Are RCI trying to alienate UK female cruisers

Hi all

there is a bit of a discussion going on, on facebook at the moment due to a question which was raised after changes to the RCI UK website.

Apparently there has been a change to the prohibited items on the UK site which states that hair straighteners and curling irons are now on the banned list

This only applies to the Royal Caribbean UK site, on the US site and the rest of the RCI group sites (Celebrity UK, Celebrity US, Azamara UK, and Azamara US) they are still allowed

When it was pointed out to Royal Caribbean UK that their's was the only policy to ban these items in the whole of the RCI group and even their own CEO had answered that they where allowed during a online Q&A "Ask Adam"

Royal Caribbean UK adamantly stated that these items were now banned

So I was wondering if Royal Caribbean UK are right and these items are now banned.

Why is this only applicable to UK customers?

Are there plans to roll this out across the entire RCI group?

Or are Royal Caribbean UK just incompetent in understanding there own company policies :eek:

I'll be interested to see what happens as well, but keep in mind the US and UK web sites being out of synch is classic RC. It has happened in the past that the UK site accidentally posted a policy change before the US had a chance to announce it (I believe last time this happened with allowing pax to bring wine onboard).

Specifically, in the list of prohibited items, it says this:

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners"

FYI, here's the link to the policy: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Edited by TBone2K

I've just viewed the prohibited items on RC UK and cannot see straightners on the list.. Can you see something I can't? (I hope not I will look like a right frizz head otherwise!)

Q: What items are not allowed on board the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with a blade length of 10.2 cm (4 inches) or more.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Bicycles, Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defence Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops on board will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

As someone whose daughter has left tongs on on the past (not on a cruise ship) I think they should be banned - or at least recognised that they are as dangerous as other banned items, eg, matches etc. and more dangerous than scissors.

I don't know what the answer is as us females need these items, but I think they are potentially very dangerous.

Edited by Adayatatime

I've just viewed the prohibited items on RC UK and cannot see straightners on the list.. Can you see something I can't? (I hope not I will look like a right frizz head otherwise!)

Q: What items are not allowed on board the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with a blade length of 10.2 cm (4 inches) or more.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Bicycles, Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defence Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops on board will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Hot plates.

Hot plates.

I hope I'm right, but in my opinion, hot plates do not refer to hair straighteners but plates to keep food hot.

The definition on the net also confirms this...

hotplate

ˈhɒtpleɪt/

noun

noun: hot-plate

a flat heated surface (or a set of these), typically metal or ceramic, used for cooking food or keeping it hot.

"he scrubbed the oven and hotplate"

Fingers crossed this is what RC think hot plates are too and not hair straighteners.

The amount of people who use them now as part of their hair routine, I would be very surprised if they were banned.... :eek:

Edited by rwright261

Apologise's I made a mistake in my original post it was a couple of months ago that Royal UK stated on facebook that both curling irons and hair straighteners were banned when it was pointed out to them that the US site said they were allowed as did CEO Adam Goldstein Royal admitted they had made a mistake

This time round

Curling irons allowed

Hair straighteners banned

Royal have posted on their facebook page that hair straighteners are on the prohibited list

Royal Caribbean International Hi xxxx, hair straighteners are unfortunately not allowed onboard. For a full list of what to pack, please refer to our website: Kind regards, Royal Caribbean UK

from the Royal UK website http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/why-cruise/before-your-cruise/what-to-pack/#tab-16-4040

What Not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board: Electrical transformers, hair straighteners, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks. For a full list of items please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewellery) in your checked-in luggage.

Royal UK website guest conduct policy does state that curling irons are allowed http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/Royal_Guest_Conduct_Policy_Royal_January2014_tcm16-49875.pdf

If I was a cynical person I would say that it is a ploy to get more ladies into the salons on the ships for formal nights :eek:

So if you booked in the UK you are allowed curly hair but not straight:D:D

Apologise's I made a mistake in my original post it was a couple of months ago that Royal UK stated on facebook that both curling irons and hair straighteners were banned when it was pointed out to them that the US site said they were allowed as did CEO Adam Goldstein Royal admitted they had made a mistake

This time round

Curling irons allowed

Royal have posted on their facebook page that hair straighteners are on the prohibited list

Royal Caribbean International Hi xxxx, hair straighteners are unfortunately not allowed onboard. For a full list of what to pack, please refer to our website: Kind regards, Royal Caribbean UK

from the Royal UK website http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/why-cruise/before-your-cruise/what-to-pack/#tab-16-4040

What Not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board: Electrical transformers, hair straighteners, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks. For a full list of items please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewellery) in your checked-in luggage.

Royal UK website guest conduct policy does state that curling irons are allowed http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/Royal_Guest_Conduct_Policy_Royal_January2014_tcm16-49875.pdf

If I was a cynical person I would say that it is a ploy to get more ladies into the salons on the ships for formal nights :eek:

Does this ban apply to sailings out of Barcelona?

I doubt they're purposely trying to alienate UK female cruisers.

If you booked in the US or EU hair straighteners are allowed,

book in the UK and hair straighteners are banned

Only if you booked with Royal Caribbean UK

If you booked with Royal Caribbean US your fine

I'll be interested to see what happens as well, but keep in mind the US and UK web sites being out of synch is classic RC. It has happened in the past that the UK site accidentally posted a policy change before the US had a chance to announce it (I believe last time this happened with allowing pax to bring wine onboard).

The worrying thing is that it could be a policy change across the group but I doubt it

More likely it's Royal Caribbean UK failing to put across the correct information

Though there is a rumour on facebook that if you have hair straighteners in your checked luggage you have to go to the naughty room and have your straighteners confiscated until the end of the cruise. This is only a rumour and has no corroboration outside of a facebook super fan claiming she has heard of this happening :eek:

If you booked in the US or EU hair straighteners are allowed,

book in the UK and hair straighteners are banned

Only if you booked with Royal Caribbean UK

If you booked with Royal Caribbean US your fine

When going through security, how is it possible for anyone to actually know in which country you booked the cruise.

Honestly I'm not surprised if there is a restriction, as hair straighteners as well as hair curling irons do get very hot. In fact, I have seen a few posts on CC where folks have suggested using a hair straightener to iron one's clothes.

I would imagine many women will be annoyed by the ban.

M

This time round

Curling irons allowed

What Not to Pack

How many security scanners will know the difference between a curling iron and a hair straightener? I have a ghd, which can be used as either.