Amtrak, Seattle to Vancouver

sbfanatic

In May 2015 4 couples will be staying in Seattle for a couple days before going to Vancouver for a couple days pre cruise. We would like to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver. Can anyone give us suggestions on what train and what stations we should use? Any information and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

In May 2015 4 couples will be staying in Seattle for a couple days before going to Vancouver for a couple days pre cruise. We would like to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver. Can anyone give us suggestions on what train and what stations we should use? Any information and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

There are two trains /day between Seattle and Vancouver; the rest of the departures are actually buses operated by Amtrak.

As for stations, on the Seattle end you have options, but it really depends where in Seattle you are. this is the current schedule

Seattle 7:20am 6:50pm (King St Station)

Edmonds 7:47am 7:17pm

Everett 8:11am 7:42pm

Stanwood 8:43am 8:14pm

Mount Vernon 9:01am 8:27pm

Bellingham 9:32am 9:00pm

Vancouver, BC 11:50am 11:20pm

Full schedule here

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Schedules.htm

We recently made this exact trip from Seattle to Vancouver, after having done a one-night coastal from Vancouver to Seattle. We were excited as we have always had the car and could never quite make it work until now. :) Anyway, since it was part of my birthday weekend, my husband splurged on Business Class seats on Amtrak. As we found out, this was really helpful because not only do you get priority check-in and boarding, but the BC cars are the first to disembark in Vancouver, thus going through Customs and Immigration first. Trust me, it was worth it. You do not pre-clear in Seattle, you will clear in Vancouver once you arrive at the station.

If you choose to go regular economy class, I suggest you get to the Seattle Amtrak station EARLY. Oh my goodness, the line was horrendous. Plus, you choose your seats as you check-in, and as it turned out, my husband and I couldn't sit together. No big deal - we were across the aisle in single seats - but I would imagine it could be a bummer if you are not sitting next to your partner for the 4-hour journey.

It's a beautiful trip. We chose the early train so we were not arriving into Vancouver at night in the dark. This may factor into your decision.

Have fun. :)

There is only one Amtrak station in each station. Check the Amtrak site:

http://amtrakcascades.com/

Perhaps you're getting confused with the right rail systems in both cities which each have multiple stations?

ooops, just noticed my typo . The first sentence should read:

There is only one Amtrak station in each CITY.

Perhaps you're getting confused with the light rail systems in both cities which have multiple stations.

We recently made this exact trip from Seattle to Vancouver, after having done a one-night coastal from Vancouver to Seattle. We were excited as we have always had the car and could never quite make it work until now. :) Anyway, since it was part of my birthday weekend, my husband splurged on Business Class seats on Amtrak. As we found out, this was really helpful because not only do you get priority check-in and boarding, but the BC cars are the first to disembark in Vancouver, thus going through Customs and Immigration first. Trust me, it was worth it. ......

We used Amtrak last fall to go to Vancouver from Seattle, and also booked Business Class. While I don't recall the fare difference, even though it only takes four hours we also found Business Class is well worth it the additional cost.

ooops, just noticed my typo . The first sentence should read:

There is only one Amtrak station in each CITY.

Perhaps you're getting confused with the light rail systems in both cities which have multiple stations.

The Amtrak reservations site shows two Seattle stations--King Street Station and "Ferry Pier 69." I think the ferry pier is a special designation for package trips that include a transfer to the Victoria Clipper. That's probably about .0001% of their Seattle passengers, and it just confuses all the rest. I wish they'd quit presenting it to everybody like it was an equally-viable alternative!

The station you want is King Street.

The Amtrak reservations site shows two Seattle stations--King Street Station and "Ferry Pier 69." I think the ferry pier is a special designation for package trips that include a transfer to the Victoria Clipper. That's probably about .0001% of their Seattle passengers, and it just confuses all the rest. I wish they'd quit presenting it to everybody like it was an equally-viable alternative!

Wow, how about that ?? very odd. Thx.

Once you arrive in Vancouver, how do you to the port?

From Pacific Central station there are two viable options to Canada Place - cab or Skytrain. If your ship leaves from Ballantyne, cab is your only practical method of transport. Cabs line up outside (go to the front door, step a few feet to the left and join back of the queue) and will be approx. $10-12 (credit cards are accepted, US dollars too but likely at a poor exchange rate with change given in CAN).

Skytrain is ideal for one or two people on a short cruise (i.e. minimal luggage) from Canada Place. The line that passes by Pacific Central was designed with commuters in mind, not travelers, so there are no luggage racks in the carriages. If you can physically carry your own bags and sit with them on your lap then Skytrain is viable for you.

From the front door of Pacific Central station walk across the park toward the very obvious Skytrain station - it's nearly finished a reno and now looks like a big glass & metal tube hanging over the street. Signs show Main Street/Scienceworld Station.

Elevator and escalator are available from the park side now - a One Zone, $2.75pp fare ($1.75 Seniors) can be bought at the machines in the station using any Credit and many Debit cards.

Get on any train heading to Waterfront - if your trip is soon they will be short, 2 carriage 'Train to Main' shuttles while the last stage of the reno is going on. Get off at the end of the line, follow the signs to Canada Place.

Correction in heading-- Quick Shuttle

I am perplexed reading the long wait to get on Cascade mixed with the early departure. I wonder if the bus is a better option. For us, Quick Shuttle leaves from Seattle airport at 930 and arrives at Pan Pacific at 245. We are staying at the Pan before our cruise this Sept 23rd. The train leaves at 720am and arrives in Vancouver at 1145am. We were going to take economy class on the train. But it seems business class might be better. I wanted to save on the extra two hours that would be spent on the bus AND avoid the long wait at the border. BUT it seems there is a long wait into Vancouver going through to customs. Any advice?

I live in WA, about 30 min from Seattle. I am not looking forward to rush hour traffic when catching the bus ....hummm what to do!!

Edited by MoyCoy

Correction in heading-- Quick Shuttle

I am perplexed reading the long wait to get on Cascade mixed with the early departure. I wonder if the bus is a better option. For us, Quick Shuttle leaves from Seattle airport at 930 and arrives at Pan Pacific at 245. We are staying at the Pan before our cruise this Sept 23rd. The train leaves at 720am and arrives in Vancouver at 1145am. We were going to take economy class on the train. But it seems business class might be better. I wanted to save on the extra two hours that would be spent on the bus AND avoid the long wait at the border. BUT it seems there is a long wait into Vancouver going through to customs. Any advice?

I live in WA, about 30 min from Seattle. I am not looking forward to rush hour traffic when catching the bus ....hummm what to do!!

The only reason to show up earlier than required for the train is if you want to snag seats on the water side. Because seats are allocated as you board, first come first served applies.

At Vancouver, one carriage at a time is allowed off - so you don't actually stand around waiting much, but if you are the last of (usually) 9 carriages, expect to wait a good 20minutes or more before being allowed off then a few minutes in line for the immigration & customs staff.

Business Class ensures you will be the first or second carriage unloaded.

They actually *just* changed the schedule - it used to be a 6:50am departure - so you're already getting an extra half hour in bed. Eat breakfast on the train (adequate oatmeal & breakfast sandwich options available for a reasonable price) or get a packed meal to go if your hotel offers it and you can lie in even longer.

Also, if it's convenient you could board the train in Edmonds or Everett instead of Seattle (not sure which direction you are 30 minutes from downtown in!) - much tinier stations, much less hassle getting on, and a later boarding time too!

The only reason to show up earlier than required for the train is if you want to snag seats on the water side. Because seats are allocated as you board, first come first served applies.

At Vancouver, one carriage at a time is allowed off - so you don't actually stand around waiting much, but if you are the last of (usually) 9 carriages, expect to wait a good 20minutes or more before being allowed off then a few minutes in line for the immigration & customs staff.

Business Class ensures you will be the first or second carriage unloaded.

They actually *just* changed the schedule - it used to be a 6:50am departure - so you're already getting an extra half hour in bed. Eat breakfast on the train (adequate oatmeal & breakfast sandwich options available for a reasonable price) or get a packed meal to go if your hotel offers it and you can lie in even longer.

Also, if it's convenient you could board the train in Edmonds or Everett instead of Seattle (not sure which direction you are 30 minutes from downtown in!) - much tinier stations, much less hassle getting on, and a later boarding time too!

We live is Sammamish. Everett did have a train leaving at 811, bit indeed it will take more time to get to that station when compared to Seattle.

We live is Sammamish. Everett did have a train leaving at 811, bit indeed it will take more time to get to that station when compared to Seattle.

Yes, Seattle's King Street Station is closer for you, but bear in mind that if you are going to leave your car, parking is expensive and the station itself does not have any parking. You have park in a commercial garage or lot in the area that allows long term parking (I think the Union Station complex's garage across 4th Ave S allows long term parking for Amtrak, but don't know the procedure and won't swear to it). You have pay rates which can be upwards of $12-15/day (or more, its been awhile).

I re-read your post and saw you plan to take the bus. In that case, King Street is the right choice. It is right across 4th Ave S from the International District station on the bus tunnel.

Edited by zephyr17