Royal Princess TV documentary

Happyboating

Watched this last night on the ITV player,

We could not believe how bad this program was and could not understand how princess would allow this.

We have not cruised with princess, only NCL, RCI, Celebrity and P+O , but did not recognise this as the modern day crusing we are used to.

The production made the ship look over bright and glaring with an outdated feel to it, (maybe that's what its like)

I think watching this program would put most people off cruising for the first time. I'm sure it would for us if we had seen this before we started 10 years ago.

Now, I enjoyed it very much. It is good to be shown behind the scenes and what the crew have to put up with. Not very impressed with the old dear and her toy boy though. Dan is a fantastic deputy cruise director and would make an outstanding cruise director imho. We sailed with him and Kelvin Joy on the Diamond Princess a couple of years ago, what a fantastic double act!! Being such a new ship, it was obviously going to attract seasoned cruises but i was amazed at the amount of laundry that was being done for Elite members. I have just returned from the Emerald Princess and had all my laundry done just before we disembarked......magic:)

I agree. I enjoyed the programme. I have never sailed Princess but the programme wouldn't put me off trying.

Annie

Hi All

understand part 3 covers tendering into Princess Cays

So do you think it will be a marvel of forward planning and logistics to get everyone of the ship quickly and safely

Or will it one passenger complaining that they had to wait a few minutes

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi All

understand part 3 covers tendering into Princess Cays

So do you think it will be a marvel of forward planning and logistics to get everyone of the ship quickly and safely

Or will it one passenger complaining that they had to wait a few minutes

Yours Shogun

Actually, Shogun, on that first tender in Princess Cays, people waited hours. They really did. That's the only time I've come close to being accosted for being Elite.

Something tells me that that story is not going to come off well, either.

Hi There

Oh dear, l can see the show spin on it

Poor Princess next time a TV company comes a knocking l think they should demand some editorial input

Yours Shogun

This video is really giving the Royal Princess some BAD PR on the other forums. It is a shame, as we really like the Royal even with the small things a lot of people wrote or complained about when it first came out.

Not every ship is for everyone regardless of cruise line/ship.

Hi There

Oh dear, l can see the show spin on it

Poor Princess next time a TV company comes a knocking l think they should demand some editorial input

Yours Shogun

Seems to me that Princess and ITV are happy with it. "Paul Ludlow, Princess Cruises' managing director UK and Europe, said: "We are thrilled that ITV chose Royal Princess as the focus for this upcoming series. Viewers will get unparalleled insight into this magnificent ship and her crew."

"The cameras were on 24/7, filming all aspects of life on board, getting to know the crew and guests alike. At first it was strange having a camera following the crew members but soon it became normal and Pulse became part of the Princess family .

The raw footage was then taken back to Pulse HQ and the edit began. Over a four month period a team of editors turned the footage into four 30-minute episodes.

Once ITV had signed off each episode, Pulse employed the services of comedian, actor and huge cruise fan John Thomson to record the voice over, which he did in one six hour session for all four episodes."

Hi bilco

Paul has also commented on the extreme views posted on some social sites about the show

Wonder what site he is referring too

Yours Shogun

Just a thought, and unless I watched an entirely different show, it wasn't that bad or any different than half the campy immature shows on tv anyway. The overly critical and nearly unanimous negative take on this piece, makes me wonder if it was really meant for another age group.

Princess has an old fogie reputation and at some point, they have to use tv and other media to help drive new cruisers to the brand. We may not approve, but we will stop traveling someday.

You know what, I watched the show tonight and it has put me off ever cruising with Princess, which I thought were a comparatively upmarket line. Hell, they make Thomsons look good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Horses for courses as they say.

I thought tonight's "The Cruise Ship" was good. It showed more of the ship and how the cruise director/deputy get on and the crew manager behind the scenes. Was good to see the TV show in the making too. Kinda wanted me to book the Royal as I am a bit bored of the Grand class ships.

You know what, I watched the show tonight and it has put me off ever cruising with Princess, which I thought were a comparatively upmarket line. Hell, they make Thomsons look good!

If I recall correctly didn't a UK network (ITV?) do a similar "reality TV" program depicting Fred Olsen cruises poorly?

If so then why would anyone in their right mind at Princess allow filming another one on the Royal Princess?? I believe that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it & obviously Princess didn't learn from history & are repeating that negative press. :eek:

It's just another "what were they thinking" example from Princess Cruises. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi All

Show does nothing to show off the Royal or the Princess product

Still looks like a cheap holiday camp for the retired.

That said it was a Mandy free zone and was better than last weeks well anything would be better.

As to crew first met Liz a few years ago when l visited a ship as a guest of Princess she had job of looking after us have sailed a few times with her since very hard working and real asset for Princess her other half was on Royal.

Again know Sam well very good cruise director always has time for passengers.

Dan did not come over that well far better in real life

Overall show not a good advert for cruising or Princess but it is what it is

Yours Shogun

Yes I am looking forward to that as we haven't been yet(going in October). But from the preview it looks like some are playing to the cameras which might spoil things. I so wish it was a proper documentary.

As former Celebrity cruisers we thought that Princess was about the same or better. This documentary does them no favours at all and we certainly would not book a cruise with Princess after watching this programme so far. The voice over and whole approach is just so tacky. :confused:

I realise Princess may have no control over the voice over etc but what finally did it for me was the Mr Sexy Legs competition - ergghhh!

Having said that Dan was on the one short cruise I did on this ship and I found him very entertaining - in small doses.

As former Celebrity cruisers we thought that Princess was about the same or better. This documentary does them no favours at all and we certainly would not book a cruise with Princess after watching this programme so far. The voice over and whole approach is just so tacky. :confused:

Someday I want to sail on Celebrity because friends who have sailed on Princess & Celebrity say they're very similar with each one having their strengths & their weaknesses. I haven't viewed the program yet however if they were to produce one making Celebrity look as bad it would never keep me from sailing Celebrity.

Just like the negative reviews on CC that say a cruise was terrible, I take it with a grain of salt.

Having said that Dan was on the one short cruise I did on this ship and I found him very entertaining - in small doses.

Dan's quirky dry sense of humor sometimes seemed to be over-the-top. However the time I rode the elevator with him he was much different than his public persona...maybe his professional shtick is his act & is different than his true personality.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If I hadn't sailed on the Royal myself, and experienced this wonderful ship, I'm not sure what I would be thinking about a Princess cruise or the Royal. However, I can tell you from personal experience the ship is beautiful, Princess cruises are always enjoyable and the people we've met have been wonderful.

I remember all the negative remarks about the Royal before anyone even set foot on her, and I'm so glad that didn't cause us to cancel our cruise.

This show is not a real representation of the cruise we were on, except for a few things, and I can't image someone deciding not to do a Princess cruise based on this show. If you have your doubts, there is so much information you can glean from happy Princess cruisers on these boards. Ask away, that's what we are all here for.