Balcony Question

We have not stayed in a side facing balcony before (only afts).

I know on the aft balconies there are a number of steel girders above that we were able to tie ropes to for our hammock.

Wondering if there is anything similar on Freedom and Oasis class ships as I would love to have the hammock on our balcony?

Nothing like spending the sea day lazing about in the hammock.:)

We have not stayed in a side facing balcony before (only afts).

I know on the aft balconies there are a number of steel girders above that we were able to tie ropes to for our hammock.

Wondering if there is anything similar on Freedom and Oasis class ships as I would love to have the hammock on our balcony?

Nothing like spending the sea day lazing about in the hammock.:)

Ken, we were on the Allure last November in a "bump" balcony cabin (#10596, if my memory serves). I don't recall seeing anything you could tie a hammock up to on that particular balcony.

Thanks Bob.

Looks like I'm 0 for 2 on the balconies.:(

Wish they'd had some aft d2's on the Freedom.

We have some friends who always try to book 1406 or 1706. Those are the best aft balconies in my opinion. Granted, not D2s either.

I'm not worried about the room. I'll move the chairs inside temporarily if necessary just wondering about being able to have something to attach it to. Thanks though.:)

Ken, guess you're just going to have to bring a tree with you.....:D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Given how much stuff my DW packs it would not surprise me.:D:D:D

OMG...I can just picture you laying a hammock under a tree on your balcony sipping your beverage of choice! All you would need is a couple of attractive females in grass hula skirts and coconut bikini tops fanning you with palm frons! :D;)

OMG...I can just picture you laying a hammock under a tree on your balcony sipping your beverage of choice! All you would need is a couple of attractive females in grass hula skirts and coconut bikini tops fanning you with palm frons! :D;)

I refuse to reply to that on the grounds that my DW may read this.:D:D:D

Ken, you might be out of luck. We've stayed in 2 side cabins (both humps). I don't have a good pic of the upper portion of the balconies, but these 4 might help. BTW, those balcony dividers open, so the dividers themselves are not particularly strong or rigid. By looking at the photos, the framework doesn't look too sturdy either. I don't recal any hooks or other things to tie a hammock to.

Note: the last one was from our JS. There is an extra support shown which is not present on the normal balconies.

DSC_0220_zps371e0220.jpgDSC_0217_zpsd7b02342.jpgDSC_0299_zps1d5444b8.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsa2333123.jpg

I LOVE your hammock idea and, yes it might not fit. BUT if the type of hammock is one of those net type that we used to take camping - the nylon kind that rolls up into a small ball?

It might just fit kitty corner. You could attach one end to the balcony rail and for the other, get a small c-clamp to attach to the girder. You could even find a heavy duty plastic one at Home Depot.

May not work, a lot of variables involved. But it would be REALLY COOL if it did and the pictures would go down in CC history!!!!!

Good luck!

Ken, you might be out of luck. We've stayed in 2 side cabins (both humps). I don't have a good pic of the upper portion of the balconies, but these 4 might help. BTW, those balcony dividers open, so the dividers themselves are not particularly strong or rigid. By looking at the photos, the framework doesn't look too sturdy either. I don't recal any hooks or other things to tie a hammock to.

Note: the last one was from our JS. There is an extra support shown which is not present on the normal balconies.

DSC_0220_zps371e0220.jpgDSC_0217_zpsd7b02342.jpgDSC_0299_zps1d5444b8.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsa2333123.jpg

Thanks for the pics Todd . This absolutely helps.

I LOVE your hammock idea and, yes it might not fit. BUT if the type of hammock is one of those net type that we used to take camping - the nylon kind that rolls up into a small ball?

It might just fit kitty corner. You could attach one end to the balcony rail and for the other, get a small c-clamp to attach to the girder. You could even find a heavy duty plastic one at Home Depot.

May not work, a lot of variables involved. But it would be REALLY COOL if it did and the pictures would go down in CC history!!!!!

Good luck!

I was just thinking this. It is one of the mesh hammocks that we bought in Cozumel.

Looking at the pictures posted by Todd it does look like it could go kitty corner with the C clamp on the girder near the cabin. The other end on the rail or wrapped around the steel pole that goes floor to ceiling (non nautical terms) and supports the balcony divider.

We have side by side cabins on both ships so hoping we can get the dividers opened.

Add to the luggage checklist..hammock, rope, and C clamps. (No tree):D

If it works I will post pictures. :)

I was just thinking this. It is one of the mesh hammocks that we bought in Cozumel.

Looking at the pictures posted by Todd it does look like it could go kitty corner with the C clamp on the girder near the cabin. The other end on the rail or wrapped around the steel pole that goes floor to ceiling (non nautical terms) and supports the balcony divider.

We have side by side cabins on both ships so hoping we can get the dividers opened.

Add to the luggage checklist..hammock, rope, and C clamps. (No tree):D

If it works I will post pictures. :)

....only if it includes you sipping on the drink and being fanned as previously outlined! :D

And yes, you can have the dividers opened as long as the Captain allows it. But in your case with the hammock and the girls, well..........;)