Deck chairs on Lanai deck, are they for everyone ?

Sailingpeace

My Inside cabin is on the same promenade deck as the Lanai cabins ( Veendam). Are the deck chairs on that deck for the passengers in these cabins or are they for everyone ?

I would love to have my morning tea there and spend quiet time during the day , in the shade.

Edited by Sailingpeace

Every Lanai cabin has 2 loungers by their door that are reserved for their exclusive use.

However, there are some outside cabins on the deck, and there are two loungers in front of those cabins, and those loungers are open to anyone.

The Veendam has a significant number of lanai cabins; the Maasdam has fewer. I haven't been on the Rotterdam since its conversion, so am not sure what the proportion is on that ship.

I love those inside cabins on Lower Promenade, and have spent full days sitting out there. It can be tough to get a lounger, but with a little flexibility in where you want to sit, you should be able to sit out there.

My Inside cabin is on the same promenade deck as the Lanai cabins ( Veendam). Are the deck chairs on that deck for the passengers in these cabins or are they for everyone ?

I would love to have my morning tea there and spend quiet time during the day , in the shade.

There are little plaques above the deck chairs (on the wall) that say they are reserved for the Lanai cabins. But not all the chairs have them. But the ones not specifically reserved are few (something like only about 10 on our Panama Canal cruise).

I had a picture, but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking.

Found it!

11i2683.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

Nice that they have reserve signs on those chairs outside of your cabins. I wonder if everybody pays attention.

They seemed to for the most part on our cruise. Now, I don't know if it's because there were quite a few returning HAL cruisers who know about the reserved chairs, or no on was really interested. Most times when we walked that deck, there weren't many chairs in use, and we were able to find ones (unreserved) for us to use.

Thank you for the information and for giving me hope to spend wonderful peaceful moments on NON reserved chairs. It is always nice to travel with an experienced friend, but the cruise critic community is really a precious next best thing to that. So nice that people take the time to an answer , and post very useful pictures that they taught about taking . Little things that make you feel more comfortable on your cruise. Thanks.

We were on the Veendam in March--Mexican Riviera cruise and weather was excellent for sitting outside. Some friends of ours were in a Lanai so I paid more attention than I usually would to who was outside as I walked my many laps and I think that there were always public deck chairs available and the lanai people weren't using theirs all the time either. The ship was supposedly sold out so it wasn't lack of numbers. I'm sure on some itineraries with more sea days there might be a rush for the chairs.

On my recent Maasdam cruise, the open deck chairs vastly outnumbered those reserved. There were always empty chairs, even on the mildest days, but those on the port side while docked seemed more crowded than on other days. However, if you are looking for peace and quiet, finding a chair on the opposite side was no problem.

On my recent Maasdam cruise, the open deck chairs vastly outnumbered those reserved. There were always empty chairs, even on the mildest days, but those on the port side while docked seemed more crowded than on other days. However, if you are looking for peace and quiet, finding a chair on the opposite side was no problem.

That's true for the Maasdam. However, the Veendam has many more lanai cabins than the Maasdam, all in places with open views to the sea. Consequently, there are many fewer public loungers in the open areas on the Veendam. It's much tougher to get a public lounger with a view to the sea on the Veendam.

There are plenty of loungers facing the bulkhead, though. :(

That's true for the Maasdam. However, the Veendam has many more lanai cabins than the Maasdam, all in places with open views to the sea. Consequently, there are many fewer public loungers in the open areas on the Veendam. It's much tougher to get a public lounger with a view to the sea on the Veendam.

Early bird gets the worm.... Alarm clock now in the luggage :)

Good to know for future reference, since I may be interested in Norway on the Veendam. Looks like there are approximately 9 more lanai's on the Veendam than on the Maasdam.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that I was alway able to find a chair that was nor reserved for Lanai guests. It was easy to see the sign for the ones that were reserved. Wonderful naps and many hours of looking at scenery . Found them very comfortable.

Congratulations. The Veendam can be a little tricky for that, since there are so many more lanai cabins, as compared to the Maasdam. I think the itinerary, being so port-intensive, had something to do with your good fortune. I found that I wasn't out there as much as usual when I last did this itinerary.

Sorry to say this, considering that the Volendam (my favorite current HAL ship) is slated to be retro-fitted with those Lanai cabins, but I will be very, very reluctant in the future to book any HAL ship that has such cabins. In my opinion, taking away any of the Lower Promenade Deck deck chairs from general use is a dilution of the HAL experience.

I really don't understand why people like the Lower Promenade Deck outside cabins. Compare them to the outside cabins on the next two lower decks. Those LP deck cabins offer less interior space that the others. I visited some frends on the Amsterdam in their LP outside cabin when I was in a Dolphin Deck outside. I could not believe the difference in the space that I had that they did not.

Sorry to say this, considering that the Volendam (my favorite current HAL ship) is slated to be retro-fitted with those Lanai cabins, but I will be very, very reluctant in the future to book any HAL ship that has such cabins. In my opinion, taking away any of the Lower Promenade Deck deck chairs from general use is a dilution of the HAL experience.

I really don't understand why people like the Lower Promenade Deck outside cabins. Compare them to the outside cabins on the next two lower decks. Those LP deck cabins offer less interior space that the others. I visited some frends on the Amsterdam in their LP outside cabin when I was in a Dolphin Deck outside. I could not believe the difference in the space that I had that they did not.

1. Panoramic view.

2. Ease of access to Promenade.

3. Comfy, reserved deck chair.

4. Difficulty making excuses not to exercise.

5. Social aspect for solo cruisers.

6. Convenience to forward and aft elevators.

Congratulations. The Veendam can be a little tricky for that, since there are so many more lanai cabins, as compared to the Maasdam. I think the itinerary, being so port-intensive, had something to do with your good fortune. I found that I wasn't out there as much as usual when I last did this itinerary.

I agree. We had wonderful weather and only one sea day. I taught the same thing, that on other itineraries I might not be so lucky. But, oh! Did I ever enjoy my moments on those chairs ! Miss them so much on some of the other ships I sail. Actually, enjoy them so much , they would be a deciding factor between kind of similar cruises.

Edited by Sailingpeace

One word - location, location, location. If we are not in a Neptune Suite (Vista ships) we are on the LP deck (R&S class ships) with a note on our reservation "do not upgrade."

Edited by Linda&Vern