Akaroa as a port around for some time yet

Local officials in Christchurch today announced plans for the upgrading of Lytlleton as a port. The aim is to increase the size of the container terminal and upgrade and beautify the port. The cost is estimated to be $NZ 1 billion over next 30 years. When pressed on when cruise ships may return the response was not in the near future as returns from cruise lines does not justify the extra capital cost in bringing them back.

So it looks like Akaroa is going to be the port of call for some time yet

Theres an old saying ... its not over till the fat lady sings....

and I dont think she will be singing in Lyttleton for quite a while yet.

I 've got the feeling a few more players will emerge on the scene , all pushing their own barrow.

The Christchurch tourist folk are allready pitching, then the Govt tourist board will get involved. The biggest push will come when Ann Sherry from Carnival Australia teams up with Carol Marlow from Cunard , and they both start waving the big stick. They did it to Brisbane and they got a second cruise terminal. Gavin Smith from RCCL will also probably get in on the act. While they are all happy to go to Akaroa as a short term solution , they want the economy of docking at a regular port again.

It may very well be what the Port of Lyttleton is wanting to happen .They can then hold out their hand and ask for a contribution from the cruise industry.:D

Theres an old saying ... its not over till the fat lady sings....

and I dont think she will be singing in Lyttleton for quite a while yet.

I 've got the feeling a few more players will emerge on the scene , all pushing their own barrow.

The Christchurch tourist folk are allready pitching, then the Govt tourist board will get involved. The biggest push will come when Ann Sherry from Carnival Australia teams up with Carol Marlow from Cunard , and they both start waving the big stick. They did it to Brisbane and they got a second cruise terminal. Gavin Smith from RCCL will also probably get in on the act. While they are all happy to go to Akaroa as a short term solution , they want the economy of docking at a regular port again.

It may very well be what the Port of Lyttleton is wanting to happen .They can then hold out their hand and ask for a contribution from the cruise industry.:D

It again comes down to priorities and unless the Industry sees it as a priority and fronts up with some money then a cruise terminal will have to wait. People waiting over three years to get their homes fixed and infrastructure to stop their streets flooding every time it rains is of somewhat greater priority than catering for overseas tourists for an 8 hour period especially when Akaroa is doing such a great job filling the void

It again comes down to priorities and unless the Industry sees it as a priority and fronts up with some money then a cruise terminal will have to wait. People waiting over three years to get their homes fixed and infrastructure to stop their streets flooding every time it rains is of somewhat greater priority than catering for overseas tourists for an 8 hour period especially when Akaroa is doing such a great job filling the void

I do agree with this, having friends and family still not in repaired homes as yet..

I love the idea of Lyttleton as port again, I love Akaroa too, such a lovely place..

I may go back on a cruise/land tour in 2 years as I've never been to the North Island, will be interesting to see how things progress..

People waiting over three years to get their homes fixed and infrastructure to stop their streets flooding every time it rains is of somewhat greater priority

Then why is a bigger container terminal a higher priority than people waiting to get their homes fixed and infrastructure to stop their streets flooding?

As a first-time cruiser to NZ, and since my ship will be docking in Akaroa, I would like to know whether we should just tour Akaroa rather than getting to Christchurch. I welcome feedback. Also, if we should go to Christchurch, any suggestions as to tour companies?

Thanks

As a first-time cruiser to NZ, and since my ship will be docking in Akaroa, I would like to know whether we should just tour Akaroa rather than getting to Christchurch. I welcome feedback. Also, if we should go to Christchurch, any suggestions as to tour companies?

Thanks

You'll actually be tendering ashore

Not sure how long you have in port but while Akaroa is lovely it's not big - I would recommend that you take a ships tour in and around Christchurch or organise a private tour

Then why is a bigger container terminal a higher priority than people waiting to get their homes fixed and infrastructure to stop their streets flooding?

A much greater return on investment I suspect - and a major city and region that rely on exports needs a working port

The Akaroa solution, while not ideal, does work in the meantime

IMHO Lyttleton is closer to CHCH but Akaroa is a more beautiful place. Cheers Di

Appreciate this interesting update and the varied comments. YES, agree that we, too, totally enjoyed Akaroa and its beautiful setting. We did the Tranz Alpine rail trip and then the awesome JetBoat adventure on the Waimakariri River. In Māori, that name means "river of cold rushing water". True!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 63,466 views for this fun posting.

A much greater return on investment I suspect - and a major city and region that rely on exports needs a working port

The Akaroa solution, while not ideal, does work in the meantime

The thing is that it's already a working port, it's not that it doesn't have that facility.

It sounds like it's not about priorities with infrastructure and homes, but that there's a question about the return from cruise ship visitors - which is quite a valid one.

The thing is that it's already a working port, it's not that it doesn't have that facility.

It sounds like it's not about priorities with infrastructure and homes, but that there's a question about the return from cruise ship visitors - which is quite a valid one.

The return on investment is the prime reason for the delay in rebuilding cruise ship facilities in light of demand on Capital elsewhere

Yes ....it is a working port , and is currently working. I think more comes into play these days. While existing wharves serve the multi use of freight and passengers , the building of a new facility will involve all the Health and Safety requirements and Resource Consents to be catered to and obtained.

In many ways , we as passengers ,and the cruise industry , can be thankful for the existing infrastructure that is available throughout Australia and New Zealand.

The previous use of Lyttleton by the big cruise ships always involved passengers playing "dodge em" with the containers which was/is not really acceptable.

It is very easy for us to say ...Just build a new dock... but when the sums are all done , the infrequent use by the cruise ships does not tally up.

Thanks for your suggestion Bodogbodog. Unfortunately the only ship tour is transportation to and from Christchurch. We are looking for more of a tour and time to wander around on our own time.

MGS13, I would recommend the Akaroa Dolphins tour. We did it on our cruise earlier this year and it's one of the best tours we have been on during our years of cruising. Sea Princess offered it onboard but you can also book direct with the operator and save some money. This is what we did, booking online before we left home.

The tour is by boat starting in the harbour and travelling outside into open water. We saw seals, dolphins, bird colonies, penguins and amazing rock formations and caves. Really wonderful and run by a local family. We still had time to look around the lovely town of Akaroa, do some gift shopping and have lunch in a local café.

If you want more details please let me know.