Documentation needed to bring a friend question.

I just got off the phone with Royal. I am bringing my sons friend on a cruise this weekend. I have the notArized authorization from the parent to bring the child on the cruise. I also have his passport. She kept her maiden name and it is different from the child's. royal told me I do not need the birth certificate as long as I have the notarized letter and his passport. The mother doesn't want to g e me his original birth certificate, but I have a copy of it.

Does anyone have experience with this. I have also read the family documentation on the website and it doesn't say anything about different names for mother/child only if they ate your own children.

Edited by irishgal432

I saw that and Royal said the names of the parent and child did not matter and there is no mention in the verbiage copied from the website. It only mentions if you as a parent have a different name.

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

So I am thinking I do not need a certified copy of the birth certificate.

Edited by irishgal432

We have travelled with friends of my kids numerous times. We have always travelled with passports and a notarized letter from their parents giving permission on all matters concerning their child.

We have never been asked to present the letters. My guess is if they needed medical attention, they might ask for the letter.

Bring the passport and notarized letter and have fun.

Yes we have his insurance card as well. I was afraid since their last names were different on the authorization form they would not allow us to board.

The last name would be different on the BC as well as they normally put the mothers maiden name.

Her name is on the bc because she kept her maiden name when she go married. So her son has his fathers last name on the bc as well

This was a last minute cruise and the father is out if the country so he can't sign the paper.

Edited by irishgal432

I just got off the phone with Royal. I am bringing my sons friend on a cruise this weekend. I have the notArized authorization from the parent to bring the child on the cruise. I also have his passport. She kept her maiden name and it is different from the child's. royal told me I do not need the birth certificate as long as I have the notarized letter and his passport. The mother doesn't want to g e me his original birth certificate, but I have a copy of it.

Does anyone have experience with this. I have also read the family documentation on the website and it doesn't say anything about different names for mother/child only if they ate your own children.

I see why you have to bring your son's friend. :D

Yeah, Yeah. I know it was a typo (at least I hope it was) but it was still funny to me when I read it.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Her name is on the bc because she kept her maiden name when she go married. So her son has his fathers last name on the bc as well

This was a last minute cruise and the father is out if the country so he can't sign the paper.

I understood that part, in your OP you seemed to imply that you would be better with the BC than the Passport, but the Mother doesn't want to give to the original BC. I was just trying to point out that even with the BC, the mothers name would be the same as on the Letter, so having the BC would be of no advantage.

You will be fine with what you've got anyway, have done this many times, with just a BC ID and letter.

I understood that part, in your OP you seemed to imply that you would be better with the BC than the Passport, but the Mother doesn't want to give to the original BC. I was just trying to point out that even with the BC, the mothers name would be the same as on the Letter, so having the BC would be of no advantage.

You will be fine with what you've got anyway, have done this many times, with just a BC ID and letter.

Sorry for the confusion.

My thinking was that because her name is not the same as her child, you couldn't see she had the authorization to send her son. That is why I would have needed a bridging document ( BC) to show her name and his name was on the BC.

It sounds like, it doesn't matter if their names are different,

If it were me, I would get on the phone with Royal Caribbean and get definitive answers. This is too important for a message board to answer, as your whole vacation rides on getting it right. Get the names of everyone you speak to at RCI, and insist that they send you something in writing that states, in no uncertain terms, exactly what documentation you need, specifically addressing your situation.

Then come back and let us know the answers, also.

If it were me, I would get on the phone with Royal Caribbean and get definitive answers. This is too important for a message board to answer, as your whole vacation rides on getting it right. Get the names of everyone you speak to at RCI, and insist that they send you something in writing that states, in no uncertain terms, exactly what documentation you need, specifically addressing your situation.

Then come back and let us know the answers, also.

I agree. I spoke with 3 separate representatives, I have their name and calling times. I also have a copy of their policy regarding minors. I also contacted my ya who contacted them. All the same answer. Just a notarized letter from one parent without regards to different names. We leave on Friday and will let you know.

I did get a notarized copy of his certified bc so I should be good to go.

I boarded the Enchantment today. The checkin agent did not even ask for any documentation at all. Just passport.

Glad it worked out. You know how it works - if you had not been prepared, they would have probably asked for something.:rolleyes: