Something odd from first cruise?

What small strange thing do you remember about your very first cruise that sticks in your memory above other things, yet may seem odd if you had to describe to your friends about your experience.

When I went on the Norwegian Sea in 1997 I was fascinated that when you had dinner in the MDR every night, as well as getting half a dozen courses, was that the waiter had a tray of sauces for the salad - thousand island, blue cheese etc etc. there must have been 5 or 6 and in a weird way it was something I looked forward to every night (and I'm by no means a salad man :eek: ).

Odd but that's my weird memory :D

Seaward 1989 stepped onto the ship from the gangway and a lovely young lady asked if we would like a welcome aboard drink. She handed each of us one and thought what a nice start. Then she handed me a slip of paper to sign and I began to understood what cruising was all about 😂

I agree!! I thought that Welcome Aboard drink was the best thing ever!!! I don't think I even blinked when they asked me to sign for it, because it was the best drink ever lol!! That is still our tradition...Grab a drink at the first bar we see. It means we are ON VACATION!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

One great memory from our first cruise...I have always been plagued with sleep issues, and it was especially bad at the time of our first cruise. I was even on ambien, and did not stray far from my usual bed time for fear of messing it up. That entire first cruise was the best sleep of mine and dh's lives!!! Ohhh man, we sleep like the dead when we cruise, it's amazing!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

I was surprised how much I enjoyed being on the ship and how addicting cruising can be. I have just finished my 20th Norwegian cruise with 21 and 22 booked. I have spend this weekend trying to figure out how to put another cruise in the budget for 2014.

DH found old paperwork from our first cruise, which was our honeymoon in the basement. We were SO naive! We booked the CCL Triumph for Dec 26th 7 days and paid over 1,000pp for the smallest inside cabin ever!

Boy, we are so much smarter now, but that cruise will always have a special place in my heart! We had such fun over NYE, but I don't think we could ever pay such a premium price again!

Back in June of 1980 on Carnival's Mardi Gras, dining was a very formal affair. The silverware was placed with precision including the blade of your knife turned inward towards your place setting. Our table of eight amused ourselves by casually turning the blades outward. Each time we did this the waiter continually turned them back the "correct way." Never a word was said... he just keep "fixing" our knives until our meals arrived, no matter how many times we did it!

How small the outside cabin was on my first cruise 1986 CCL Carnival but how beautiful the ship was with all the real wood work and brass real old school craftsmanship even paid cash for everything on board and got to tour the complete ship including engine room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we went on our first cruise on the Veracruse (sp) in 1987, we had second seating dinner. There was a wine steward/sommelier to help with the wine choices (something I have not seem on a cruise in a very long time); by the time he worked at the second seating he was a bit tipsy from doing some tastings. He was very fun and a joy! :D

Had very good wines on that cruise........

Carnival Legend 2006. There was spa music in all the elevators and hallways. It was very calming. My sister doesn't remember it, so I may have just imagined it ?!?! But I can almost swear hearing it. Not an odd thing, I guess, but what I think of first.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Lots of things went wrong on my first cruise on the Crown Dynasty including being moved from my cabin because of fumes from the engine room and being sea sick BUT to answer your question was seeing all the silverware on the table and not knowing which ones to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carnival Ecstasy in 2003 was my first cruise. I loved the towel animals, especially how our steward would put sunglasses on them, have them reading a magazine, or holding the remote. Don't get that in hotels!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

My first cruise was in a porthole cabin waaaaay up in the bow and pretty low in the ship. I took a photo of my porthole every day when I woke up, amazed at seeing something different out there every time.

On the last morning, it was legs of the teamsters at the dock working disembarkation... I think that was the only time I used the curtains. :)

My first Cruise was a Disney Cruise. While at sea near the Bahamas the ship suddenly stopped. The kids and I were in our cabin looking out our window. Just ahead we saw a small boat floating in the ocean...a couple if people in the boat. To our surprise the next thing we saw was a Disney rescue boat heading out with Mickey on board! Yes even stranded people get the Disney treatment.

That night at the show cruisers were introduced to 3 men from the Bahamas whose small boat broke down and floated off course on a short island up! We dropped them off at the privte island the next morning!

Coolest thing I have seen yet on a cruise!

Our first cruise was 1989 on Premier's Big Red Boat. I remember how amazed I was at how easy it would be to just jump off the ship and no one would even notice. Lol. I also had my first caviar which I thought was jelly and I was SHOCKED at the salty taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first cruise was out of NYC in the early 80's. We booked a 2-day cruise to no where and I don't remember the ship. Very young and broke we took the cheapest inside on the ship. We opened our cabin door and both of us just stared at the cabin. We both started to laugh and couldn't stop, we had 2 sets of bunks....

We did our best to use them all, LOL

We are on number 22 but that always stuck with us.

Lynda