What would you do?

Final payment on a Mediterranean cruise is due Tuesday flights are all paid for and we had our 2 oldest kids booked in our room with the 3/4 guest free we only paid $118 for taxes for the cruise for each kids. Son informs us today he's not going! {giving up a free trip -long story) Do I go ahead and pay final payment with him on the booking in case he changes his mind by Sept. or cancel him and at least get that money back as I will be losing his air as it is a non refundable ticket. Any advice or tips?

Not knowing the full circumstances, and it is none of my business, I would not cancel, he will probably change his mind.

If when time comes he still does not want to go, does the other child have a friend he/she could take in his place?

And then it is just a case of a name change.

Just an idea .

Edited by PompeySailor

Was he ever really committed? Has he been going back & forth?

Why give up a free trip?

We need more info before we give our best advice...

My brother can't commit to our next cruise so instead of booking a 2-bedroom suite for the 5 of us, we booked 2 verandas for the 4 that could commit. If brother decides closer to sailing he wants to join, he will need to bring a friend or pay the single supplement if we can't get back into the suite for a reasonable price.

If your son decides not to go, and he had committed and went back on his word, you should deduct the cost of the trip from his allowance (little by little) or have him work it off in chores.

final payment on a mediterranean cruise is due tuesday flights are all paid for and we had our 2 oldest kids booked in our room with the 3/4 guest free we only paid $118 for taxes for the cruise for each kids. Son informs us today he's not going! {giving up a free trip -long story) do i go ahead and pay final payment with him on the booking in case he changes his mind by sept. Or cancel him and at least get that money back as i will be losing his air as it is a non refundable ticket. Any advice or tips?

i'll go !!:)

Another vote for "keep him on" it's only 118.00 if he changes his mind. Don't pressure him to go though if he truly doesn't want to go, I've had teenagers on our cruises just sit in their cabin (can't figure that one out) and it made the parents not having as good of a time worrying about the kids.

He is 25 already made sure he could get that week off and last winter was told if he said he was going then backed out he'd have to pay us back what we'd lose! Now of course he don't want to fork out that kind of money, he will go and SUFFER through it but DH says no way he's going to go ruin our vacation! It is a big mess! I know lots of people would love this opportunity he is throwing away but name changes on airline tickets aren't allowed from my understanding?

Edited by tidygirl

Obviously depends on the circumstances, but if the $118 is taxes and fees only and fully refundable until sailing, keep him on. But for me, I would give him until final payment date, ask one last time for full commitment, and go from there. Personally I would "let" him stay home and miss the trip. He's 25 and capable of making an adult decision. But I'd bill him for the lost airfare. A friend went on a cruise and agreed to take her adult son as a companion. He bailed a week before the cruise for no reason. She simply ate the loss. He learned nothing. He needed to be held accountable for his decision. I would say that if it's just a matter of changing his mind or "suffering" through, I'd let him change his mind and be held accountable for the loss. He's the one who will miss out, let him. Good luck.

Don't touch your reservation. There is absolutely no advantage to doing that. Your son's cruise fare was free and you have already bought nonrefundable airfare. Pay the port taxes - you will get them credited back after the cruise. The way Royal has been going recently, there's a good chance they would completely reprice your cruise if you cancel your son.

Meanwhile you have 2+ months for him to change his mind. Move on. Keep him in the loop about your plans. Tell him you'll miss him, but that the three of you will have more cabin space. Talk about the excursions you have booked and how exciting it will be etc etc.

Don't touch your reservation. There is absolutely no advantage to doing that. Your son's cruise fare was free and you have already bought nonrefundable airfare. Pay the port taxes - you will get them credited back after the cruise. The way Royal has been going recently, there's a good chance they would completely reprice your cruise if you cancel your son.

Meanwhile you have 2+ months for him to change his mind. Move on. Keep him in the loop about your plans. Tell him you'll miss him, but that the three of you will have more cabin space. Talk about the excursions you have booked and how exciting it will be etc etc.

Agree with your first part, but disagree with the second, keeping him in the loop, at 25, time for that little boy to grow up!:cool:

So you already told him he would have to pay if he backed out and he's backing out? I would leave the reservation as is and have him pay back every penny! Time for him to grow up and take responsibility for his actions!

Having been young once, can I ask if he is still living at home? He may not want to go because he'll have the entire house to himself - party! When I was younger, some days would have been a toss up to vacation with the Fam, or have the house to myself, and invite friends over.

To the OP: Keep him on the booking. He may come around and want to cruise with the old folks. :cool:

He is 25 already made sure he could get that week off and last winter was told if he said he was going then backed out he'd have to pay us back what we'd lose! Now of course he don't want to fork out that kind of money, he will go and SUFFER through it but DH says no way he's going to go ruin our vacation! It is a big mess! I know lots of people would love this opportunity he is throwing away but name changes on airline tickets aren't allowed from my understanding?

First, as others have said, don't eliminate him from the reservation. If he doesn't go, you'll be reimbursed the $118 taxes/fees applied to his fare anyway, so that's a wash.

Just MHO…but I believe a 25 year old MAN needs to accept the consequences of his decisions. Doesn't want to go? Fine - that's more room for the rest of you, but since he was already told he'd have to reimburse your loss if he backed out, then that's what he does. He needs to pay for the air that won't be used. (Then he will own his ticket and if he wants to pay a change fee he could use it to go somewhere else for a self-funded vacation.)

I don't believe for a minute he will suffer much on a cruise. Surely a 25 year old man would not behave like an emotional adolescent, determined to make you suffer for the whole week? I don't think he will punish you and ruin your vacation if he goes. If he does, or if you and/or your DH truly believe he will do this, then you have problems much worse than the loss of $$ for his airfare.

As for the reimbursement, set up monthly payments and let him know he has to pay you back and what date each month his payment must be made. Give him a new balance after each payment so he knows where he stands. If he doesn't make the payments, then just give him a card in lieu of birthday and holiday gifts until you have fully reimbursed yourself for what you've spent and he didn't pay back.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Do not cancel. No one has said this, but this is my experience. We have 3 in the room and when the sale for 3/4 sail free came along I tried to get 3rd person with just port fees extra.

Wasn't allowed needed the forth person in room to get that. So you will be charged a normal fee for 3rd person if you cancel the 4th.

Hope this makes sense.

Do not cancel. No one has said this, but this is my experience. We have 3 in the room and when the sale for 3/4 sail free came along I tried to get 3rd person with just port fees extra.

Wasn't allowed needed the forth person in room to get that. So you will be charged a normal fee for 3rd person if you cancel the 4th.

Hope this makes sense.

You don't need a 4th to get the 3rd sailing free. There was some kind of miscommunication there. They may have wanted to reprice your cabin to current rates with the promo.

She really doesn't need to cancel the 4th because taxes and port fees should be refunded if he doesn't go.

Hope this makes sense.

You don't need a 4th to get the 3rd sailing free. There was some kind of miscommunication there. They may have wanted to reprice your cabin to current rates with the promo.

She really doesn't need to cancel the 4th because taxes and port fees should be refunded if he doesn't go.

Agree, we have 3 on our upcoming cruise (in a cabin that can hold 4), the 3rd was covered with the 3/4 sail free promo. Only paying taxes and port charges on the 3rd passenger.

Definitely something was off on the communication somewhere.

As others have said don't cancel your son yet. With all the crazy re-pricing they have been doing lately I would be afraid something would happen and since you will get them back anyway, wait.

So you already told him he would have to pay if he backed out and he's backing out? I would leave the reservation as is and have him pay back every penny! Time for him to grow up and take responsibility for his actions!

Yes he was told this and that is why he said he will go and suffer through it! My hubby now refuses to allow him to go( as vacation time is very important to us) Son says we will be stealing from him as we refuse to let him go with the attitude he is giving us. He no longer lives at home and dad and I are enforcing tough love at this point! Though my softhearted mom side is being crushed as we have always taken our family on our big trips and know i will miss this but I will survive! Both daughters and new Sil will be with us and I just know my son will regret his choice!

Edited by tidygirl

Yes he was told this and that is why he said he will go and suffer through it! My hubby now refuses to allow him to go( as vacation time is very important to us) Son says we will be stealing from him as we refuse to let him go with the attitude he is giving us. He no longer lives at home and dad and I are enforcing tough love at this point! Though my softhearted mom side is being crushed as we have always taken our family on our big trips and know i will miss this but I will survive! Both daughters and new Sil will be with us and I just know my son will regret his choice!

Hmm... I would probably allow him to join us BUT - this is the last trip Mom & Dad pay for!

My mom took me on a college grad Easter Med cruise in 2005. We had a ball. But that was the last trip I had paid for me. I'm 30 now, and we still find a way to cruise/travel regularly :)

Perhaps you can alter the approach. During the discussion it was established that if he tages along the price differences for the cruise is only taxes / tips.

As a gesture of good will you are not charging him for the flight. But he lost his privilege to tag along for free. If he changes his mind he has to pay for the taxes / tips himself.

Edited by AntiCat