Izumi reviews?

We love sushi and were wondering if Izumi is really good. The menu looks great. We are not snobs about it but is the sushi and sashimi worth it on the ship? Fresh tasting.The prices don't seem too high with a nice selection? Is it open for lunch?

Grandeur in August to Bahamas.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On all the ships that we've been on with Izumi, it has been open for lunch. The lunch menu had much less than the dinner menu, no hot rock, no tempura, no sukiyaki.

Chiggiebug,

Why not?

quality or price?

we are hesitant to go on ship since for 40 dollars we eat like kings at our local sushi place [we go 3-4 times a month] [not counting bar bill and tip but the charge there doesnt include those either]

We love sushi and were wondering if Izumi is really good. The menu looks great. We are not snobs about it but is the sushi and sashimi worth it on the ship? Fresh tasting.The prices don't seem too high with a nice selection? Is it open for lunch?

Thanks

Here is an interesting endorsement:

I have never eaten there, but Darryl, Activities Manager on the Grandeur of the Seas, LOVES LOVES LOVES Izumi.

:D

Thanks

I am a sushi snob. It was decent. The sushi was fresh if not particularly inventive. I'd say it's worth a try. That being said. I have a trip on Oasis booked this fall and am not planning on going to Izumi. Enjoyed it but didn't love it enough to return. I'd rather go to 150 Central Park and the Chefs Table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

if you want 'real;' sushi, Izumi is not the place to be.

if you want semi decent americanized attempts at interpreting sushi., it's perfectly adequate.

it pales in comparison to Tokyo sushi go rounds

It was my first attempt at eating sushi, my wife is an experienced sushi eater. I LOVED Izumi in general and the sushi in particular. My wife thought the food was good and was happy that I finally tried (and enjoyed) sushi.

Our experience with Izumi on the Oasis was excellent. Our experience on the Brilliance was quite horrible. On the Brilliance (a transatlantic/Baltic sea cruise B2B) we went to Izumi on both legs of the cruise. The first leg, the TA, it wasn't great, just OK. But, when we went the second time (my sister joined us on the second cruise and wanted to go) and the sushi was horrible....it tasted very old. My stomach was queasy for the rest of the night. I should have complained but it's not my thing. If we don't like something we never go back.

I think I would try it again on a short, USA based cruise, but never again on a TA or European cruise.

Having said all that, the caramel, banana pancake dessert was to die for and I will try and get that again without doing the whole dinner. :D

We tried it for lunch on the Navigator last week. It wasn't great, and it wasn't horrible. A la carte menu pricing. Probably wouldn't do it again, as it was really just mediocre at best. Service, however was wonderful.

PS - If there is a Sabor onboard, hands down some of the best specialty food I've ever had on a cruise. Tableside guacamole is to die for!

Thanks

You're in luck. We were obsessed with sushi on the Grandeur in November, it was excellent. These two pages of my review have the photos and comments about Izumi, hope they help!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1940705&page=3

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1940705&page=5

Just sailed Oasis 6/21-6/28/14 Western Caribbean

We ate Izumi 3 times (2 lunch). The food is fresh, reasonable and the right temperature. It is not the very best I've had, but it is very good. The waiters were nice and attentive. The menu has a fair selection of fresh fish and specialties. It is a nice alternative to the other restaurants onboard.

ImageUploadedByForums1404792907.811755.jpg.656a2fc77e701bc20d8e9a6177a173de.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404792937.743055.jpg.057d304c7e41891f93788cdd99328fd9.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404792978.208464.jpg.f54c3130fb0b66c9f0678b2b78a9885d.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404793009.336623.jpg.88b67ff276e4d150228e8c70607e3ce6.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404793038.631934.jpg.24396dee23a62a82dbd608e942594bce.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404793064.104441.jpg.50ad61ef150188cef0545b03150c6549.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404793110.079431.jpg.fa8e6fa6aef50280fff1de2e6c6ce6c8.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404793139.798351.jpg.a2b96225f0410f5aa59fa8f27805a772.jpg

Dinner menu is more extensive then lunch. Fresh steamed edame is served gratis. Fine selection of Saki.

Overall impression..... so so..... they did say however that they do take out..... did not try their sashimi and would like to in future.

Here's the link to the page in my blog from Legend of the Seas last month (just scroll down) . No dessert.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We had dinner one night at Izumi on Vision last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was ten times better than the main dining room. For $25 I ate better than I would at my local sushi restaurant. We received warm towels prior to the meal for our hands, freshly warmed sake, complimentary edamame and miso soup. I had two sushi rolls which were delicious along with shrimp dumplings. My two friends who are not sushi fans ate the hot rock seafood combo and loved it as well!

Such a nice quiet, relaxed dining experience, and a treat for a sushi lover like me!