Princess Alaska Cruisetour

Bentley5700

We've been looking at a Princess Cruise combined with a tour of Denali. It looks like the accommodations on the land part are pretty basic and rustic. I want something nicer, wifi and a good restaurant and bar. Also someone on site to help with making tours available. Are there any resorts near or in Denali that come close to that? Thanks.

Edited by Bentley5700

We've been looking at a Princess Cruise combined with a tour of Denali. It looks like the accommodations on the land part are pretty basic and rustic. I want something nicer, wifi and a good restaurant and bar. Also someone on site to help with making tours available. Are there any resorts near or in Denali that come close to that? Thanks.

Probably not. Most resorts are seasonally operations , therefore not of fancy amenities. Also travel time are fairly long between points in Alaska .

You won't get much time in the resorts other than to sleep.

Um yes, all the Princess ones.

Most have wifi in at least the main lodge if not more. All have a tour desk, and most are in pretty decent shape. You are not going to find a four seasons in most of Alaska, of course.

Some of the smaller lodges may be a bit rustic. Most are on par with a Holiday Inn or Marriott basic, depending on how you look at it, in fact the hotel in Fairbanks was previously a Holiday Inn we were told.

This was our room in Denali- I don't have a picture of the Jacuzzi tub or bed areas online ... And we had an older room slated to be renovated over the fall... It was a little worn, but very clean and well maintained, and comfortable.

DSC_3157_edited-1-X3.jpg

The lodges are in the middle of the wilderness, in the national park. You're seriously expecting them to have wifi and fancy dining options?

They do have tour desks, though.

I agree Alaska is not noted for it 5 star htotels or gourmet restaurants even in the major cities. It is the last large wilderness frontier in the US. Noted for its wildlife and scenic views along with it's rustic lifestyle which is why most people go to see it.

We stayed at the McKinley and Denali Lodges (both Princess). McKinley is in the middle of nowhere, but our room was fine -- not luxurious, but clean and large. The main lodge was nice with lots of indoor and outdoor seating, high ceilings and view of McKinley. Denali lodge has many shops and eating places across the road -- nothing looked too upscale. We stayed in the A/B building and it seemed newer or more updated than the other rooms that I saw. There were a couple of nice restaurants there with a view of the mountains and river. For Alaska, it was quite nice. The Bear Lodge in Fairbanks was pretty much a 2 thumbs down -- bad location, lousy food, etc. Perhaps you can make requests for the other hotel in Fairbanks (if you are going there) and request the A/B building if you go to Denali Lodge.