Alaska - Crown or Ruby - What are the Differences?

ctemkg

Hi. We are looking at booking Seattle to Alaska round trip. Both the Crown and Ruby have the cabins we would choose available.

I have read some comments that the Crown does not have a covered pool, so that may be chilly for an Alaska cruise. What are the other major differences between the two ships? Anything else we should know that makes on ship better for this destination than the other?

Thanks.

Ruby is a bit newer. I have been on both and couldn't tell the difference, but I thought the staff and food service had its act together better on the Ruby. That was a few years ago and things change. If everything is the same, go with the lowest price first. If prices are the same, go with the newer ship.

The only significant difference is that aft cabins R748, R749, R750 and R751 were converted to balcony cabins on the Ruby while they are oceanview cabins with two small portholes on the Crown. BTW, on the third sister, the Emerald, those cabins are typical oceanview cabins with the large square window.

The only significant difference is that aft cabins R748, R749, R750 and R751 were converted to balcony cabins on the Ruby while they are oceanview cabins with two small portholes on the Crown. BTW, on the third sister, the Emerald, those cabins are typical oceanview cabins with the large square window.

Always forget about those balconies :eek:, they should have done it that way on the Crown/Emerald too.

Always forget about those balconies :eek:, they should have done it that way on the Crown/Emerald too.

It was evolution of the design.

1st rendition was porthole windows

2nd was the rectangular windows

3rd was the balconies

So the Ruby and Crown are basically the same layout. How about the Golden? We might have the option of doing an Alaska cruise, just leaving from a different port on the Golden.

1. What are the major differences, if any, of this ship vs the Crown?

2. Does the Golden have a covered pool? Not that this is really important to us, but it would be nice.

Thanks.

So the Ruby and Crown are basically the same layout. How about the Golden? We might have the option of doing an Alaska cruise, just leaving from a different port on the Golden.

1. What are the major differences, if any, of this ship vs the Crown?

2. Does the Golden have a covered pool? Not that this is really important to us, but it would be nice.

Thanks.

Golden was the second grand class ship built. It had one less passenger cabin deck, so it carries fewer passengers. It has the "shopping cart handle" Skywalker's, and it does have a covered pool. Golden now has 6 Window Suites, which is a category of cabin the other two do not offer.

The location of Sabatini's is different, as are the location of other venues.

IMHO, choose based first on itinerary - make sure Glacier Bay is included and max out port times, then price/cabin availability. If all those things were equal my choices in order of preference would be Golden, Ruby and last Crown.

make sure Glacier Bay is included and max out port times, then price/cabin availability. If all those things were equal my choices in order of preference would be Golden, Ruby and last Crown.

Glacier Bay is included on both itineraries.

You are correct about checking port times. I see one is at Ketchikan from 6am - 12:30 pm. That is a short visit. Hardly any time to do some hiking which is great in Ketchikan.

Based on the deck plans, both the Golden and Crown appear to have a dedicated venue for the crown Grill. While we have been on the Splendor many times, we did not like the steak house as just an addition to the Horizon Food Court.

Glacier Bay is included on both itineraries.

You are correct about checking port times. I see one is at Ketchikan from 6am - 12:30 pm. That is a short visit. Hardly any time to do some hiking which is great in Ketchikan.

Based on the deck plans, both the Golden and Crown appear to have a dedicated venue for the crown Grill. While we have been on the Splendor many times, we did not like the steak house as just an addition to the Horizon Food Court.

Ruby also has a Crown Grill with it's own 'space'.

Based on the deck plans, both the Golden and Crown appear to have a dedicated venue for the crown Grill. While we have been on the Sapphire many times, we did not like the steak house as just an addition to the Horizon Food Court.

(I originally wrote Splendor...) This should have been we have been on the Sapphire and did not like the steak house as just an addition to the Horizon Food Court.

Edited by ctemkg

I'm close to agreeing with this opinion. But I would go on the Golden only.

Funny how things and times change.:eek: Think it was 2006 went on this brand new Princess ship Caribbean Princess. I remember saying this to some one, maybe my self. I sure hope they don't build any more like this one.:(

(I originally wrote Splendor...) This should have been we have been on the Sapphire and did not like the steak house as just an addition to the Horizon Food Court.

I wish the Sapphire was still doing Alaska. She has a broader beam than the Grand class, and the balconies are deeper. I also liked the 4 anytime dining rooms. Really didn't miss not having a Crown Grill on her, there were other interesting options, we didn't need the specialty restaurants to be happy.

I wish the Sapphire was still doing Alaska. She has a broader beam than the Grand class, and the balconies are deeper. I also liked the 4 anytime dining rooms. Really didn't miss not having a Crown Grill on her, there were other interesting options, we didn't need the specialty restaurants to be happy.

I'm very happy I had the opportunity to sail both Diamond and Sapphire to Alaska. I loved those ships and the 4 Anytime dining rooms were great! With neither in Alaska this season, I'm trying the Island. I know it is a little smaller, but looks like it will be great for this itinerary. I think I'll miss the Skywalkers though.