Norovirus

bluebelt

I am most likely going to be cruising mid Dec and am wondering if the increased possibility of getting noro in the winter would keep others from cruising? I am a germaphobe when it comes to getting the stomach flu (or anything similar). If we go I was definitely planning on purchasing hospital grade disinfecting wipes...any other suggestions to staying healthy (other than hand washing)?

The truth of the matter is that you can take all the precautions you want (wiping, washing hands, etc.) and the first time after doing that you touch something (a computer keyboard, a book in the library, the back of a chair, etc.) that's been touched by someone with Noro, and then put your hand near your mouth or nose, you're either going to come down with it or not. An entire (and very expensive) hotel, the Mohonk Mountain House in upstate NY had to be closed for disinfection recently for Noro; it's not just on cruise ships. As for germs, they're everywhere. There's a theory that children who are allowed to play in the dirt develop anti-bodies to a lot of things that more cosseted children are prey to; as an aging boomer who spent years playing in the dirt (both before and during my time in the army) and who never gets infected by cuts, or sick from a lot of stuff my younger friends suffer from, I think it may be true. I do, however wash my hands whenever I can.

Edited by Langoustine

I am most likely going to be cruising mid Dec and am wondering if the increased possibility of getting noro in the winter would keep others from cruising? I am a germaphobe when it comes to getting the stomach flu (or anything similar). If we go I was definitely planning on purchasing hospital grade disinfecting wipes...any other suggestions to staying healthy (other than hand washing)?

Cruise ships sail full most of the time, summer and winter.

If this is a concern (as you mentioned), I would spend some time researching about how this is spread from reliable sources. Webmd, CDC, etc. That information will be much better than what you will get from many of us here.

Okay, I will add something, similar to the last poster. Wipe away, but if you hand touches something bad, and that hand goes in/near your mouth, your chances will go up.

Remember that most passengers will be flying in to the cruise port. Airlines are worse than the cruise ship with spread of Noro. With the recycled air and lack of cleaning the seats and tray tables, :eek: I know that's where I got it !!!

Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands and try not to touch the banisters and elevator buttons. You can't totally avoid it but if you do the basics it sure helps a lot! :D

As mentioned above, cruise ships sail pretty much full year around. No less in the Winter months. As for Nora, again as mentioned above, there is no full proof way to keep yourself from getting it. Washing of course is the best.

Some people go all out and try to protect themselves from everything. I have seen mention of people placing the remote control to the tv in a zip lock bag as they are hard to clean. If you do a search of Noro in the search options you will more than likely find a few other ideas to reduce the risk.

Most people do not realize that they have probably had Noro many times in their lives but most often from schools, young children etc. Any place where a lot of people gather or are confined in small area is a breeding ground. If you wish to travel (in any form) it is just a risk you have to take

I hope you realize the more sterile environment you make for yourself such as hand sanitizers, bleach etc etc the more susceptible to things like this you are. If you are never exposed to certain things your body does not build up antibodies to fight it.

This is why many native people were decimated to badly with disease when Europeans brought over new diseases that they were never exposed to.

over sanitizing is worse then anything

I never developed noro from any cruise that I have taken, but I did catch it at work, either from my customers or fellow employees. My husband, who is a retired school teacher, caught it from the kids.

It is more likely that you can contract noro from sources, other than cruise ships. People who get it from land based sources, should stay home until they are recovered.

Those who come down with it on cruise ships, should report their illness, and remain in their cabin until the illness passes. Many won't because they don't want to miss out on the cruise that they paid dearly for.

We were on the Explorer of the Seas, a few weeks after it's major outbreak of Noro. The crew did such a diligent cleaning job, that nobody we know of was ill on our cruise.

NCL seems to have fewer outbreaks than some other lines, so WASH WASH WASH your hands. If you are lucky enough to live near a port and avoid flying, do so. That is a big help in itself.

I had a stem cell transplant in June, 2012. To say I have diminished immunity is truly an understatement. I am given very expensive infusions regularly to keep me going. Anyhow.......I embarked on my first post-transplant cruise, with the sanctioning of my amazing oncologist, on my birthday (11/30/12). That was the first of five cruises my husband and I have taken since the transplant. I am very mindful of keeping my hands away from my face. Washing my hands like we all should be doing....... and staying aware of my vulnerability.

Day before yesterday I got off of a plane that flew from Austin, TX to Newark, NJ. On the other side of the row I was in a really big man sneezed during the entire flight. Talk about vulnerability!

I guess my point is germs are everywhere, not just of cruise ships and you can wipe and disinfect all you want. The reality is that all it takes is a local bartender, fellow cruiser who shakes your hand, or a flight attendant to hand you a drink. Keep you hands away from your face and wash, really wash, regularly. That is what my doctors tell me and I believe them.

Relax and enjoy! Life is too short for minutia!

Gina

You are not at any increased risk of exposure to Noro just because you are on a cruise ship. There was a study which noted that of all cases which were confirmed to be Noro, only 1% or less were cruise ship passengers. The majority of cases were land based and tied to restaurants and other public spaces.

My husband and I both caught Noro while in Las Vegas a few years ago. And after my last cruise I caught something from LGA airport. We'll be driving to our next two ports.

We were in Vegas once when one of the mega hotels on the strip had an outbreak. Signs were posted on the entry doors so that anyone entering was aware. But things like this never make national news. And many travelers catch it at a hotel, get sick at home a couple days later and have no idea where they caught it, or that hundreds of people staying there had been infected. Only the cruise ship outbreaks make the news :rolleyes:

Wash wash wash, but wash smart!

Scrub 20 seconds.....rinse well (water running downwards)..... dry hands with paper towel.......use paper towel to turn faucets off.....and to open door knob.

Noro is everywhere, not limited to cruise ships, and impossible to totally avoid

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think most of the suggested safety precautions you already have heard and there is nothing you can do, other than close yourself in your house to prevent exposure to all kinds of germs. I can't imagine anyone would think twice about cruising based on the month of the year. You are just as likely to get noro virus on an airplane, in the doctors office, in your favorite restaurant or in your hotel room as on a ship. We just hear more about noro and ships than we do other places. It is easier to trace it through the ships than other places.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Agree with all the other suggestions for washing hands.

Other thing to note is that clorox wipes or sanitizers such as purell really won't help as much - if you want to get rid of germs you need something like Zylast which is a medical grade product and will assist in preventing germs. DH and I have a bottle that we take on cruises and apply 2x a day. We also wash, wash, wash our hand and then wash again.

I always use paper towels to open loo doors & if I see someone leaving without washing their hands, I'll call them out on it - no need not to do it, I mean what is so earth shatteringly urgent that you can't stop for a minute to wash your hands!

Just remember that the washy washy does absolutely nothing to help prevent noro.

maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on what they are using for the washy washy - if it is a simple alcohol cleaner then yes you are correct. However there are products that will kill viruses (I carry one), so you need to ask what product the cruise line is using.

Note also that hand washing does not kill viruses, it merely removes them from your hands - so make sure the water from the tap isn't splashing the virus everywhere, you just want enough water flow to flush the soap from your hands.

As has been said you can pick it up just by touching a surface betwen hand washing and eating. So the other way to help avoid it is never to use your hand to put food in your mouth, always use a fork or spoon.

(and yes if there is an outbreak I'm one of the ones you can see using a knife and fork to eat things like bread rolls).