Venting about "attire" threads

cruzersky2

I keep seeing questions about this! Seriously people, you don't need gowns and tuxes. Personally, I don't like jeans for anyone over 25-30 (JMHO). Black, khaki, navy, or other neutral colors work for pants. T's for women ok, if they aren't shabby. Men, stick with collared polo's or cotton shirts. Jackets usually aren't required, but I appreciate it when men wear a sports jacket for dinner. I like to take a simple dress or skirt for dressier nights, or even daytime. Everyone, please save the shorts and running shoes (unless for running/biking) for Caribbean cruises. The only exception is for your cabin, or on deck while cruising. I just don't get it when people spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a trip to a great destination and want to dress like they are going to the grocery store! I don't want to offend anyone, but Americans have such a bad rep overseas. It's really not that hard to dress decently. Hope I don't get flamed too much:eek:

I happen to wholeheartedly agree with you, however many cruisers don't. Viking, for example, has absolutely no dressed code printed or implied. In the past couple of years, I have witnessed that lack of policy taken to its ultimate extreme on their ships. Seems many cruisers book Viking because of that absence of any dress code. I'm on a Viking cruise this September in the South of France, but have booked Uniworld for next year's cruise. Last year, my wife and I skipped a couple of tours because we were embarrassed to get on the bus with the other cruisers because of the way many were dressed. If that is repeated on this September's cruise, it will be our last Viking tour. This is not a battle we can win, as earlier stated, many book Viking, and other lines, because they can dress as ratty as they please. One's best option is to search out cruise lines that have standards that meet their personal desires. Complaining about how Americans dress for tours or dinners aboard is like complaining about American's love affair with throwing litter out of the car window. Find a different cruise line with acceptable standards and book with them.

There are still a few restaurants in my small city that need to enforce the "no shirt, no shoes, no service!" So as long as my fellow passengers have their shoes and shirts (don't forget your pants) I will try and enjoy every moment of my upcoming cruise.

I keep seeing questions about this! Seriously people, you don't need gowns and tuxes. Personally, I don't like ...

There is a certain irony it complaining about the other threads then going on to list how other people should dress to meet your standards ... :)

I do appreciate the generally good natured intent of your 'rant', but the more I travel the less I worry about how others chose to dress and the less I let that be any kind of a factor in my own enjoyment.

Mark;

You may well not care, and that seems to be the sentiment of many Americans today. However, some of us still care and don't want to be associated with a tour group, going to one of the most beautiful and iconic cathedrals in Europe (that will have services going on) with multiple members that choose to wear their Portland Trailblazer basketball shorts, with sleeveless shirt with armpit cutouts to midriff; guys wearing their TX A&M cutoff gym shorts and a 15 year old Grateful Dead T shirt, or "ladies" wearing cutoff shorts, with the cutoff near the crack of their ass; etc.; etc. So after that performance, why should anyone care, or notice, if those same people go straight to the bar and drink until dinner and appear for dinner as they have been dressed all day?

I totally understand that many of my fellow Americans don't care, that's why the term "Ugly American" gets properly applied so often. Not caring makes one a facilitator of such poor taste, imo. As I implied before though, complaining about the issue is a waste of time, the only practical option is to find a different cruise line with different standards.

There is a certain irony it complaining about the other threads then going on to list how other people should dress to meet your standards ... :)

I do appreciate the generally good natured intent of your 'rant', but the more I travel the less I worry about how others chose to dress and the less I let that be any kind of a factor in my own enjoyment.

I think that some of the comments on this thread are mean spirited. And if folks are so narcissistic thinking that they are being judged on what others wear well that's their problem.

Seriously, embarrassed by fellow tour mates? I feel sorry if you worry about such trivial things on vacation. I, for one, could give a flying hoot what others look like.

We dress as we please for comfort, and convenience.

If you are worried about being judged based on the actions of your fellow Americans, look at the country as a whole. We are not the most popular citizens on the planet at the present.

Focus on the positives and stop judging people by their appearance. You may be missing an opportunity to get to know some great folks.

Bring on the fanny packs and white tennis shoes. :D People need to relax.

You may well not care, and that seems to be the sentiment of many Americans today.

It is not a question of simply 'not caring' ...

When you segue from not liking jeans and preferring men to wear jackets, to the extremes of midwest 'trailer park' chic you are not really comparing like with like.

I spend the majority of my time in Texas, my lawyers wear jeans, my banker wears jeans, even the Judge in the last court case I was involved in wore jeans. Jackets in a restaurant around here are pretty much unheard of.

I'm not going to give a second glance to a lack of jackets or even notice if someone is wearing jeans or not, it just doesn't register.

Now on the other-hand if you are genuinely vacationing in Europe with what sounds like the rejected extras from the 'Dukes of Hazzard' I do have some sympathy.

Personally, I just don't come across that level of sartorial decline in my vacation companions so I definitely agree you should book elsewhere if this is a regular occurrence.

Edited by Mark_T

Seriously, embarrassed by fellow tour mates? I feel sorry if you worry about such trivial things on vacation. I, for one, could give a flying hoot what others look like.

We dress as we please for comfort, and convenience.

If you are worried about being judged based on the actions of your fellow Americans, look at the country as a whole. We are not the most popular citizens on the planet at the present.

Focus on the positives and stop judging people by their appearance. You may be missing an opportunity to get to know some great folks.

Bring on the fanny packs and white tennis shoes. :D People need to relax.

I must humbly ask...what is wrong with white tennis shoes? I understand from the forums that they are a mark of an American. My most comfortable walking shoes are white New Balance. I wasn't that crazy about white but it was a great sale. I added pink laces, but they're still glow-in-the-dark white. I would never dream of wearing them to dinner, but you want something that won't let you down for a long walking tour. Are they that bad???

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I must humbly ask...what is wrong with white tennis shoes? I understand from the forums that they are a mark of an American. My most comfortable walking shoes are white New Balance. I wasn't that crazy about white but it was a great sale. I added pink laces, but they're still glow-in-the-dark white. I would never dream of wearing them to dinner, but you want something that won't let you down for a long walking tour. Are they that bad???

I was not criticizing white tennis shoes. The OP mentioned other "attire threads", and white tennis shoes are frequently mentioned as an offending piece of clothing, the sure mark of a tourist. I wear Merrilll low hikers (not sure if they offend or not, but they sure are comfy). :)

Since River cruises in Europe involve lots of walking over uneven surfaces, wear what is most comfortable for you and allows you to enjoy yourself. I know many people have a hard time finding comfortable shoes. So if you have some....wear them and don't worry if others don't approve. I have found that a smile, knowledge of a few words of a country's language, especially "thank you" will go a long way toward a good impression.

I have Merrill's also, but my white shoes are just more comfortable.

Maybe I am just ahead of the fashion curve (LOL!!!). This just posted today at Fodors.com/Community:

"White sneakers are finally the rage in Europe! Having just returned from Venice and Milan, I was struck by the amount of white I saw near the ground. Perhaps that awful taxi strike forced more sneaker-wearing people onto the streets. Is it possible American tourists (or a steady lack of them) have had their impact on European fashion trends?

Nike opened a large store just before you step onto the Ponte della Costituzione. A lot of taxi drivers in Venice are wearing white Nike sneakers these days. You can spot the Nike logo a mile away.

Does this mean criticizing the American tourist who loves his/her white sneakers is over?"

I happen to wholeheartedly agree with you, however many cruisers don't. Viking, for example, has absolutely no dressed code printed or implied. In the past couple of years, I have witnessed that lack of policy taken to its ultimate extreme on their ships. Seems many cruisers book Viking because of that absence of any dress code. I'm on a Viking cruise this September in the South of France, but have booked Uniworld for next year's cruise. Last year, my wife and I skipped a couple of tours because we were embarrassed to get on the bus with the other cruisers because of the way many were dressed. If that is repeated on this September's cruise, it will be our last Viking tour. This is not a battle we can win, as earlier stated, many book Viking, and other lines, because they can dress as ratty as they please. One's best option is to search out cruise lines that have standards that meet their personal desires. Complaining about how Americans dress for tours or dinners aboard is like complaining about American's love affair with throwing litter out of the car window. Find a different cruise line with acceptable standards and book with them.

I find your comments that many seek out Viking so that they can dress like slobs offensive. We have taken 3 Viking cruises and I have yet to see the type of attire you have described ( basketball shorts, tank tops w/ armpits showing, "ladies" who wear daisy dukes or worse). Viking's cruise docs do address in print the suggested dress code, which is; "casual aboard and ashore. Dinner attire is "evening casual" and the Captain's dinner is dressy but not formal". How some people interpret "casual" can vary greatly, and if that variation is what so greatly disturbs you, then yes, probably sticking to a line where you're assured that everyone wears a specific designer is for you. Good luck with that.

Becki

Having traveled quite extensively I would venture to think the term "ugly American" comes not from the way some Americans dress, but by how they act. Some Americans are very loud, get annoyed in foreign countries when people don't speak English, and don't extend themselves to understand other cultures/traditions.

As for cruise attire, I appreciate the looser standards. As long as someone is clean I don't give a diddly about if they have on jeans or sport jacket, etc. This elitism that people have to dress a particular way seems completely silly. On my upcoming cruise I will dress up when I desire and wear jeans in the main dining room. I personally would not wear jeans and a tee shirt but would not be in the least offended if my table mates chose such attire. I hope my table mates are bright and interesting and refrain from making any sort of racist, sexist, etc. remarks...or complain incessantly. For me it is all about one's behaviors. True class isn't what one wears but how they conduct themselves.

What are the dress codes onboard a Viking River Cruise?"During the day, casual with the emphasis on comfort as guests may be walking around towns and villages on their excursions. Sensible shoes, a raincoat and layers! In the evening, it’s smart casual – open neck shirts, slacks and dresses. Captain’s welcome is more dressy but not formal, men generally wear a jacket"

Having been on one Viking River cruise, I realize I speak from not a lot of experience. There is info on suggested attire. I FULLY believe that common sense should be applied here. Dress comfortably for the season, wear nice casual for dinner and please men.... No hats. I am certainly not the dress police and as someone has said since we have paid well for our cruise, I think we can dispense with the tank tops and muscle shirts for dinner. I may be showing my age, but I grew up in the time that a certain amount of respect was shown to dressing appropriately for the occasion.

T

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

The white shoes thing is kind of funny. While in Italy years ago some Italians told us that the tourists with white shoes are typically American...and while it wasn't said disparagingly, I did sense that it was poor fashion taste. This was just after 9/11 and the anti-American sentiment was high...people were truly angry with our country. I was glad I didn't have white sneakers with me. At that time it was best to be under the radar!

We have a good friend who is worth I excess of $5M. He wears jeans every day. I also know people who dress to the nines, who do so to pretend to be wealthy when they are not.

I don't dress to impress. I dress for comfort with the event in mind. DH does not wear a tux on formal nights on ocean cruises, but we do dress appropriately for the event.....but I'm not going to haul two suitcases and four carry-ons for my river cruise (ok, don't do that for ocean cruises either!), so you won't find me wearing a tiara to dinner.

We will be respectful, but I won't let someone else's opinions drive what I wear.

We have a good friend who is worth I excess of $5M. He wears jeans every day. I also know people who dress to the nines, who do so to pretend to be wealthy when they are not.

I don't dress to impress. I dress for comfort with the event in mind. DH does not wear a tux on formal nights on ocean cruises, but we do dress appropriately for the event.....but I'm not going to haul two suitcases and four carry-ons for my river cruise (ok, don't do that for ocean cruises either!), so you won't find me wearing a tiara to dinner.

We will be respectful, but I won't let someone else's opinions drive what I wear.

What....no tiara? OMG my cruise is spoiled and I haven't even boarded yet:)

Well, I must say that I wasn't expecting this conversation when I opened this thread... I thought that "Venting about attire threads" would be someone complaining about all of the time spent complaining about what other people wear, not actually doing the complaining.... This topic brings out as many responses as one on gratuities!!!!

I am more concerned that people don't smell - body odor, obnoxious perfumes, stale alcohol and\or tobacco - than I am about whether or not they wear jeans in the dining room, or forgot to pack their tiara....

Fran

Great points! I do find that people who have the most money, especially if they come from families with financial resources, dress down more than not. The newer wealthy or ones who want to appear seem more concerned about clothes.

Yes, no one want to smell, as in stink! But I personally do not like cologne on men or women--makes me nauseated! With ONE exception of a man in an elevator in Abu Dhabi last February--he smelled so good I wanted to eat him, but didn't.

I do have a tiara. Maybe I should bring it for the night I wear jeans to the dining room. That'll shake 'em up!

As Fran said earlier "attire" threads are almost as prevalent these days as "Tipping" and truth be told I generally comment in both.

Firstly what I find strange is that, and this is just a guess, that this topic on what men should wear was started by a woman and I've been married to the same one for just over 40 years and whilst she advises me on attire she doesn't get her knickers in a knot over what I wear on a river cruise either. I've never tied the term "Ugly American" into a dress code but if that is now the parameter then I'm sure I could be classed as an "Ugly Australian.".

This topic of dress first came to my attention just before I was to cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest with Tauck in September 2011. As an included part of that cruise Tauck provide a 5 course dinner and concert in a Palace in Vienna and from their literature it appeared that a coat and tie was required. As I live in tropical north Queensland where even the winter daytime temps don't get below 70 degrees F and the Summer temps hover around 95-100 degrees I simply don't own a coat and I haven't worn a tie since I retired from our Air Force in 1987. So off I went to the event dressed in a shirt and trousers and found that over half the men did the same thing.

In my humble opinion there is no dress code on any river cruise and having said that most men dress casually, even on a Tauck cruise. Ladies and some Gentlemen if you don't like the way someone dresses then simply look the other way but please don't tell us about it in a thread like this one have the guts to tell us to our faces.