Ports of Scandinavia - LIVE from the Voyager 6/28 - 7/27/2014

So happy to see NJBelle posting. We haven't met but will at the M&G if not sooner. We did enjoy sailing into and out of Oslo. We walked into town from the ship yesterday. It is really a beautiful, clean and friendly city.

This morning I asked about the internet going down last night and learned that it will be happening more frequently the farther north that we sail. Today we are in Kristiansand -- the port we were in 3 days ago. Today we will take the shuttle into town and walk around. This one of the "small" ports that we find charming.

Dinner in Sette Mari last night was very good. Tonight is the Captain's Reception -- the first of two "Formal Optional" nights. My DH is not dressing formal but will wear a jacket and tie (along with pants:-)

Hope to report from Bergen, Norway if possible. I will certainly enjoy reading what other posters have done in the same ports that we are in. It will give a much more well-rounded view of the cruise and ports.

J.R. is still the C.D. -- really a lovely man. We look forward to seeing his show again on this segment.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi Jackie and Dennis,

Even though our cruise is over, I'll be following your adventures on that great itinerary!

Bergen was one of my most favorite ports! I'm also hoping to hear all about the "crab expedition"....haha! Send our regards to "Jan" and have him mix up something wonderful and delicious for you and think of me, as you down it!

Linda

Hi Jackie and Dennis,

Even though our cruise is over, I'll be following your adventures on that great itinerary!

Bergen was one of my most favorite ports! I'm also hoping to hear all about the "crab expedition"....haha! Send our regards to "Jan" and have him mix up something wonderful and delicious for you and think of me, as you down it!

Linda

Last night I put my handbag on "your" seat and had 2 "Bellini-tini's". This morning I had my first hangover in a long time;) Actually drinking vodka and champagne is bad enough but I followed it up with wine at dinner. Going to take a nap in a few minutes. Really wish that you were still here.

Walking around the town this morning was lovely. I had to visit the McDonald's where two crew members spent $60 for dinner when we were here 3 days ago. A Big Mac is around $14. One of the complete meals (fish, fries, drink) was around $30 so it is easy to spend that much money. We like to price items in different countries. We saw a Kitchen Aid mixer that costs between $300 and $500 in the U.S. for approximately $1,600.

We saw less smoking here than in Oslo (just an observation). We learned that post offices have moved out of town leaving local stores to sell stamps. My DH attended the lecture yesterday evening and learned how Norway's aging population is creating challenges for the country. I believe he said that their 30% tax (on everything) covers health care and just about everything else.

Nap time:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi Nancy,

I'm here and all is well!

We'll be in port with the Symphony in St Petersburg - haven't a clue about docking but might run into some familiar faces.

Oddly enough, have not seen Jackie or Dennis on board although I did see them in Oslo.

Pegy

Well, I am enjoying my first latte of the cruise in the coffee bar. I had a lazy afternoon....okay, I napped in the shade by the pool. Woke up in time to enjoy the sail away from Kristiansand. And now figure I need a jolt of caffeine to carry me through the evening. I will be starting with other libations soon enough :-)

Yes, Tim, of course I remember you! A fellow Alabamian on the high seas is not someone I would forget. Can you believe our daughters have grown up? Ours just finished her first year in college. She has a summer job so she stayed at home - and judging from her texts she is not happy about being left behind!

As TC says, Ray is not our CD. He was CD with Captain Green when we were on in February (Sydney and beyond). We miss his "and today is going to be a glorious day in .....whoever we were. And it was a glorious day in Kristiansand. We did a nice tour of an open air village, an old church and a fishing village. Very low key and enjoyable. Tomorrow we are in Bergen - I just checked the forecast. Several degrees cooler and no rain! Hope that forecast keeps - if so, it will be the first time we have been in Bergen that it didn't rain (this will be my fourth trip). We have signed up for a hike and that will be much more pleasant in the sunshine.

Still loving the cruise.....

For those of you who are on the ship, after a day in lovely (but much too hot for us) Kristiansand, look for us at the Captain's reception or at early dinner in Compass Rose. I'll be wearing a tweed sports jacket and MAYBE a blue tie, Joan will be wearing a caftan (probably her purple one). Both of us will be wearing silly buttons, such as "Columbus had a Norwegian map" or "Leif Ericson was there 500 years before Columbus". You might have seen us today wearing our blue "This guy (or gal) loves Norway"

I know we said we were demon trivia players; but after two excursions today, we were just too tired. Maybe tomorrow. We'd certainly love to meet more of you before the 13th. We had a great time at the sailaway party, and met two of our CC cruising couples.

Joe (and Joan)

Hi Nancy,

I'm here and all is well!

We'll be in port with the Symphony in St Petersburg - haven't a clue about docking but might run into some familiar faces.

Oddly enough, have not seen Jackie or Dennis on board although I did see them in Oslo.

Pegy

Hi Peggy...great to hear from you and happy to hear all is well.

Again, have a wonderful journey.

Nancy

Greetings from Bergen, Norway. From the ship, the city looks like a postcard -- so beautiful!

Had dinner night with the Staff Captain. We laughed more than we have in a long time. He is a delightful man who is fairly new to Regent. He spent 15 years with Celebrity and a short time with Wind Star. Our group was very compatible and he said that he will try to get us together again during this cruise in Prime 7. Also want to mention that the lobster last night might have been the best we have had on Regent - ever!

After 14 port days in a row, we are yearning for sea days. Fortunately we are doing 1/2 day tours - usually in the morning and spend the afternoon reading, relaxing and napping. We are not even thinking about trivia which is unusual for us.

Will report on Bergen tonight (assuming that we have internet). I'm interesting in learning what others on board will be doing. We are on the earliest excursion (8:30 a.m.) so I had better get off of the computer and change clothes. We projected 72 or so degrees just got changed to 80.

As all of you know, people have different tolerance levels. We went through 8 days of no luggage and tolerated it very well. We had smiles on our faces. However, after today's excursion, we are frustrated and are reminded of why we do not like included excursions.

Firstly, the excursion should have been quite good (except for one photo stop). There were 35 people in our bus (what happened to "no more than 30"? There were 6-8 buses leaving at the same time.

Once again, Destination Services has changed the way they do things (probably to stop people from departing early and taking the front seats ...... I have no problem with this). You do not get a bus ticket until you can leave the ship and get on the bus. As I have always said, included excursions for up to 700 passengers is, IMO, almost impossible to do. So, now there are 6-8 busloads of people waiting to get in line for tickets (you can't line up earlier or they ask you to sit down).

As a rule follower, I sat until we were in called and got in line. A huge group of people decided to push in from the sides -- not nicely but like a herd of elephants. When one very tall man almost stepped on me to get ahead of me, I politely asked him to be patient and wait. He did, however, when I got to the front of the line, he stuck is hand with the tickets in front of me. How absolutely rude! What kind of a person would do this? There were plenty of buses.

Anyway, two bus loads of us arrived at the first stop (after the wasted stop). Two bus loads was manageable. At the next stop there were buses all over the place. The temperature was very hot and humid and we had to stand in line while other busloads of passengers were given permission to enter the facility.

As many readers know, Regent excursions is a sticking point with me. We decided to take Regent excursions for two reasons: 1) We have not been to this part of the world before; and 2) We tried to get private tours that would do the same thing as Regent and they were full. After today, the ports we visit are very small and there are no options other than Regent tours as Regent is using all of the available tour operators.

I am done with my rant. Thankfully tomorrow is a sea day and the following day our excursion is 9:00 p.m. The "block party" will be at 6:15 p.m. tonight. We will be in the Observation Lounge having our before dinner cocktail. Looking forward to dinner in Compass Rose.

Just noticed that the computer room is totally full (with a waiting line). So, I will get my French coffee and take a rest.

Again, am anxious to learn what others did in Bergen today. It is a lovely city -- our guide was delightful ...... but you now know the rest of the story.

OH NO! Sounds like it was a debacle, a disaster! What was the excursion and where were you going? I'm so sorry! I'm hoping that was the worst of it and all other trips will be good. Did you get your crab expedition? Would be really interested in hearing about that one.

Still doing cruise withdrawl here at home. Had to make own coffee this am and no one's here to spread out the little white table cloth with 3 yards of silverware!!

Oh well, must live vicariously through you and Dennis! Have a treat in the Ob. Lounge for us...! Looking forward to your next report,

Hugs all around,

L&J

It's amazing how many more cruisers and travelers in general there are now compared with 30 years ago, even 10 years ago. I remember Bergen, Oslo, and other European ports before the crowds. My last few trips to Europe and Asia have not been as pleasant due to the crowds. Jackie, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience in Bergen. Oslo and Bergen are my favorites in Norway.

Edited by Travel2Learn

We did the funicular up Mt. Floyen and Trollhaugen (Grieg's house). The funicular was great, and the two or three photo ops also great. Trollhaugen was a zoo. Too many tour groups from too many ships in port (3). We gave up on Grieg's house, and instead went on our own to the museum and the walking paths. Much better. On a scale of A to F, we'd give the tour a C plus: A minus for Mt. Floyen, D for Trollhaugen.

As all of you know, people have different tolerance levels. We went through 8 days of no luggage and tolerated it very well. We had smiles on our faces. However, after today's excursion, we are frustrated and are reminded of why we do not like included excursions.

Firstly, the excursion should have been quite good (except for one photo stop). There were 35 people in our bus (what happened to "no more than 30"? There were 6-8 buses leaving at the same time.

Once again, Destination Services has changed the way they do things (probably to stop people from departing early and taking the front seats ...... I have no problem with this). You do not get a bus ticket until you can leave the ship and get on the bus. As I have always said, included excursions for up to 700 passengers is, IMO, almost impossible to do. So, now there are 6-8 busloads of people waiting to get in line for tickets (you can't line up earlier or they ask you to sit down).

As a rule follower, I sat until we were in called and got in line. A huge group of people decided to push in from the sides -- not nicely but like a herd of elephants. When one very tall man almost stepped on me to get ahead of me, I politely asked him to be patient and wait. He did, however, when I got to the front of the line, he stuck is hand with the tickets in front of me. How absolutely rude! What kind of a person would do this? There were plenty of buses.

Anyway, two bus loads of us arrived at the first stop (after the wasted stop). Two bus loads was manageable. At the next stop there were buses all over the place. The temperature was very hot and humid and we had to stand in line while other busloads of passengers were given permission to enter the facility.

As many readers know, Regent excursions is a sticking point with me. We decided to take Regent excursions for two reasons: 1) We have not been to this part of the world before; and 2) We tried to get private tours that would do the same thing as Regent and they were full. After today, the ports we visit are very small and there are no options other than Regent tours as Regent is using all of the available tour operators.

I am done with my rant. Thankfully tomorrow is a sea day and the following day our excursion is 9:00 p.m. The "block party" will be at 6:15 p.m. tonight. We will be in the Observation Lounge having our before dinner cocktail. Looking forward to dinner in Compass Rose.

Just noticed that the computer room is totally full (with a waiting line). So, I will get my French coffee and take a rest.

Again, am anxious to learn what others did in Bergen today. It is a lovely city -- our guide was delightful ...... but you now know the rest of the story.

We have not sailed on Regent yet, but the logistical descriptions of some of the included tours sounds like the worst of what the mainstream lines offer. It just doesn't sound like a luxury experience IMO. From what I understand, you can't opt-out of the included tours for a credit, correct? We prefer private tours, or tours with small groups that would fit in a single van (~10 people max). Oceania doesn't have this included tour scheme does it?

We have not sailed on Regent yet, but the logistical descriptions of some of the included tours sounds like the worst of what the mainstream lines offer. It just doesn't sound like a luxury experience IMO. From what I understand, you can't opt-out of the included tours for a credit, correct? We prefer private tours, or tours with small groups that would fit in a single van (~10 people max). Oceania doesn't have this included tour scheme does it?

The only time I have seen Oceania include excursions was this year specifically on a special for cruises including St Petersburg as an incentive to book. (There may have been others I don't know about) Oceania excursions are very expensive. A number of years ago, they were more reasonably priced and we took some of them. Now when we sail with them, we do private or go out on our own, unless we have a huge amount of OBC to spend, which happened once last year.

Oceania is an ala carte line, with the exception of no up charge in specialty restaurants. However, many TAs provide gratuities and there have been cruises with gratuities, internet and OBC depending on promtions, etc.

One of the main reasons I cruise Oceania now after many Regent Cruises. I don't want to pay for those excursions. They do offer some small van excursions but they are very expensive. You can do a whole private van with a tour company for yourself at the per person price Regent charges.

One of the main reasons I cruise Oceania now after many Regent Cruises. I don't want to pay for those excursions. They do offer some small van excursions but they are very expensive. You can do a whole private van with a tour company for yourself at the per person price Regent charges.

One other factor we do consider is what part of the world we are going to. I did not want to try to book tours in Asia or the Middle East and was very pleased with what we had from Regent in the Middle East and for the most part in Asia. I know it varies by individual. I'm OT of this thread and better stop now!

Travelcat,

My daughter and I were on the Voyager from London to Stockholm in June. I am following your posts with great interest. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us.

If you have a chance, please pass along a hello from Tim and Emma to our dear friend Ferdinand in Compass Rose.

First I want to respond to this post. Ferdinand definitely remembers you and considers you both to be friends. We were seated at the table next to "yours". He said that you were on the 2nd Baltic Cruise. When I discussed Miso Glazed Sea Bass with him, he said that you had it while you were on board. his sends his "deepest regards".

We took the same excursion as Joe and Joan and it was indeed a "zoo". We have sailed Oceania and respectfully feel that there is nothing to compare between the two cruise lines in terms of excursions. Their very expensive excursions were excellent. And, while it is nice to say that you can book your own excursion, as mentioned previously, this was not possible for the small ports that we will be visiting in the next few days.

Chatcat, I am a bit confused by your post: "One of the main reasons I cruise Oceania now after many Regent Cruises. I don't want to pay for those excursions. They do offer some small van excursions but they are very expensive. You can do a whole private van with a tour company for yourself at the per person price Regent charges.". Did you mean that you can do a whole private van with a tour company for yourself at the per person price Oceania charges? I agree with that but certainly Regent excursions would not fall into that category.

RJ2002, Unfortunately, you cannot opt out of Regent excursions and receive a credit. In terms of Oceania, some of Oceania tours can have quite a few people. The beauty of Oceania is that you find cruisers on "Roll Call" that you can share private tours with for a very good price (less than Oceania's prices). However, since this thread is not about Oceania, I am trying to stick to Regent as much as possible. While we enjoy Oceania for certain itineraries, we are definitely Regent loyalists;)

findacruise: We also love Regent tours in the Middle East. And, we loved the tours during the first segment of this cruise. Please feel free to post on this thread...... the more the merrier!

Peggy finally found us (not that we were hiding). We will have dinner with her tomorrow night. Not only have we sailed with her two times before, we will be on the Riviera with her in late November. Such a lovely person!!!!!

Mudhen: You do make me laugh (in a good way). Jan is so anxious for Dennis to try a couple of drinks and he keeps sticking with his "usual" (that I cannot spell). He is such a lovely man and he thinks highly of the two of you. He received ONE bottle of some vodka made in Texas and is touting it highly. While I may try it tomorrow, I can't imagine that Texas vodka would be better than Russian vodka (but do believe that it would be better than the hype that surrounds Grey Goose).

Travel2Learn, We absolutely enjoyed Oslo and Bergen. We simply wished that there were less buses on the Bergen excursion. Our time in Oslo was wonderful. There is an issue of weather. Many of us checked the "average" temperatures in all of the ports for this time of the year. What we are experiencing is approximately 15-20 degrees above normal. Although we are thrilled to have our luggage, most of my tops are long sleeved which is too hot for the current weather.

Speaking of Oslo, we learned that the Regent hotel (Scandic) was not air conditioned. If they had not provided fans, it would have been intolerable. Note: If I said this previously, kindly excuse me as I cannot recall everything that I have posted.

Finally we have 2 sea days ahead of us. I am very happy!

Edited by Travelcat2

OMG!!! The vodka is Tito's.......I know it well. Good stuff! Now if they can just get a hold of some Hendrick's (gin), they'd really be cookin'....giggle!

Enjoy your sea days.....it was the only thing missing from the previous cruise!

OMG!!! The vodka is Tito's.......I know it well. Good stuff! Now if they can just get a hold of some Hendrick's (gin), they'd really be cookin'....giggle!

Enjoy your sea days.....it was the only thing missing from the previous cruise!

If you get a chance and like vodka, try Double Cross. http://doublecrossvodka.com/:)

TC2 - I, too, am following the 2nd half posts more closely as we have not done that itinerary and are interested. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, we were on the same Middle East cruise and we did meet - I called you by the wrong name at the bar! Duh. I had a lovely conversation with your DH during our passage through the Suez canal. That was our first Regent cruise and made us believers.

Enjoy your sea days. You have earned them.

F

Chatcat, I am a bit confused by your post: "One of the main reasons I cruise Oceania now after many Regent Cruises. I don't want to pay for those excursions. They do offer some small van excursions but they are very expensive. You can do a whole private van with a tour company for yourself at the per person price Regent charges.". Did you mean that you can do a whole private van with a tour company for yourself at the per person price Oceania charges? I agree with that but certainly Regent excursions would not fall into that category.

RJ2002, Unfortunately, you cannot opt out of Regent excursions and receive a credit. In terms of Oceania, some of Oceania tours can have quite a few people. The beauty of Oceania is that you find cruisers on "Roll Call" that you can share private tours with for a very good price (less than Oceania's prices). However, since this thread is not about Oceania, I am trying to stick to Regent as much as possible. While we enjoy Oceania for certain itineraries, we are definitely Regent loyalists;)

!

Correct - you cannot opt out of Regent Excursions. On our last Regent cruise we did one of the Food and Wine Trails excursions for $269 a person our of Marseille. $538.00 and that was on a bus with 35 people.

I had a private Van tour in Marseille on Oceania that I arranged my self. It was 8 hours and it was $520 Euro - for 6 people. It was fabulous. We went where we wanted to go. We had no laggards, shoppers or as we did in Sorrento on Regent a line out the door so for the full bus to use the restrooms it was 45 minutes of waiting for a potty stop. That is not luxury. Two hours to get to Sorrento, 45 minutes of bathroom and 45 minutes to walk in Sorrento. Two hours back to Naples. The whole trade off is signing for beverages. I will take that any time. Food on the Riviera is better than on Regent in my opinion.

Sailing toward Honningsvag!

Today in Bergen was fabulous. We started out the day with room service and a beautiful view of one of the Bergen harbors. We left for our excursion at 8:50. Have to compliment Regent on the changes to the way busses are boarded. For these last two days, we have only waited a minute or two and then we have headed for the tour. Today we met at the dock and then did a little walking tour of Bergen before we took the funicular to Mt Floyen. The hiking tour was really lovely - but was pretty arduous. Most people made it up to the top, but if you didn't there were still good places to wait and look at beautiful scenery. Our guide was laid-back but herded us along pretty well. Eric and I dubbed our group " a good group". Everyone seemed there to have a good time and went with the plan. It helped a great deal that weather was just gorgeous. Rare day in Bergen. (FYI - we had gotten off a wait list for the Ole Bull excursion, but when we knew that it wouldn't rain today, we said - this the day for a hike!). Anyway, all went well and we had a great time afterwards in Bergen.

When we got back to the ship, had one of the best showers of my life when I washed all the hiking sweat off. Enjoyed the sail away from the veranda with a glass of wine. Then read my book (Note: normally I read 4-6 books on a cruise, but have only read 100 pages of my novel so far. I need a sea day!!)

Lovely dinner in Compass Rose. Then enjoyed the show in the Theater with the clarinet virtuoso. Looking forward to tomorrow - a sea day!

I am officially crossing land of the midnight sun off my bucket list!

We had a magical day in Bergen. It was unusually warm -yippee! We went to a small island restaurant that serves a meteorological menu, meaning that the ingredients are according to the weather and what the sea has to offer that day. Today it was amazing cod that was swimming this morning. Fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums