Walk off with luggage?

alyssa0922

We just used the walk off on June 28 on the Caribbean Princess at Fort Lauderdale and it was so easy. We received the form in our stateroom mid-week. We chose 7:25 AM and took the form to the purser's desk. We received notification that we would be in Group Two walking off the ship. We were told to meet at 7:20 AM in the Island Dining Room. I was surprised just how many people were there with us. Around 7:20 or shortly after, we were told to proceed to Customs. We walked in line with our families to the Custom Desk and presented our passports to the agent. We were told to have a good trip home and went from there to a cab at the curb and were at the airport 3 hours before our flight. I was amazed at how easy it was. There were three of us and we each had two suitcases and had no problems whatsoever. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We always use walk off and have never had a problem. You just need to be prepared to "walk" your luggage down a flight or two of stairs sometimes. But it sure beats having to walk around the warehouse looking for your bags.

Edited by 7leagueboots

We always use walk off and have never had a problem. You just need to be prepared to "walk" your luggage down a flight or two of stairs sometimes. But it sure beats having to walk around the warehouse looking for your bags.

I don't know about that. We always use regular disembarkation based on flight times. We always put out all the bags but one on the last night.

We gat called by our group and walk into the warehouse were the bags are sorted by color. It has never takes more than 5 minutes to find out bags and get into the line for customs/immigration.

As far as I'm concerned, it sure bests lugging everything off the ship by ourselves.

Now, we always like to book cruises of 10 days or more because of the travel time from Alaska. If we lived in Fla. and booked a 3 day cruse with a couple of roll off carry on bags, that would be a different matter.

I just got off the CB on Saturday and did the walk off with luggage. As others have said you need to be able to handle your own luggage. Elevators were required for those with large bags and more than one each. Most of us were able to use the escalators. I handed my form in as soon as I received it and requested the earliest time which was estimated to be 7:15am. We were instructed to meet in the Coral dining room by 7:10. Walk off began pretty much right on time at 7:15. I would guess there were about 15 or so people ahead of me in line. We were through customs and in the car which was parked in the garage by 7:40. Very smooth. Would not hesitate to do it again.

I know it wasn't you, but it fries my hide when a thoughtless person uses self disembark with more than they can handle and then is shown to the elevator. In San Pedro there is only one elevator, and it isn't very large. It holds about three wheelchairs/scooters with pushers and their carryons. Many times the line is much longer than it needs be, because of the people who can walk but can't manage everything they have with them. They are downright selfish, if you ask me.

M.

I just got off the CB on Saturday and did the walk off with luggage. As others have said you need to be able to handle your own luggage. Elevators were required for those with large bags and more than one each. Most of us were able to use the escalators.

Can you get a speciality coffee on disembark day?

Of course. On ships with ICs, they'll be open. Or you can do what we do and have a leisurely breakfast in the MDR…which is much easier if you're not self-diembarking, though they will allow luggage in there.

I just got off the CB on Saturday and did the walk off with luggage. As others have said you need to be able to handle your own luggage. Elevators were required for those with large bags and more than one each. Most of us were able to use the escalators. I handed my form in as soon as I received it and requested the earliest time which was estimated to be 7:15am. We were instructed to meet in the Coral dining room by 7:10. Walk off began pretty much right on time at 7:15. I would guess there were about 15 or so people ahead of me in line. We were through customs and in the car which was parked in the garage by 7:40. Very smooth. Would not hesitate to do it again.

We chose the 7:45 time slot & had no backups even using the elevator which we really didn't need. The line for immigration was the typical 15 minute wait. The Park-N-Go van was waiting for us in front of the terminal, as usual.

I know it wasn't you, but it fries my hide when a thoughtless person uses self disembark with more than they can handle and then is shown to the elevator. In San Pedro there is only one elevator, and it isn't very large. It holds about three wheelchairs/scooters with pushers and their carryons. Many times the line is much longer than it needs be, because of the people who can walk but can't manage everything they have with them. They are downright selfish, if you ask me.

M.

The people who do that should be sent to a holding area and kept there until everyone else on the ship has disembarked. If they miss their plane - tough. It will teach them for next time.

They are clearly told when they decide to self disembark that they must be capable of carrying everything and also be capable of using the escalator. They decide that these rules do not apply to them and they should suffer the consequences.

DON

They are clearly told when they decide to self disembark that they must be capable of carrying everything and also be capable of using the escalator. They decide that these rules do not apply to them and they should suffer the consequences.

DON

This pronouncement is not correct for Ft. Lauderdale.

The only requiremenent from princess is that you be able to carry everything, as no one from the ship will assist you.

If you have a free hand, you can use the escalator. If you

do not, you are directed to the elevator.

There is also no requirement that you be able to keep up with

people, as you said. I have never seen anyone get a ticket

for moving too slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on the Golden, disembarking in San Pedro. For the first time ever, the disembarkation Patter (the one issued with your luggage tags) stated that "The Port will only allow one piece of luggage per person for those self disembarking." It further said that anybody who attempted to self disembark with more than one suitcase would be turned back to the ship to disembark with the checked luggage people. This is my "home port" and I've never seen this before.

I use the elevator, as I mentioned earlier. The same shoreside employee has been loading the elevator my last half dozen or more times. She has a great eye for how to get the most scooters, walkers, companions, and luggage on at once. I can pull my luggage with my left hand while on my scooter, and she loaded me head first, next to last, loading my suitcase to my left as the last item so that I would be able to back out first, with my luggage. Boy do I love that lady!

M.

This pronouncement is not correct for Ft. Lauderdale.

If you have a free hand, you can use the escalator. If you

do not, you are directed to the elevator.

This must be true cause we always laugh cause in Fort lauderdale port when you head to the escalator there is always someone calling out, "hold onto the rail, hold on to the rail" - now whenever/wherever we take an escalator hubby calls out "hold onto the rail",

Thanks for making me smile

I was just on the Golden, disembarking in San Pedro. For the first time ever, the disembarkation Patter (the one issued with your luggage tags) stated that "The Port will only allow one piece of luggage per person for those self disembarking." It further said that anybody who attempted to self disembark with more than one suitcase would be turned back to the ship to disembark with the checked luggage people. This is my "home port" and I've never seen this before.

M.

We got off the Crown on Oct 4 and we too did self disembarkation and it was also stated one bag per person plus carry on only. We only had one bag and had no issue.

however there were numerous people with many more who had more.

Vickie

If you are heading to the airport, go for EZCheck if it is offered.

Walking off with luggage will get you off the ship quickly, but you are stuck lugging the bags. That's only great if a taxi is waiting for you at the pier.

:D

Is EZCheck usually offered on Princess ships disembarking in Fort Lauderdale?

We chose the "walk off" option 2 weeks ago on the Regal in Barcelona. We were instructed to be out of the room by 8am and we could leave the ship anytime between 6am-9am. Since it was pouring rain, we moved down to the piazza around 8am and left the ship around 845am. We took the stairs with our bags, wasn't that bad since we're young, etc... As far as leaving, not many others with us... most were still waiting on the ship. Glad we had our bags though when I saw all the bags out in the open rain.

I use the elevator, as I mentioned earlier. The same shoreside employee has been loading the elevator my last half dozen or more times. She has a great eye for how to get the most scooters, walkers, companions, and luggage on at once. I can pull my luggage with my left hand while on my scooter, and she loaded me head first, next to last, loading my suitcase to my left as the last item so that I would be able to back out first, with my luggage. Boy do I love that lady!

M.

Although as a light packer I applaud the idea, it doesn't make any sense. If somebody has 2 bags, how are they going to get them off the ship since it's too late to send them the traditional way?

Last year Golden had 23 walk off groups, and far fewer luggage tag groups, plus they mixed them up - 5 walk offs, then a tag group, 5 more walk offs, etc. So I just don't see how they will manage to enforce that new rule (which I don't believe for a second is mandated by the port).

For sure American Airlines and Southwest have it.

There are others but these are the ones we use .

You have to have a later flight to use. Princess will tell you what time that will be. If you are early by even 5 minutes , you won't be able to use it.

Works for flights from Miami as well.

Although as a light packer I applaud the idea, it doesn't make any sense. If somebody has 2 bags, how are they going to get them off the ship since it's too late to send them the traditional way?

I assume Princess has an alternative process set up for that situation. I don't think they will force people to leave a bag behind.