Venting about "attire" threads

cruzersky2

Having traveled quite extensively I would venture to think the term "ugly American" comes not from the way some Americans dress, but by how they act. Some Americans are very loud, get annoyed in foreign countries when people don't speak English, and don't extend themselves to understand other cultures/traditions.

In our travels we have found that there are several other nationalities who have taken over the epithet "Ugly." Since most of Europe now uses English as the lingua-franca we fit right in on that. And the kind of behavior you saw in "If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium" is not that prevalent among American tourists any more. Most of us know how to queue, and say "I'm sorry" when we bump into someone. There are several other groups who do neither. So I have no problem with the fact that my dress, looks and behavior identify me as a Yank -- I'm proud to be one, and not afraid of anyone else's reaction.

Sratheden;

The answer to your question is yes, we didn't get on the bus. I could care less what fellow cruisers wear to museums or walking about town in. Each to his own. However, I find it repugnant when some dress, in the matter such as I described in a different post, to knowing go to visit one of the most iconic cathedrals in the world, and a place of ongoing (while we may be there) worship. We got to the cathedral on our own and toured on our own, we're adults. I have no desire to be identified with, nor tour such a facility with, people that show demonstrate absolutely no respect of place nor facility. Color me old fashioned, or on a boat that has sailed, it is what it is. I don't rejoice in the obvious crude behavior/dress some posters here seem to cherish.

Sratheden;

The answer to your question is yes, we didn't get on the bus. I could care less what fellow cruisers wear to museums or walking about town in. Each to his own. However, I find it repugnant when some dress, in the matter such as I described in a different post, to knowing go to visit one of the most iconic cathedrals in the world, and a place of ongoing (while we may be there) worship. We got to the cathedral on our own and toured on our own, we're adults. I have no desire to be identified with, nor tour such a facility with, people that show demonstrate absolutely no respect of place nor facility. Color me old fashioned, or on a boat that has sailed, it is what it is. I don't rejoice in the obvious crude behavior/dress some posters here seem to cherish.

Then I'm very happy that I've never cruised with you and your archaic dress codes.

Mark;

You may well not care, and that seems to be the sentiment of many Americans today. However, some of us still care and don't want to be associated with a tour group, going to one of the most beautiful and iconic cathedrals in Europe (that will have services going on) with multiple members that choose to wear their Portland Trailblazer basketball shorts, with sleeveless shirt with armpit cutouts to midriff; guys wearing their TX A&M cutoff gym shorts and a 15 year old Grateful Dead T shirt, or "ladies" wearing cutoff shorts, with the cutoff near the crack of their ass; etc.; etc. So after that performance, why should anyone care, or notice, if those same people go straight to the bar and drink until dinner and appear for dinner as they have been dressed all day?

I totally understand that many of my fellow Americans don't care, that's why the term "Ugly American" gets properly applied so often. Not caring makes one a facilitator of such poor taste, imo. As I implied before though, complaining about the issue is a waste of time, the only practical option is to find a different cruise line with different standards.

WOW, I have been on 13 river cruises and have never encountered anyone dressed this way.

Mark;

...I totally understand that many of my fellow Americans don't care, that's why the term "Ugly American" gets properly applied so often. Not caring makes one a facilitator of such poor taste, imo. As I implied before though, complaining about the issue is a waste of time, the only practical option is to find a different cruise line with different standards.

Not caring is not the issue, it is being tolerant of others who may not have on point fashion sense and being able to look beyond material accomplishments to see the good in people. That is not the meaning of "ugly Americans"...I venture to say that term is applied to Americans who have an inflated sense of entitlement, are judgmental and have unrealistic expectations.