Let's Design Our Own Ship

Davidson Duo

Ok I'll play, a restaurant like Tamarind, a great Itialian restaurant (I said great, not Canaletto) and ofcourse also Pinnacle. I think that would do it.

I too would like to see a Tamarind and a REAL Italian like Chiappinos in Vancouver. You should Google it. Going there on my Birthday next week and am having the chiapino.

Design cabins to have drawers like in the "S" and "R" ships.

More power outlets in cabins.

Better lighting at desk/dressing tables.

Large cabin safes like those on Vista Class Ships.

Tapas Bar.

Shops with upgraded, quality items.

Cabins designed for solos including some with verandahs.

Doorbells for verandah cabins so it can be heard when on Verandah.

All sounds good to me, Judy.:D

I'd like to see a more impressive Atrium area.

More specialty restaurants:

Italian (and not just a section in the Lido)

Steakhouse (keep Pinnacle)

Asian theme

French

and perhaps a Churrascaria (NCL does this well)

Add a defined casual eatery (complimentary) with table service, with extended opening hours (again, like NCL's Blue Lagoon)

Designate a dining room as smart casual for the entire cruise, and keep one as formal for those that want it.

And, for heaven's sake, keep the evening dinner buffet in the Lido open past 8pm!

I too would like to see a Tamarind and a REAL Italian like Chiappinos in Vancouver. You should Google it. Going there on my Birthday next week and am having the chiapino.

I love a really good Chiappino.

Happy early Birthday, Gail. Hope you have a great day and wonderful dinner. :)

Crystal's losses are covered by the massive profits from NYK, Japan's largest cargo shipping company.

Oceania and Regent losses are covered by the profits at NCL - all owned by the same holding company.

Sea Dream cannot make a profit now - just like they couldn't when they were Sea Goddess.

Silver Sea is so far in the red that they will never get out of that deep hole. But the owners have so much money and such large egos that they don't care.

Seabourn lost millions for the very wealthy Norwegian family that started the company. After more than 20 consecutive years of big losses, even the wealthy Norwegians had enough. They sold out to Mickey Arison - who has even deeper pockets and an even bigger ego. But after a few years of blood-letting, even he could not afford it. He forced HAL to take Seabourn. But HAL couldn't afford it either. They immediately sold off the 3 smaller ships that were bleeding the worst and are now stuck with the bigger newer ones that are losing slightly less money.

Windstar bled so much money that HAL had to sell them off. After one year the new owners went bankrupt and sold them to a time share company with very deep pockets to cover their losses.

Lindblad and Hurtigruten losses are covered by Norwegian oil money.

Paul Gauguin is also losing money - but I don't have the inside info on how they are covering it.

I don't understand the business model behind such statements. "Loss leader" ships / lines / brands would seem to make sense only if they acted as "feeders" to the profitable brand. But to pick an example, presumably Oceania can hardly be considered a feeder to Norwegian. Tax advantages?

:)

As our little ship is just a figment of our imagination, I will just subsidize her from my imaginary Lottery windfall! :)

:DLove it!

:D Buzz killer.......

Can't you let us enjoy our fantasy? :D

This is a 'dream on' sort of thread where we can pretend we might get our wishes come true.

Back to reality, I guess.

Also Love it!:D

You all have added so much to our new design, so that I have nothing to add to it! Except perhaps more shelves in the Bathrooms & def. a walk in closet much like the Prinsendam's closet.. Also second the adding of a good Italian Restaurant & Steakhouse!

Design cabins to have drawers like in the "S" and "R" ships.

More power outlets in cabins.

Better lighting at desk/dressing tables.

Large cabin safes like those on Vista Class Ships.

Tapas Bar.

Shops with upgraded, quality items.

Cabins designed for solos including some with verandahs.

Doorbells for verandah cabins so it can be heard when on Verandah.

all of the above except as follows:

change-- Tapas Bar to a sea food restaurant

remove-- all shops except 1 that would sell only sundry's and souvenirs

add-- glass elevators mid ship

add-- more cabins with shower only, no bathtubs.

Edited by lazey1

I don't understand the business model behind such statements. "Loss leader" ships / lines / brands would seem to make sense only if they acted as "feeders" to the profitable brand. But to pick an example, presumably Oceania can hardly be considered a feeder to Norwegian. Tax advantages?

As much as I like Oceania, I understand why they may not be making money.. The line was started by Frank Del Rio & Joe Walters (sp?) around 2002 (date ???)

But in 2007 Oceania was sold to Apollo Management a Holding company which specializes in purchasing distressed Securities.. Apollo also owns NCL...

Apollo Stock is down almost 15% this year alone..We have to assume some of their holdings are in the red..

If you do some comparisons of Oceania & HAL, many times you will see that Oceania cruises are less expensive.. We cruised on them twice & both times their cruises were less than HAL's, because of all the extra's they give..

Edited by serendipity1499

One thing this theme makes me think of was a cruise on another line that shall be nameless - Anyway the PUBLIC areas were beautful but we noticed areas that were a disaster {?} -which I thought was rather odd OTHER than they were things not READILY noticed.

1. The library was on 2 floors connected by a circular staircase - as a former librarian I KNOW the toll of trying to carry too much too far [books are HEAVY]

2, but the follow up AREA was our room that had doors that were inconveniently placed AND a TOTAL lack of good storage space LIKE drawers [ the closet was large with one of the inconvenient doors -it interferred with 2 OTHER doors!

3. I think we're a LOT better off with GOOD professionals designing...............;)

Anne in Colorado

all of the above except as follows:

change-- Tapas Bar to a sea food restaurant

remove-- all shops except 1 that would sell only sundry's and souvenirs

add-- glass elevators mid ship

add-- more cabins with shower only, no bathtubs.

OH yes I forgot the bathrubs.. More cabins with showers only please!:D

Edited by serendipity1499

I would like to see true suites added. The current inventory of true suites is limited to just the PS category. Neptune Suites and Signature Suites are simply larger cabins.

I would also like to see more comfortable furniture included in all the cabins. Those sofas and chairs have got to be the most uncomfortable. Same for many of the options through out the ship. The chairs in the Crowe's Nest, for instance, are not conductive for an evening get together.

Cut the MDR in half and replace it with more speciality restaurants. I would enjoy seeing an italian restaurant, an American diner, a dessert/cafe bar. The Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind must be there.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Design cabins to have drawers like in the "S" and "R" ships.[/B]
[B]More power outlets in cabins.[/B]
[B]Better lighting at desk/dressing tables.[/B]
[B]Large cabin safes like those on Vista Class Ships.[/B]
[B]Tapas Bar.[/B]
[B]Shops with upgraded, quality items. [/B]
[B]Cabins designed for solos including some with verandahs.[/B]
[B]Doorbells for verandah cabins so it can be heard when on Verandah. [/B]
[/quote]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]Ok you can add all this to my list too, thanks Sails.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

More cabins with showers not bathtubs.
Cabins with very large windows and the bed away from the window like in balcony rooms. Whats the use of a window if there is a bed in front of it!
Refrig in every room,
Closets like the Princess cabins where the closet isn't across fromt he bathroom, but next to the bathroom (walk in).
Remove the couch and put in two confortable chairs in front of the window.

I like the idea of the dining room divided into smaller diningrooms with each having their own kind of food. German, Italian, Chinese etc.

I would like to see the lido buffet on another level besides where the pools are.

I would like to see some of the lounges enclosed with glass. I love to sit and listen to good music (Adago strings, now violin and piano) there is nothing worse than dinner being let out and a mob of people coming thru the hallway talking and interupting the music.

my 2 cents

As long as we are dreaming:

A pull along open ocean swimming pool and scuba diving facility for open ocean days.

Larger balconies that are shared across many rooms. Meeting people is the best part of a Cruise. Those small balconies are practically useless.

More outlets in the cabin. Include USB outlets.

Free WiFi throughout the ship.

That is all for now.

Wow, so many good ideas. I would like ore restaurants, refrigs in all rooms, full sized windows that fill a wall, way more outlets, and a buffet that is open till at least 10:00. a good steak restaurant would be great!