Balcony Smoking on Carnival

CRUZBUDS

Gee that sure is funny. I had a cigar smoker next to me on my last cruise and it stunk. I just love the smoke dissipates in the wind theory. I can assure you it doesn't.

Wasn't me! I always ask by fellow balcony folks before I light up my cigar. I find common courtesy truly goes a long . :)

I have great memories of smoking cigars with my brothers and our new cabin neighbor friend on our deck. Note that these people who complain must have blood hound noses. The wind would pull the smoke from the cigars right out away from the ship. You could barely smell the smoke of your own cigar much less the smoke in the next deck over, under, or above.

I also have memories of a youth when I loved my cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and some other things that we can not mention. But when the evidence started to mount about the health effects, I realized that if I truly loved my family it did not make sense for me to practice an addiction that would probably reduce my life span by about 10 years. So this was one time in my life where I put others (the ones I love) ahead of me and quit. Now, like many ex smokers, I truly detest the smell of cigarettes, although the smell of a very good cigar or pipe brings back fond memories.

Hank

Wasn't me! I always ask by fellow balcony folks before I light up my cigar. I find common courtesy truly goes a long . :)

No, it wasn't :). You seem like a very nice person. I appreciate that very much. Would be happy to have you as my neighbour on a cruise.

Just curious, why no one has brought up the number of deaths associated with alcohol, and yet, I don't hear anyone suggesting that should be banned? And yes, alcohol consumption can certainly cause harm to others, and no I do not smoke, and yes I do find this all a bit ridiculous!

Our next cruise is on Carnival; our last cruise was on HAL.

And.........this thread degenerated just like all smoking threads on every forum for every line do.

I was one who voted with our dollars after a particularly bad cruise in 2007 on the Volendam. Our next-door neighbor (we were in an HH) must have spent their entire cruise sitting in their stateroom smoking. Our room smelled like an ashtray! And the hallway was worse. So we branched out to other lines.

Then HAL changed its policy so we just did the Veendam repositioning cruise from FLL to Quebec City in May. It was WONDERFUL! It felt like coming home. I am so thankful HAL banned stateroom smoking.

We've had balconies on Carnival and RCI. We will not book a balcony on a line that allows balcony smoking after that Carnival balcony (2009) so I am glad Carnival has banned smoking on their balconies.

We are looking to do a TA next, but won't be booking on NCL or HAL. We want a balcony. So we will again be voting with our dollars. Shrug. Maybe HAL will change its policy before we book the TA! We certainly hope so.

Robin

Crus Chic, that definitely wasn't me, I'm one of the fat people lol! People have just gotten out of hand the last few days for sure. I hope they go back and read their posts and can still look in the mirror. Hate hate hate, wow.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Just curious, why no one has brought up the number of deaths associated with alcohol, and yet, I don't hear anyone suggesting that should be banned? And yes, alcohol consumption can certainly cause harm to others, and no I do not smoke, and yes I do find this all a bit ridiculous!

If someone drops dead due to alcohol on their balcony, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of my balcony in the least. (Unless nobody finds them and they start to stink)

So many seem miss the point entirely. :rolleyes:

Cruzbuds:

Yes, I do think you miss the point entirely. How many people do die from alcohol, hope you are trying to stop this addiction as vehemently as others are trying to stop those with a nicotine addiction. I have been bothered much more frequently on cruises by those who have had too much to drink, than those who smoke on their balconies, and if you truly looked at it I do remember that it was a fellow who was drunk, who dropped the anchor on a HAL ship while it was moving, not a fellow who was smoking. Not to mention the deaths of innocents on the roads because of alcohol, and the number of children effected by the same.

I was only trying, maybe too obliquely for some, to point out that as long as cigarettes are legal and smoking is allowed, along with alcohol on cruise ships why not try to enjoy your cruise and try not to get too upset or hung up on what others are doing?

The chances of someone drunk affecting my own health on a ship is rather remote. Off a ship that is a bigger issue e.g. with drunken driving and there are laws and education programs trying to address that.

Hal is working to reduce alcohol consumption by limiting the number of carried on wine bottles and charging a corkage fee. Next they will close the bars early followed by not drinking before 6:00pm. Then they will ban alcohol consumption on the balcony and then... a total ban! This is a top secret mission to make sure no one is harmed by too much alcohol.

Sincerely,

A non-smoker, non-drinker, non-judgmental guy who loves to cruise:D:D

One of my favourite things in the world is sitting on my balcony with a drink and a good cigar enjoying the view of the ocean. This is one of the main reasons we sail with Hal. I would be very disappointed if Hal followed the PC crowd. :(

Now if they would just ban kids from cruise ships.........

I don't understand why 1) kids should be banned from cruise ships and 2) what kids on cruise ships has to do with a thread about smoking and general health. . .

Cruzbuds:

Yes, I do think you miss the point entirely. How many people do die from alcohol, hope you are trying to stop this addiction as vehemently as others are trying to stop those with a nicotine addiction. I have been bothered much more frequently on cruises by those who have had too much to drink, than those who smoke on their balconies, and if you truly looked at it I do remember that it was a fellow who was drunk, who dropped the anchor on a HAL ship while it was moving, not a fellow who was smoking. Not to mention the deaths of innocents on the roads because of alcohol, and the number of children effected by the same.

I was only trying, maybe too obliquely for some, to point out that as long as cigarettes are legal and smoking is allowed, along with alcohol on cruise ships why not try to enjoy your cruise and try not to get too upset or hung up on what others are doing?

Well now. You posed the question regarding the absence of alcohol poisoning and related social ramifications as opposed to smoking. So I ask you, give me a parallel argument in favor of smoking that anywhere approaches a positive medical espousement such as this for alcohol:

"Canadian and US analysts recently reviewed 84 alcohol studies to come to the conclusion that drinking a small amount of alcohol reduces the overall risk of death from cardiovascular causes by 15 to 25 per cent. Creina Stockley, Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI) manager health and regulatory information, says drinking red wine in moderation has even greater benefits. People that drink a moderate amount of wine regularly, particularly with food, have a 30 per cent reduced risk of heart diseases." "Red wine is good for you in moderation – with one- to two-glasses a day there is a reduced risk of heart disease."Red wine has a reputation for being the healthiest alcohol-based beverage because of its relatively high percentage of antioxidants, but too much of any type of alcoholic drink is linked to numerous health problems. Limiting yourself to a serving of red wine per day can provide certain health benefits without significantly increasing the risk of alcohol toxicity."

I detest smoking of any kind within the interior portions of the ship. I can give you some real horror stories where the ignorant practices of smokers have completely ruined long voyages by others. After over 500 sea days, I can not come anywhere close to equating the large number of smoking unpleasantries with the few alcohol related disturbances we have witnessed during our voyage experiences.

But, having said that, I have never had a problem with those on our nearby balconies that do smoke, cigarettes or cigars. I have never smoked. We travel with three lines only, Princess, Regent and HAL. Regent does not allow smoking on the balconies but HAL does. Hey, I also agree that alcohol abuse is a scourge on society and as well I also hate drunken behavior wherever you may find it. Never mind though that this thread is about balcony smoking.

Regent is an all inclusive. Meaning, free booze. We have never encountered anywhere close to a sole inebriate or drunken group on Regent. Sure have though on Princess and to a lesser extent on HAL, where with both you pay directly for all your drinking. Worst we ever witnessed was the Carnival Triumph on a "booze cruise" out of Galveston which tied up along side of us in Grand Turk. Reflecting upon that scene me makes me want to shutter.

Edited by kennicott

I have to call foul on the talk of fire safety due to smoking on balconies. How many incidents have actually happened.

One that I know of, and a man died. The report is quite sobering.

http://www.shipdetective.com/advice/safety/pdf/Star%20Princess89.pdf

We had been on that ship a few months previously and were in one of the staterooms that burned, so it has always stuck in my mind.

Robin

Sorry some of you did not get the sarcasm of my previous posts. I was merely trying to point out that smoking threads get ridiculous, by saying things like ban smoking, ban perfume, ban kids, ban fat people, ban old people etc. etc. I really did just find it curios that among the things being banned by some posters, no one suggested banning alcohol.

Frankly, I really have never been bothered by smoke on my balcony in many cruises, and truly I do not get too worried about what others do. I just love to cruise. These threads so often deteriorate to such a level as to become almost amusing, but often annoying.

Can we all just be grateful for the opportunity to cruise and just go have fun?

Sorry some of you did not get the sarcasm of my previous posts. I was merely trying to point out that smoking threads get ridiculous, by saying things like ban smoking, ban perfume, ban kids, ban fat people, ban old people etc. etc. I really did just find it curios that among the things being banned by some posters, no one suggested banning alcohol.

Frankly, I really have never been bothered by smoke on my balcony in many cruises, and truly I do not get too worried about what others do. I just love to cruise. These threads so often deteriorate to such a level as to become almost amusing, but often annoying.

Can we all just be grateful for the opportunity to cruise and just go have fun?

SO VERY WELL STATED!!! The voice of reality, the voice of truth, the voice of being grateful! I love it!

I have to say I have never, yet, been bothered in any way on a cruise by someone else's drinking.

I have, and he was obnoxious. Women lived in fear of him every night!

It was a 15-night cruise, and he appeared in the rather small, enclosed lounge every night, already drunk. He managed to get his hands on every woman's body before he staggered out. Every night.

Uggers.

It was WONDERFUL! It felt like coming home. I am so thankful HAL banned stateroom smoking.

Robin

I don't understand why people want to go away but also feel it's like "coming home". I've read this a few times recently on different threads.

That's last thing I want when I go away - I want new, exciting and different:)

Same old, same old is boring!

I have, and he was obnoxious. Women lived in fear of him every night!

It was a 15-night cruise, and he appeared in the rather small, enclosed lounge every night, already drunk. He managed to get his hands on every woman's body before he staggered out. Every night.

Uggers.

You'd think security would do something about that.