When to go on Mediterranean cruise?

sungirl10

Cruises before May are mostly on the European lines, such as Costa, MSC, P&O. Although some will be visiting other Med. Ports, many will be sailing from Spain to the Canary Islands, which are to Europe as the Caribbean is to the US. EM

Earliest I would go is late April, May is better; latest I would go in the fall is October. We have done many Mediterranean cruises, always in the spring and fall great time to go.

We did a Transatlantic Cruise that started with about a 12 day Med cruise then a few more days to the Azores and another 5 days or so to Florida. Weather was excellent in Med except for 2 days one involving thunder storms in the hill towns near Florence and the other Mistral winds forcing a cancellation of stop in France. We left October 7. The voyage started in Venice and we added extra days before boarding weather was warm and sunny for that part. Our Atlantic crossing was only calm seas. Weather predicting is just like forecasting at home, really a guess as to what really will happen.

Pull out a map.Europe is almost as far N as NYC. Late Spring or Fall especially nice in Europe. No Winter,

Don't rely on a map to judge climate. If you expect Lisbon to be covered in snow in winter, you might be surprised!

The Med is significantly warmer than New York in February, but it's not tourist season and some attractions may be closed. September sounds good.

Aside from the weather being much better, most lines re-position their ships to the Caribbean in the winter months. There will be a few going year round, but you will have many, many more options going May to Oct. Early fall would be my first choice. Summer lingers, crowds are thinner, airfare is "shoulder", not "peak" to get you across the pond.

Edited by marco

May / June and Sept. / October

weather is a little cooler, so port trips for sightseeing can be enjoyed better without oppressive heat.

I have holidayed in the Med numerous times in the past 30 years and have always visited in these months.