Internet: Canada/New England ports of call

Moriah

Leaving next week on Maasdam from Montreal to Boston and suddenly realized I can't really take that week "off" - so I'll have to be in pretty constant contact with work and have the possibility of doing a little bit of it as well... so my question:

I am thinking of NOT buying the Maasdam's wifi package simply because I've heard the quality/speed/reliability is so poor, and just depending on my phone (I've bought a package with AT&T that will allow me to see my email and know if there is something I need to log onto my computer to do) and internet in ports. In other words, I'll wait until port to do any actual work, since I can use the phone for quick correspondence and to receive assignments. So question for real now :): In Bar Harbor, Sydney, PEI, and Quebec City - does anyone know of internet cafes or coffee shops where wifi is available within walking distance of the ship?

Edited by Moriah

In Sydney or Charlottetown just find the nearest Tim Hortons for free wi-fi. I don't know the locations but here in the Maritimes nobody has to walk very far to find one. Just ask anyone on the street. People are very approachable and happy to help tourists.

Starbucks will also provide wi-fi but they are few and far between.

In Sydney or Charlottetown just find the nearest Tim Hortons for free wi-fi. I don't know the locations but here in the Maritimes nobody has to walk very far to find one. Just ask anyone on the street. People are very approachable and happy to help tourists.

Starbucks will also provide wi-fi but they are few and far between.

What a great idea! I should have known Tim Hortons would have wifi, and I do know they are ubiquitous. I also happen to like their coffee. Thanks!:)

In Bar Harbor, Sydney, PEI, and Quebec City - does anyone know of internet cafes or coffee shops where wifi is available within walking distance of the ship?

The cruise terminal in Sydney, PEI and Quebec City had WiFi last week.

What a great idea! I should have known Tim Hortons would have wifi, and I do know they are ubiquitous. I also happen to like their coffee. Thanks!:)

You're welcome. Enjoy your cruise and your Timmie's. :)

Thank you Roy, this looks perfect! I checked the site, and it's funny they don't have their address! So I assume it's in the main tourist shopping area you can walk to from the tender?

27 Cottage which should be about 1 or 2 blocks on Main Street, turn right for about a block and it will be on your right.

I've used the Charlottetown wifi and found it pretty good, but it wold be hard for me to resist a Tim Hortons stop.

Roy

IN all ports - follow (or ask) the crew, they know.

DaveOKC

The only issue I have found with that is with many crew accessing the wifi, it can bog down the system significantly. We could not even log on in Mexico, as there were so many crew in the free wifi area. Lots of them like to Skype with their loved ones. (and if I were gone for months at a time, I would like this too...). I empathize with their situation.

My husband and I finally gave up, knowing that we required less bandwidth AND could afford the wifi on the ship.

You will find free Internet in the cruise terminals at Charlottetown, Halifax, Quebec City and very low cost at Sydney.

My memory is that it was free in Sydney, but then you sailed a few weeks later than I. Love the Sydney cruise terminal.

My memory is that it was free in Sydney, but then you sailed a few weeks later than I. Love the Sydney cruise terminal.

We always paid a few dollars but it was under $5.

Sadly, I didn't do that itinerary this summer. :( First time in

many years, I'll not be going to Canada.

We always paid a few dollars but it was under $5.

Sadly, I didn't do that itinerary this summer. :( First time in

many years, I'll not be going to Canada.

Well come along on the August 16 Historic Coasts. It's Boston to Boston. We'd love to share Veendam with you:)

In Quebec City, I tried the wifi at "Le Petit Cochon Dingue". I was on the second floor and it was good. The address is 24 Champlain street.

Tried wifi in some terminals, Charlottetown (slow when there are a lot of people using it) and Quebec city (good).

Bar Harbor, to my knowledge there are many free hot spots all over town. I saw crew members surfing the net outside, in the park near the tender dock.

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

just did 14 day roundtrip Boston-Montreal-Boston on the Maasdam last month..e-z to use wifi in Montreal...Quebec.. Charlottetown..Sydney and Halifax terminals.. all were FREE.. as in 'if it's FREE it's for me'.. Bar Harbor has many places-shops with wifi.. might have to buy a coke.. instead we had a lobster lunch--had the best/cheapest lunch special BTW-- at Geddy's in town

The cruise terminal in Sydney, PEI and Quebec City had WiFi last week.

We could not get anything to connect well in Sydney on the WiFi, it was awful. I would not rely on it's service. PEI wasn't much better. Too many people on too little bandwidth.

Well come along on the August 16 Historic Coasts. It's Boston to Boston. We'd love to share Veendam with you:)

That is so nice of you. THANK You. I would love to go but am not yet ready to cruise without DH. May I have a 'rain check'? :)

We did that Veendam cruise last August and it's a terrific cruise. We had done it a few times a few years back on Maasdam and then HAL didn't offer it. We cruised with good friends and were so pleased with the great experience on

Veendam. She 'exceeded our expectations'. Great crew; great cruise. I'd do that cruise again without hesitation.

Hope you like it as much as we did. :)

That is so nice of you. THANK You. I would love to go but am not yet ready to cruise without DH. May I have a 'rain check'? :)

We did that Veendam cruise last August and it's a terrific cruise. We had done it a few times a few years back on Maasdam and then HAL didn't offer it. We cruised with good friends and were so pleased with the great experience on

Veendam. She 'exceeded our expectations'. Great crew; great cruise. I'd do that cruise again without hesitation.

Hope you like it as much as we did. :)

Of course you may:) And I certainly understand. I'm especially looking forward to St John.