Royal Princess TV documentary

Happyboating

Hi Lew!!! Hope you are both well, see you're booked for next year, hope you're going to Coconut Beach Resort again, loved that day. Great meeting you both there.

Enjoy

Maureen & Dave x

Hi All

stopped by Princess face book, lot of very disappointed Princess fans,

Princess not replying to any negative posts.

yours Shogun

Actually, Princess did have a stock reply. " we are sorry to hear of your disappointment with the programme that aired today. We appreciate your candid feedback."

Hi Lew!!! Hope you are both well, see you're booked for next year, hope you're going to Coconut Beach Resort again, loved that day. Great meeting you both there.

Hi Maureen & Dave...

We had a fantastic time at Coconut Beach Resort with you...and yes, we've booked it again in 2015. Nan and I were hoping to see you onboard the Royal in 2015. There's still time to book, you know...

Lew

I am sure I am one of the many Princess cruisers who was very disappointed with this so called documentary.

We have sailed with Princess several times (just about to go onto Elite) and I think this showed Princess in a very poor light. My husband and I are also "not snotty" at all.

I've always felt that Princess were one notch above P & O on several things but this programme made the cruise line look like a holiday camp at sea.

I can't say that I am looking forward to the remaining programmes but will probably watch them in the hope that things improve.

Hi Maureen & Dave...

We had a fantastic time at Coconut Beach Resort with you...and yes, we've booked it again in 2015. Nan and I were hoping to see you onboard the Royal in 2015. There's still time to book, you know...

Lew

Would love to Lew unfortunately doesn't fit in with Dave's work programme :( you enjoy it for all of us :D:D

Hope you get a chance to see this programme, it's certainly got everyone talking

I am sure I am one of the many Princess cruisers who was very disappointed with this so called documentary.

We have sailed with Princess several times (just about to go onto Elite) and I think this showed Princess in a very poor light. My husband and I are also "not snotty" at all.

We were on the Royal TA in October when some of the filming was done. I can tell you there were numerous reports that some Elite Captain Circle members felt very entitled and thus exhibited very rude behavior. I didn't experience it at all, but there were too many reports to ignore.

The laundry issue was very real. Items in the laundry were lost while it took 5 days to get our laundry back. We're booked on the Regal TA and hope the laundry issues are resolved.

I agree the show is not a documentary in the true sense.

Lew

I sincerely hope that everyone realizes how powerful the "edit" can be. In the hands of a skillful editor, this show can easily go from damning to high praise in an instant.

Having been onboard during the Maiden Passage, and having been interviewed along with many others, I assume I'll hit the cutting room floor, since I was neither damning nor praising the Royal Princess.

I did think that it was a wonderful cruise, but there were some teething problems. Princess should certainly have been aware of the number of Elites, and the concomitant laundry demands.

So, since my comments were basically "this is a wonderful ship, but the perfect ship has yet to be built, and most likely never will be", I don't expect to see my mug on the TV.

Stan

I just hope the lady mentioned throughout this thread does not read Cruise Critic. Imagine how we would all feel if we were reading these comments about ourselves and the sudden realisation that many of our friends, family and neighbours would have seen the very programme that these comments relate to.

People very often behave very differently in front of a camera than they do in real life and these 'reality' programmes play on that reaction and actively seek out those who are most affected in this way. At some point in our life we will all act or behave in a way we would like to forget and most of us can move on with regrets but safe in the knowledge that it will soon be forgotten.

Sadly ITV have chosen to make a public spectacle of this lady, but what is worse, the people who put this programme together are so called 'professionals' and knew EXACTLY what they were doing to the lady's social standing and emotional security but just didn't care. In all probability, the footage shown was probably just a very small fraction of the total video they took of her, but carefully edited to achieve their objective. Indeed, we do not know what the programme producers said to her, to press her start button, immediately before the cameras rolled.

One thing is for certain, ITV should be ashamed of themselves, for exposing this lady in this way, and we should all be grateful that it was not us that they chose to be their victim.

All very sad and hopefully the programme and the lady's notoriety will soon be forgotten allowing her to return to the relative anonymity we all normally enjoy.

If they(or any in the 4 episodes) do frequent here they probably have signed a gagging clause to stop them saying anything.

I just hope the lady mentioned throughout this thread does not read Cruise Critic. Imagine how we would all feel if we were reading these comments about ourselves and the sudden realisation that many of our friends, family and neighbours would have seen the very programme that these comments relate to.

People very often behave very differently in front of a camera than they do in real life and these 'reality' programmes play on that reaction and actively seek out those who are most affected in this way. At some point in our life we will all act or behave in a way we would like to forget and most of us can move on with regrets but safe in the knowledge that it will soon be forgotten.

Sadly ITV have chosen to make a public spectacle of this lady, but what is worse, the people who put this programme together are so called 'professionals' and knew EXACTLY what they were doing to the lady's social standing and emotional security but just didn't care. In all probability, the footage shown was probably just a very small fraction of the total video they took of her, but carefully edited to achieve their objective. Indeed, we do not know what the programme producers said to her, to press her start button, immediately before the cameras rolled.

One thing is for certain, ITV should be ashamed of themselves, for exposing this lady in this way, and we should all be grateful that it was not us that they chose to be their victim.

All very sad and hopefully the programme and the lady's notoriety will soon be forgotten allowing her to return to the relative anonymity we all normally enjoy.

Well said. It seems the norm for these TV production companies to make these type of shows with the great British public being the "stars". This formula is a very cheap way of filling an hour or two of prime time telly. As for the show itself, it could have been filmed on any ship, there's been nothing detrimental to Princess as far as I can see, it's just been edited to make it appeal to the masses, the vast majority will never go on or even consider going on a cruise. As for that lady, I'm sure she'll be full of regret for "playing up" to the cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Such a disappointing and almost awful programme. But I am going to carry on watching, I don't know why:eek:. It doesn't show Princess in it's true light at all. Why couldn't they have done a proper documentary? They are so much more interesting.

Such a disappointing and almost awful programme. But I am going to carry on watching, I don't know why:eek:. It doesn't show Princess in it's true light at all. Why couldn't they have done a proper documentary? They are so much more interesting.

Now, I enjoyed it very much. It is good to be shown behind the scenes and what the crew have to put up with. Not very impressed with the old dear and her toy boy though. Dan is a fantastic deputy cruise director and would make an outstanding cruise director imho. We sailed with him and Kelvin Joy on the Diamond Princess a couple of years ago, what a fantastic double act!! Being such a new ship, it was obviously going to attract seasoned cruises but i was amazed at the amount of laundry that was being done for Elite members. I have just returned from the Emerald Princess and had all my laundry done just before we disembarked......magic:)

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

Well said. It seems the norm for these TV production companies to make these type of shows with the great British public being the "stars". This formula is a very cheap way of filling an hour or two of prime time telly. As for the show itself, it could have been filmed on any ship, there's been nothing detrimental to Princess as far as I can see, it's just been edited to make it appeal to the masses, the vast majority will never go on or even consider going on a cruise. As for that lady, I'm sure she'll be full of regret for "playing up" to the cameras.

I agree with everything you say. I wondered why (as a Canadian) they didn't feature an American passenger since Princess is essentially an American company. They missed an opportunity to make fun of the "Ugly American." Maybe future episodes will do this. You are also correct in saying it could have been any ship. I got no sense at all of this being an individual ship with its own features. Where I might disagree with you is thinking that woman will be full of regret. I'm not so sure she isn't the type who likes acting out in order to get attention. I'm also not sure she is a real passenger and not a paid actress.

Princess are sending out e-mails telling people in the UK to watch. Do you really think anything untoward is going to be broadcast?

As regular cruisers I think we can just sit-back, watch, and enjoy ... without necessarily believing it all.

A real below decks programme would have to use hidden cameras, but that would put at risk the jobs of many very good people who staff cruise ships.

I agree with everything you say. I wondered why (as a Canadian) they didn't feature an American passenger since Princess is essentially an American company. They missed an opportunity to make fun of the "Ugly American." Maybe future episodes will do this. You are also correct in saying it could have been any ship. I got no sense at all of this being an individual ship with its own features. Where I might disagree with you is thinking that woman will be full of regret. I'm not so sure she isn't the type who likes acting out in order to get attention. I'm also not sure she is a real passenger and not a paid actress.

Oh my, she is not a paid actress. She is very real. And in person, she is exactly as she was portrayed in the UK film. I have laughed many times during this thread, decided I would speak up. We have had the misfortune of sailing with her and vet husband twice. Why us?? We were on the Royal's TA also. Loved the trip, and sure we had to wait for laundry....no problem. She came up behind several of us one evening, and went into her tirade about old people, that was all of us, and she told us so! And we were all rude. And went on, and on. We all tried to be polite, didn't work....she continued. Finally everyone turned their backs on her, and tried to ignore her, did not want to make a scene. Finally boytoy husband pulled her out of the area. An awful woman!

Think if we see her on another ship, may just jump overboard.

Oh my, she is not a paid actress. She is very real. And in person, she is exactly as she was portrayed in the UK film.

Oh dear! Then she probably is enjoying all this attention. I don't know why she is so fixated on "old" people since she herself is not a teenager. LOL. Perhaps there is an issue of mental health here... I find myself wondering what the husband sees in her. Maybe there's some money somewhere. LOL.

Oh dear! Then she probably is enjoying all this attention. I don't know why she is so fixated on "old" people since she herself is not a teenager. LOL. Perhaps there is an issue of mental health here... I find myself wondering what the husband sees in her. Maybe there's some money somewhere. LOL.

To be that ugly to other people, will agree, some of us wondered about her mental health. and if there was money involved. We just hope we never see her again! Twice is two times to many.

Hi All

Watched this again, but had to turn sound off at some points and fast forward other bits,

this was billed as a serious documentry look at life below decks its is not

it is cut together from to sailings the cribbean and TA but does not explain this

the voice over is not seirous but is a light hearted attempt to make things funny this is not a comdey show

loads of quick shots only a second or two long of old folks, looks like like you had to be retired to get on board where are the kids the young folks from Caribbean sailing.

As to Mandy

Now you folks know I have been on TV, in Newspapers etc and most likely will be back on TV in Autumn, as such folks have the right to watch, laugh or cry, so Mandy will just have to get used to her new fame,

Programme starts off giving some good info about the ship, but this should have carried on throught out the programme dropping in facts and info.

The whole tone of the show has missed what Princess is, Princess offers a main stream cruising but at a quality and service level way above a holiday camp, and many other cruise lines, the programme fails to deliver,

So did I get an idea of what the Royal Princess is like, No

Did I get an idea what life onboard for the crew was like No

Did I get a feel for the Princess product No

Did I reconize My favourite cruise line No,

Will I watch part two yes

Why no word from the Captain, you expect he would get a chance to something about his ship.

yours Shogun

Oh goodness, I hope you don't have to come across her again. Seems the 'oldies' are much better mannered than she is but she can't see that. Yes, I agree that she will probably be enjoying the limelight and continuing her ageist comments to all her friends. If she has any that is. If not the toyboy will have to do.

Oh my, she is not a paid actress. She is very real. And in person, she is exactly as she was portrayed in the UK film. I have laughed many times during this thread, decided I would speak up. We have had the misfortune of sailing with her and vet husband twice. Why us?? We were on the Royal's TA also. Loved the trip, and sure we had to wait for laundry....no problem. She came up behind several of us one evening, and went into her tirade about old people, that was all of us, and she told us so! And we were all rude. And went on, and on. We all tried to be polite, didn't work....she continued. Finally everyone turned their backs on her, and tried to ignore her, did not want to make a scene. Finally boytoy husband pulled her out of the area. An awful woman!

WOW...we got lucky on the TA & didn't see her nor the other grumpy passengers others post about. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

WOW...we got lucky on the TA & didn't see her nor the other grumpy passengers others post about. :p

Frank, you will actually hear her probably before you see her. She has a very loud voice, distinctive voice. Not in a good way distinctive. yes you were lucky.

I agree with Shogun. This program fails to deliver anything of substance. I do not see it as negative to Princess as others have stated, it was just boring. Focus was on a new crew member coming on board as a hairdresser and missing home, way too much of the previously discussed lady " train wreck"', overloaded laundry, and pressures to provide thousands of canapés for formal night. Yawn. I may have missed something, but probably not much.

Just watched the show as well. I was more interested in the behind the scenes stuff than the sheepish vet husband and his mouthy obnoxious wife. It was ok, kinda overly edited but I will watch the rest of the series.

BTW, the "SurfEasy" stick works perfectly for world internet surfing. I just chose United Kingdom as my location and the video played right away.