't qualify for early boarding. But he and his new wife are going on a honeymoon cruise and are looking forward to relaxing.

Is this normal for the Oasis?

Here's an existing thread on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2061901

I got them messages on my 2012 and 2013 cruise never got it for last cruise. I wouldnt listen to it. I showed up for the Oasis at the port at 1030 and was on within the hour

I got them messages on my 2012 and 2013 cruise never got it for last cruise. I wouldnt listen to it. I showed up for the Oasis at the port at 1030 and was on within the hour

Agree. Both times we were on Oasis we arrived at the pier between 10:30 - 11:00 and were on board by 11:30. They don't follow any timed boarding schedule, other than suites and higher tier C & A members board first.

You can arrive when you want to, up to the port

You cannot board till rci says you can, up to them, they set they time for boarding to begin

Being able to check in does not mean the boarding process has started and if you are too early, a wait could happen

You can arrive when you want to, up to the port

You cannot board till rci says you can, up to them, they set they time for boarding to begin

Being able to check in does not mean the boarding process has started and if you are too early, a wait could happen

All true, but it is not usually good to arrive at the port before 10:00 AM to avoid congestion with disembarking passengers. In our experience delays are infrequent (and usually associated with customs in particular on TA's, or occasional Coast Guard inspections, etc.) and boarding typically begins around 11:00 AM on most cruises we've been on, including Oasis.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My guess is that when they're trying to suggest you don't board by then because your cabin won't be ready until that time, based on the deck order in which they are planning to clean.

I got the same email and it says we should board at 2:30. We're going to board whenever we can. That said, I'm not expecting to be able to get into my room until 2:30, now.

My guess is that when they're trying to suggest you don't board by then because your cabin won't be ready until that time, based on the deck order in which they are planning to clean.

I got the same email and it says we should board at 2:30. We're going to board whenever we can. That said, I'm not expecting to be able to get into my room until 2:30, now.

I doubt it has anything to do with that. That is a very late time to suggest for boarding as you must be on board 90 minutes prior to sailing, which as you will depart at 5:00, means you must be on board by 3:30 latest. There may be some other reason for this request - perhaps a ship inspection or something - as that is not a normal boarding time. Or they are just trying to stagger boarding to reduce terminal wait time in the afternoon. But we have always been on board and having lunch by noon.

They ready the staterooms on all decks simultaneously and state that they will be available by 1:00. In our experience they have always been ready and we have been able to access them between 1:00 - 1:30, after we finish lunch. This has been true as indicated in our sailings with Oasis.

If it were my cruise I would still arrive earlier than that to board - unless there is a specific reason delaying boarding for this particular cruise, at which point the worst that would happen would be a departure lounge wait. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

RCI is just trying to spread out the congestion of people. They aren't actually making you wait until an assigned time. We paid no attention to that instruction when we sailed the Allure. Sure, we took our time about leaving our hotel, (slept late, lingered over breakfast) but still had to check out by 11:00. What else it there to do with any extra time at that point, with a load of luggage in tow? Just go to the pier when you usually would, but mentally prepare for a wait when you get there, which easily might not happen. Remember, attitude is everything. It's not like you're waiting in the grocery line. With the right attitude, the wait is part of the fun. And if there is no wait, well that's all the better.

Hi all! If it helps, here is the post from our Oasis trip report from May describing Embarkation day. Should alleviate some questions and what to expect. Further up in the report, you'll also find links to scans you can download for both Eastern and Western compasses and other docs. Questions just let me know!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42906498&postcount=21

Once again, hope you and Lisa enjoy your cruise. I am certain you will!

Thanks Mike. Before we book our next cruise I should look at your countdown clock and actually see if we could line one up again. It would be fun.

Have a great Fourth of July.

Andrew

Hi all! If it helps, here is the post from our Oasis trip report from May describing Embarkation day. Should alleviate some questions and what to expect. Further up in the report, you'll also find links to scans you can download for both Eastern and Western compasses and other docs. Questions just let me know!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42906498&postcount=21

Im also on this sailing and wondering if you received the same email that we did. RCI even called my brother who is my emergency contact with the boarding times. Im obsessed as most of us are with being 1 of the first on, but my parents are coming with us and I dont want to make them sit for ours waiting to board.

Thanks!!

BTW - Loved your review!

Im also on this sailing and wondering if you received the same email that we did. RCI even called my brother who is my emergency contact with the boarding times. Im obsessed as most of us are with being 1 of the first on, but my parents are coming with us and I dont want to make them sit for ours waiting to board.

Thanks!!

BTW - Loved your review!

Same thing happened to our emergency contact. In fact, we never got a phone call, just the email. Why would they call our emergency contact and not us? :confused:

At any rate, we will be arriving at the pier once we check out of our hotel. No use waiting around when I can be on the ship!! Can't wait to sail with everyone!

I'm on the Oasis right now. We also got that email and text before sailing saying for us to come at 2:30. We ignored it and arrived at our usual time of 10:45, went right through and were boarding the ship at 11:30. Our rooms were ready at 1:00. Hope that helps. We were glad we didn't wait!

We just sailed Oasis on 5/31. I got no text or e-mail. We were on Deck 12 also, but we had booked a suite. The transportation we had booked left the hotel at 11:00 a.m. We arrived at the port around 11:30. We did have to wait for probably 30 minutes to board the ship after check-in. It was very chaotic outside the port at that time.