St. Maarten and St. Thomas excursions question

OP here- thanks for all of the suggestions! I should have explained more thoroughly-I asked about the coach buses because I am traveling with my children and am concerned about safety. I have an 11, 9 and 2 year old and am trying to figure out, first, if we are taking the 2 year old on our excursion (or if dh or I will stay on the ship with him) and second, if we take him, how we would get around with him. I am a huge on car seat safety and don't believe that because I am on vacation, I don't need to follow safety precautions.

I am going to look into some of the suggestions listed here- I had hoped that a RC tour would be "safe" meaning a coach bus, but since they are not, I will look for other options. Thanks again!

As an fyi, I just booked with Bernards tour for our September sailing. I did ask if they have any booster or car seats for a 2 year old as this information would be helpful for other cruisers too with small children. When I receive their response, I will advise you.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

If your sole safety concern is a car seat for your 2 year old, I doubt you will find any bus or cab that has car seats available. Is he big enough to sit in a booster car seat? If so, just bring one with you and use that with either a bus or a cab.

Thank you- he will not be big enough for a booster, but I will have his car seat with us- I just wasn't sure, from a lot of what I have read, if I could even find a cab to install the seat in! I also worry about having to hold onto it while at the beach, since I doubt a cab drive would hold it for us!

As an fyi, I just booked with Bernards tour for our September sailing. I did ask if they have any booster or car seats for a 2 year old as this information would be helpful for other cruisers too with small children. When I receive their response, I will advise you.

I will keep checking in to see what you find out! Thanks!

I also emailed Joyce Prince, as this sounds like it may meet our needs if the price works, because my dad may be able to join us as well (uses a wheelchair or a walker to get around depending on the day). Thank you again for all of your responses!

Edited by bayportkat

We just got back from a cruise to St Maartin and we got a taxi to Marigot and because it was slow season the cab driver waited for us. Our next stop was to Moho and then back to the ship. He only charged us $7 each from the cruise terminal to Marigot and $7 each to Moho and $7 each back to the ship $21 each ($147 total) for all three legs. There was 7 of us, no frills but it turned out great. Our cab driver George and he was great. Ask for George in cab number 55.

Shak

that's the going price from everyone

We were in St. Maarten two years ago on the Oasis, and I came to this site looking for excursion ideas because we weren't thrilled with the RCCL choices. We got several recommendations for Noel Tours and signed up for what turned out to be one of our best excursions ever. Wilbur Noel is a local who drove his own comfortable van all over and I mean ALL over both sides of the island. We stopped at a gorgeous private beach, at the shopping area of Marigot and at the crazy Malo Beach/Airport which is an absolute must. We stopped at a tidepool-y kind of place where we learned about sea urchins and other creatures. The whole time Noel keeps up a funny, informative, good natured (OK, a few corny jokes) patter. He's a family man who was great with the kids on our tour, and also shared a delicious rum punch with the adults who chose to partake (of course, he didn't!) St. Maarten is a beautiful island, and Wilbur Noel is a delightful, memorable guy - whatever you decide to do, enjoy St. Maarten, it's one of my favorite Caribbean islands so far! http://www.noeltours.com/

Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 2008

Norwegian Sun - Alaska 2009

Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2010

Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2012

Disney Wonder - Alaska 2013

Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2014

Edited by DaMom

OP here- thanks for all of the suggestions! I should have explained more thoroughly-I asked about the coach buses because I am traveling with my children and am concerned about safety. I have an 11, 9 and 2 year old and am trying to figure out, first, if we are taking the 2 year old on our excursion (or if dh or I will stay on the ship with him) and second, if we take him, how we would get around with him. I am a huge on car seat safety and don't believe that because I am on vacation, I don't need to follow safety precautions.

I am going to look into some of the suggestions listed here- I had hoped that a RC tour would be "safe" meaning a coach bus, but since they are not, I will look for other options. Thanks again!

I know exactly what you mean! We are the same way and we were beyond scared on that safari bus. We prayed for our lives the entire time! Just an FYI - she was 2 when we went and she had so much fun on the cruise. : ) I think our experience with St. Thomas would have been much more positive if I had done a private tour there as well. Good luck to you!

I know exactly what you mean! We are the same way and we were beyond scared on that safari bus. We prayed for our lives the entire time! Just an FYI - she was 2 when we went and she had so much fun on the cruise. : ) I think our experience with St. Thomas would have been much more positive if I had done a private tour there as well. Good luck to you!

I've done the safari bus to Magen's Bay more times than I can count and there is no way I would bring a 2 year old on an open air bus. I love Magen's Bay but hate the ride. When they stop at Drake's seat I say rosary that the brakes don't fail. :eek:

So far, I have been spared. :)

I vote for a private tour for your safety and sanity. Or at the very least, a private cab.

I was going to chime in with another recommendation for Bernards Tours. The cost is around $45 per person. Google them and see what they have to offer. I do not know how much fun the kids would have though. They would enjoy some of the tour but they might get bored. Safety wise, the tour is in a van and I do not remember if they have seat belts or not. They do offer rum punch for the older crowd but they also have non-alcoholic drinks too.

I'll second Bernard's. used them this week with Mailman. One of the best island tours we've ever taken. Every single person in our van was a happy customers, and that's not easy.

Isn't the Mailman the best!?! Probably one of the best tours we have EVER taken. Great value for your money and a great way to see much of the island. Remember why they call him the mailman...cause he delivers (at least according the the women of the island who fathered the Mailman's hundreds of children).

Isn't the Mailman the best!?! Probably one of the best tours we have EVER taken. Great value for your money and a great way to see much of the island. Remember why they call him the mailman...cause he delivers (at least according the the women of the island who fathered the Mailman's hundreds of children).

The Mailman only has 2 kids. His dad had 20 or 25.

If your sole safety concern is a car seat for your 2 year old, I doubt you will find any bus or cab that has car seats available. Is he big enough to sit in a booster car seat? If so, just bring one with you and use that with either a bus or a cab.

Thank you- he will not be big enough for a booster, but I will have his car seat with us- I just wasn't sure, from a lot of what I have read, if I could even find a cab to install the seat in! I also worry about having to hold onto it while at the beach, since I doubt a cab drive would hold it for us!

I will keep checking in to see what you find out! Thanks!

I also emailed Joyce Prince, as this sounds like it may meet our needs if the price works, because my dad may be able to join us as well (uses a wheelchair or a walker to get around depending on the day). Thank you again for all of your responses!

Bernards Tour responded to my email concerning your car seat and said:

"Yes our van have seat belts".