Our medical story

Thanks for sharing your story. Thankfully you were by the pool. It highlights why we should never leave our young ones unattended by the pool.

It sounds like you had fabulous service by the RCI medical team. I am glad your DD is recovered well.

You misread the post. The parent was by the pool, was "attending" the child, and encouraged (did not discourage) the child in the behavior that resulted in the injury. A bystander had to inform the parent that the child was bleeding.

The medical team worked out well, though...

We just got back from our Freedom of the Seas trip. We left 6/22. That night the US was playing Portugal in the World Cup and we went to watch pool side. DS & DD(8) got in the pool, DW & older DD were on deck 12 in chairs, and I was sitting in the pool with the younger ones.

DD stood on the underwater ledge and tried to backflip into the pool. I told her she almost completed the backflip, so of course she tries again (yes, bad move on my part). This time, she flips, but doesn't push off enough. Her head hit the ledge. I'm less than two steps from her and pull her up. I'm holding her and calming her down and she finally stops crying.

A teenage boy comes over and tells me she's bleeding. Honestly, I hadn't seen it. We immediately get out of the pool and head to the pool bar. We get some napkins (I'm thinking it's just a cut). They call medical, and another passenger who's an ER nurse comes over to help.

We finally see the gash on the top of her her head (she's got a lot of hair). We gather our family together as the nurse arrives. She takes us down to the medical facility where we wait for the doctors (they brought both of them in).

DD needed a couple stitches under the skin and 6 stitches to her scalp. No pools for two days and no ocean for three.

We had checkups on Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. She was cleared to fully swim Thursday morning.

The medical staff was wonderful to us. I can't find the discharge papers with the staff names, but they were always calm and did their best to keep DD calm also.

Kudos to RCI!

Good to hear that. Thanks for sharing

You misread the post. The parent was by the pool, was "attending" the child, and encouraged (did not discourage) the child in the behavior that resulted in the injury. A bystander had to inform the parent that the child was bleeding.

Yup. Bad dad here. Can you let me know when you're cruising again so I can tag along and see how a perfect parent does things?:rolleyes:

Really? What is your point?

Sheesh people, give the guy a break. He's not perfect, neither am I, neither are any of the other posters on CC. I believe he realizes the outcome was a blessing and I sincerely doubt he'll encourage/not discourage/whatever again. What's the saying about a speck in my eye, a beam in yours? Obviously paraphrasing but the point is no parent I've ever met or spoken to has made all the right decisions 100% of the time. I appreciate him sharing the story so the next cruise we are on I'll know the staff is competent. That way I won't feel so bad when I let my son bungee jump into the pool, blindfolded, with hands behind his back....wait, my parental senses are telling me that isn't a good idea. How dumb am I?! He'll need his hands free to untie the blindfold :D

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

BTW, thank you to all who have offered kind words towards my DD. She gets the stitches out tomorrow.

Thank you also to the other "bad parents" for understanding no one makes the best decisions 100% of the time.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

Kids are kids and they love to do tricks and jumps into the pool and mostly we are not talking crazy dangerous stunts!! Am surprises as the sever cut though from hitting the edge...I would think a decent bump and bruise...but is the ledge sharp in some way?? Glad both stunt persons are doing well and sure will love telling the story to their friends!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a big difference between a "perfect" parent and simply recognizing that it is wildly irresponsible to encourage your child to perform a maneuver that could have permanently disabled or killed her. You are really quite lucky. I hope you know that (even with all the snark you have given off)

I'm glad the kid is okay, but I agree I see parents allowing their kids to do unsafe things all the time :(.

Im sure both the OP (and myself included as we had this same situation) know how incredibly lucky both children are that nothing "worse" happened than 6 stitches. Again, no parent is perfect, and if you are maybe him and I will take notes for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kids are kids and they love to do tricks and jumps into the pool and mostly we are not talking crazy dangerous stunts!! Am surprises as the sever cut though from hitting the edge...I would think a decent bump and bruise...but is the ledge sharp in some way?? Glad both stunt persons are doing well and sure will love telling the story to their friends!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think the ledge is actually sharp, but it is a corner and coming down on it with force causes the open wound. (Im guessing anyway :D). Just like any corner it's sharper than just a flat surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, I didn't misread the post. I said upfront 'Thankfully you were there' to the OP. As a parent myself I am not perfect and am not going to judge the OP.

There is a big difference between a "perfect" parent and simply recognizing that it is wildly irresponsible to encourage your child to perform a maneuver that could have permanently disabled or killed her. You are really quite lucky. I hope you know that (even with all the snark you have given off)

If I prevented my kids from doing things that could cause permanent damage, they wouldn't...

Ride Bikes

Ride Skateboards

Wear Roller Skates

Play on "Jungle Gyms"

Participate in Sports

Do the Rock Wall

Ride the Flow Rider

I'm sure there's other things they do on a weekly or daily basis that puts their health at risk.

Are we extremely lucky all that was required was stitches? Yes.

If I had to do it over again would I stop her? Yes.

Am I going to kick myself over and over again for not stopping her? No.

I am always amused at the parents that squeal "I'm not perfect don't judge!" Do you also say the same when a child is left in a blazing hot car? After all...not parent is perfect.:rolleyes:

Huge difference between the items on your list and jumping BACKWARDS into a SHALLOW pool off a HARD ledge.

Edited by cruisnseas

I am always amused at the parents that squeal "I'm not perfect don't judge!" Do you also say the same when a child is left in a blazing hot car? After all...not parent is perfect.:rolleyes:

Huge difference between the items on your list and jumping BACKWARDS into a SHALLOW pool off a HARD ledge.

Exactly

Honestly, if a child is left in a car, yes, I want to know the circumstances before I judge.

Second, there's really not that much of a difference between what I listed and what DD was doing. Any of the events I've listed could lead to falls and/or head injuries.

If you're going to keep kids from doing ANYTHING that might harm them, make sure you keep them from doing ANYTHING that might harm them.

And I'm always amused by people that think any kid that has an accident or gets hurt has irresponsible, neglectful parents. OP already said if he had it do over again he would not let her do the flip, so all the super-parents whose kids never have accidents or get a boo boo can safely dismount their high horses now.

And I'm always amused by people that think any kid that has an accident or gets hurt has irresponsible, neglectful parents. OP already said if he had it do over again he would not let her do the flip, so all the super-parents whose kids never have accidents or get a boo boo can safely dismount their high horses now.

Well, this is the internet and I can be judgmental if I want. And I don't own a horse. The fact that the parent allowed it despite signs and common sense says a whole lot about their judgement, but their hindsight is 20/20 ;) How is it different is she allowed the kid to do it off of a dresser if they put a pillow on the floor? In hindsight and after seeing America's funniest home videos, I wouldn't allow it again. That family is just lucky they didn't hurt someone else.

Well, this is the internet and I can be judgmental if I want. And I don't own a horse. The fact that the parent allowed it despite signs and common sense says a whole lot about their judgement, but their hindsight is 20/20 ;) How is it different is she allowed the kid to do it off of a dresser if they put a pillow on the floor? In hindsight and after seeing America's funniest home videos, I wouldn't allow it again. That family is just lucky they didn't hurt someone else.

Assume much?

If you don't think you are, I can't help you. :D

OP, a lesson learned and hopefully one that pays off for people who read this. Thanks for sharing and especially for just bluntly admitting where you slacked and what resulted. Kudos to you for that. Your kid snuck away with a poor choice, like so many of us have over the years.

I'm neither a rocket scientist nor a parent, but it doesn't require being either to figure out that doing backflips into a shallow pool is a lot more risky than most of the other things mentioned in this thread. Especially if the ship was in motion, which I didn't see if it was or not.

I'm pretty big into toughening kids up and letting them be kids, but kids are also pretty stupid and adults are supposed to be smarter. I think too many kids are just pansies today. That doesn't mean dumb moves aren't dumb moves.

Playing on a playground, riding a bike, riding a skateboard, playing ball, swimming, etc. all can be dangerous activities, but I believe the real statement is how it is done.

Is the child playing on the playground and hanging from the monkey bars OR is the child climbing on top of the monkey bars and jumping from bar to bar 6' (+ their height) above the ground? That's a huge difference. Is their parent cheering them on or yelling at them to get down immediately?

Is the child riding their bike in a residential neighborhood and wearing proper safety equipment OR is the child riding in 6-lane traffic in flip-flops without any gear? Is their parent cheering them on or yelling at them to get out of there immediately?

Can you (as an adult) die in a car accident driving 35mph, obeying all the traffic laws, wearing your seatbelt, and paying full attention to the road? YES. Is it more dangerous to being doing 65mph in a 35mph zone, running stop signs, no seatbelt, and playing with Facebook on your phone? DUH.

In many things there are chances for injury, however, saying that what was done was equally as dangerous as anything children do in their daily lives is crazy. Especially if you are claiming someone is picking on a parent for what was admittedly (even by the OP) a dumb move that exceeds normal levels of danger. Does the OP need to be beat up? Maybe a little shame is a good thing here instead of cheerleading, but I think the OP was quite clear that the lesson has been learned. This could've been much worse, including fatal, but it wasn't and the OP took the time to share a lesson they learned WITHOUT PRETENDING THEY WERE WRONGED SOMEHOW IN THE PROCESS.

You can't win as a parent. If you're hands off you're neglectful and if you're careful and conservative, you get told not to be so overprotective.

Interesting story and I'm sure OPs wife gave him an earful so he's suffered enough.