Summit

hampshire

We have 8 family members cruising to Bermuda next month on Summit. Age range from 8-74 years old. Is it acceptable on formal nights to wear a long sleeve dress shirt - tie - dress pants but no jacket for the children and grown men. Trying to keep the luggage to a minimum.

We have 8 family members cruising to Bermuda next month on Summit. Age range from 8-74 years old. Is it acceptable on formal nights to wear a long sleeve dress shirt - tie - dress pants but no jacket for the children and grown men. Trying to keep the luggage to a minimum.

Collared shirt and dress slacks/khakis are fine.

It would be advisable to use an alternate dining venue to respect those who do prefer to follow the dress code on formal nights. Only the MDR requires formalwear, the specialties do not, not even on formal nights. What you describe would be appropriate if the men and boys wore jackets however.

The dress you suggest is appropriate for all other nights, but for the tie that is not necessary on the other 'smart casual' nights.

That said, they do seem to be a bit lenient on the dress code in Bermuda. But then they also do sometimes turn away men without jackets, or require them to grab one from the stock of ill-fitting jackets to enter. The maitre'd makes these decisions on a case by case, cruise by cruise basis.

Collared shirt and dress slacks/khakis are fine.

Yeah, that's why they call it "Formal" night? :rolleyes:

I would, at the minimum, go with the dress pants, shirt, and tie, but since you are driving to the port, I would strongly recommend a jacket if you have one. You certainly don't have the excuse others use as to weight limitations when flying.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Edited by Wine-O

last week on Summit, at least half the men were not wearing jackets on formal nights

there were a couple of tuxedoes, many suits, many dress shirt and ties, several dress shirts only

I would, at the minimum, go with the dress pants, shirt, and tie, but since you are driving to the port, I would strongly recommend a jacket if you have one. You certainly don't have the excuse others use as to weight limitations when flying.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Maybe X should start letting those who actually dress formally (like myself) have complimentary specialty dining on formal nights and make the specialty restaurants all formal on formal nights....and actually enforce the dress code for the specialty restaurants.

My meal and main dining room experience wasn't affected by what the guy across the room was wearing on formal night. Perhaps you and a minority of cruisers should be accommodated on formal nights in a separate venue.

My meal and main dining room experience wasn't affected by what the guy across the room was wearing on formal night. Perhaps you and a minority of cruisers should be accommodated on formal nights in a separate venue.

There is a consideration called manners, and respecting your host's wishes. Celebrity currently (the host) requests we dress formally 2 nights on a 7 night cruise if we sigh to dine int he MDR and offers alternatives for those who don't want to, both free (buffet) and for fee (specialties). They don't keep it a secret, it's well publicized, and noted as well in the cruise documents one gets after doing check in. It's published in the daily when you first board which nights it will be and again each day it is imposed.

It's bad manners to go against the wishes of one's host, at least that's how I was raised. But some feel a sense of entitlement once they board a ship and feel the policies and rules don't apply, "i paid for this trip so i'll damn well do as I please" and overtime beat down the staff so much they just can't handle saying no to so many people so it falls apart. I feel worst for the door staff having to have the same conversations every formal night.

Many cruise lines exist that do not require formal nights, people who wish to avoid formal night dining should be seeking a cruise on those lines. Unfortunately many instead choose instead to display bad manners.

But to each his own and his own conscience.

I guess it would be OK to wear shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops on "Formal" night as long as it doesn't affect anyone's dining experience. :rolleyes::D:D

I wore a shirt, tie and dress pants, and was very comfortable and welcomed. I actually fit right in the middle of what cruisers chose to wear last week

I personally wouldn't walk into the dining room in shorts and a T shirt, but I couldn't care less if a table mate chose to do so, providing they were pleasant

Just off the Summit this morning. Had a fabulous time, but I was disappointed at the poor clothing choices made by a good number of our fellow cruisers, and by Celebrity's willingness to let people into theMDR on formal night in torn jeans shorts and flip flops.

And, yes, it does negatively affect me when people do so as I go into it with an expectation of a certain level of ambiance. You wouldn't dress in shorts on land at a restaurant that asks you to respect your fellow diners by maintaining some semblance of dressy attire, so why would you do it on a cruise ship?

I did notice that people dress nicer later in the evening, not sure why.

bottom line is, your male family members will be perfectly suitable and appropriate in a dress shirt and tie

I don't know why people post incorrect information but here is the correct information. One of three things will happen, they will be refused entry to the MDR, they will be offered a jacket to be worn in the MDR or they may be allowed into the MDR. It all depends on who is at the door, Celebrity is consistently inconsistent in the enforcement of their dress code. Those are the options, choice is yours but I want you to know reality.

Edited by dkjretired

What's next - torn jeans, shorts, flip-flops to a formal wedding because you feel like it and it shouldn't affect your fellow attendees or the bride and groom????? Geez. Am I so old and moldy that I just don't realize that respect and manners don't matter anymore? I certainly hope not. Like the saying goes, integrity is doing what is right even when no one is looking. To my way of thinking, honoring the dress code is doing what is right, not what you can get away with. The total lack of respect for others that the 'I'll do whatever I damn well please' crowd displays onboard and on these boards is disgusting. But I know I am just wasting my words because they are so self-centered nothing I can say here matters to them anyway, so I bid good-bye to this thread before it really goes downhill like these threads usually do.

Just my opinion. No jacket is fine for kids (16 or so and under) after that, formal really should include a jacket.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

We certainly have formal wear - I am a diamond member with Cunard which is very formal line. I have been reading more and more that Celebrity is very casual these day's with very few passengers wearing formal clothing at dinner. After reading these reviews I am still not sure - sounds like a mixed bag.

We certainly have formal wear - I am a diamond member with Cunard which is very formal line. I have been reading more and more that Celebrity is very casual these day's with very few passengers wearing formal clothing at dinner. After reading these reviews I am still not sure - sounds like a mixed bag.

Truth is, yes it's definitely a mixed bag. There are plenty though who appreciate the formal nights and eagerly want to see them respected by our fellow travelers.

The line will go the way of its passengers though at the end of the day, hopefully enough of us stick to the formal plans to protect those special evenings.