AmaDagio--Paris to Barcelona

mpbmark

Mark....we did our Russian river cruise with AMA and loved it. Although a very old ship, it was spotless and the crew were amazing. I gave this to my husband for his 65th birthday. He was sitting in Red Square on that day. At dinner they brought a bottle of champaign for our table and they had a 3-piece Russian group playing through dinner. They came over and all the staff sang while the group played Happy Birthday. Needless to say I keep telling him I had better get equal for my 65th lol. There were a few things where AMA went above and beyond and it was really appreciated. That is a great river cruise to do!

Mark....we did our Russian river cruise with AMA and loved it. Although a very old ship, it was spotless and the crew were amazing. I gave this to my husband for his 65th birthday. He was sitting in Red Square on that day. At dinner they brought a bottle of champaign for our table and they had a 3-piece Russian group playing through dinner. They came over and all the staff sang while the group played Happy Birthday. Needless to say I keep telling him I had better get equal for my 65th lol. There were a few things where AMA went above and beyond and it was really appreciated. That is a great river cruise to do!

Yes, I think the Russian and Vietnam Nam boats were the property of another cruise line before they were purchased by AMA. That's why they are older and different then the usual AMA boats. We have been to St. Petersburg already so not sure if we will be going back to Russia.

There were a few things where AMA went above and beyond and it was really appreciated. That is a great river cruise to do!

On all of our AMA cruises, the attention to detail was superb and the contrast between the one other line we have cruised with before discovering AMA was significant. Just a very well run cruise line.

On all of our AMA cruises, the attention to detail was superb and the contrast between the one other line we have cruised with before discovering AMA was significant. Just a very well run cruise line.

I will second that. Just a great all around experience. We haven't been on another river cruise line as our travel agent has always pushed AMA. Glad she did as I have no intention of trying another line. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". ;)

• 1 year later...
July 11, 2014. We spent the morning sightseeing and touring Lyon by bus. Lyon is the third largest city in France. It is known as a gastronomical and historical city with a vibrant cultural scene. It is also the birthplace of the cinema due to the invention of cinematography by Auguste and Louis Lumiere.

The historical area of Lyon lies on a peninsula between the Rhône and Saône Rivers and is strategically located between Northern and Southern Europe. It has been preserved historically and the different architectures are apparent everywhere. The city is also famous for its "trompe l'oeil" - painted walls the appear to be 3 dimensional - and there are nearly one hundred frescos on the façades of buildings throughout the city. In the beginning, the frescos were painted on buildings that were to be destroyed, but that is no longer the case. They are found everywhere.

Lyon is also known for its Traboules - passageways. In the early days, there were only 3 streets in the city and it made things difficult and costly for the shopkeepers to obtain goods from the river. Also, inhabitants of the city needed a way to quickly transfer water from the river banks to their homes. The city fathers built narrow passageways to accommodate the demands of the populace and they remain still as a means to quickly move about the city.

Lyon boasts a national silk industry which was established in 1466 by King Louis XI to keep pace with the demands of the French fashion industry. Previously the raw silk was provided by the Italians, but production became too costly. Again, the Traboules allowed the silk workers to quickly get from their workshops to silk merchants. Of course, DW had to purchase one of the silk scarves.

River cruising is quite different from ocean cruising. It is quiet and relaxing and the number of passengers tops out at about 140 people. This makes for a very intimate and friendly experience and you meet and learn about other passengers at a rapid rate. It is a daily test to remember each others' names and we all joke about it. The included tours have been very informative and the buses have been comfortable.

Tonight we and 4 of our new friends had dinner with the hotel manager. An amazing and fascinating gentleman from Lisbon. We were at the table for over 4 hours talking, eating and of course, drinking French wine. We are currently in the Beaujolais district and the wine is terrific. IMHO, much better than what is available stateside. A plus is that it is unlimited at both lunch and dinner so I'm a happy camper. :D

We were supposed to leave Lyon in the evening but river conditions required the company to err on the side of caution and so we are spending another night in Lyon. We will be bused to the tours originally scheduled to depart from Belleville and then leave for Vienne in the afternoon.

Mi Mark:

Was a True Pleasure to had that Wonderful dinner with you and DW!

Looking forward to repeat the experience" in the near future!...

My Best Regards to you & DW,

Luis

Edited by Sailor60

Thanks for your response. Wasn't sure anyone was reading. It was a special birthday celebration helped in great part by Luis, the hotel manager. He arranged for the room to be decorated with balloons on the walls and rose petals in the sharp of a heart on the bed. The rest of the duvet was also decorated with rose petals. We tried to sleep without disturbing them but that was of course impossible. :rolleyes:

Well, it's was just a little something special, for someone so Special!

With Pleasure! :)

Yes it does. She also received a serenade but a little off key. 😱. Fun just the same. Also, her birthday is 7/14 or Bastille Day as it is known in France. Quite a celebration in Tournon.

Doing the AMA wine cruise this July for DH's 65th-a surprise so your posting was helpful. Regarding O chateau- did you do a wine tasting or did you try the restaurant? Pricing if you can recall? Oh and any other suggestions you might have

Thx

Carole

Mi Mark:

Was a True Pleasure to had that Wonderful dinner with you and DW!

Looking forward to repeat the experience" in the near future!...

My Best Regards to you & DW,

Luis

Well, it's was just a little something special, for someone so Special!

With Pleasure! :)

What a wonderful surprise to hear from you. Often wondered how your move went. Where are you now?

You are surrounded. Fran on left and Bunny on right. :D

1090798481_Rivershrink.jpg.1410d15207a24b048310d16e5662738a.jpg

Edited by mpbmark

Doing the AMA wine cruise this July for DH's 65th-a surprise so your posting was helpful. Regarding O chateau- did you do a wine tasting or did you try the restaurant? Pricing if you can recall? Oh and any other suggestions you might have

Thx

Carole

I met Oliver about a dozen years ago. We have kept in contact thru email, so when we returned to Paris, I made arrangements to see him again. Time didn't allow us to take any of his tours, but we did have some small plates and he poured us some wonderful wines in his establishment.

724864488_OChateaushrink.jpg.0bd4f3338faf7c9430ae95f5be9a1c4f.jpg

What a wonderful surprise to hear from you. Often wondered how your move went. Where are you now?

You are surrounded. Fran on left and Bunny on right. :D

Just Great; what a nice pic, Love it!!!

Please send me an email to; luissmarques@yahoo.com.br and I will get back to you...

Stay Safe & Best Regards,

Luis

Edited by Sailor60
correction

• 1 month later...

Great informative review.

I will be doing this river cruise on AmaCello June 2017. I have been on many ocean cruises and this will be my first river cruise.

You took their transfer from airport to hotel. Did you book your air with AMA? I plan to book my own air. Can you remember the cost of the transfer?

How did you get from your hotel to airport?

What kind of entertainment was there in the evening?

I will be doing this river cruise on AmaCello June 2017. I have been on many ocean cruises and this will be my first river cruise.

You took their transfer from airport to hotel. Did you book your air with AMA? I plan to book my own air. Can you remember the cost of the transfer?

Wow, the only thing more bizarre then you finding this old thread is the fact that I'm still subscribed. :eek:

First, we did not use AMA for air. We booked our own using points. We paid for the transfer, but can't recall the price. I'm sure AMA will give you a quote if you ask them or your travel agent.

As I recall, the transfer from airport to hotel came as part of the pre-cruise option we selected. AMA will provide transfers for the pre-cruise to the hotel and then to the ship. If you opt not to take the pre-cruise, then transfers can be obtained thru AMA but I believe only on the actual day of the cruise and not before.

The whole cruise was very informal and the entertainment matched the mood. It was nowhere near the multiple offers available on an ocean cruise. The main lounge hosts all evening activities and they usually consist of a local group brought on board from the port of the day. There wasn't something every night but if available, a singer, a small band or dance group were among the options. We usually lingered over dinner talking with new and/or old friends and then retired for the night. The cruise is pretty intensive with tours every day and a good night's sleep helped to prepare us for the next outing.

We loved our Rhone cruise with AMA in 2014! So far it is our favorite itinerary.

Entertainment in the evenings included a wonderfully entertaining pianist who wore a variety of wigs as he played all types of music (a great evening); a very talented chanteuse (think Edith Piaf); an excellent string trio. There was a staff and crew performance one night that was a highlight!

We booked our own air and used AMA transfers.

Thank you for the helpful information.

I will be doing the 3 day pre cruise and 3 day post cruise stays.

I will ask my TA about the costs for the price of the transfers

Did you share the transfer with others arriving/leaving at the same time?

Did the others on the ship mention how they got from the airport to the hotel - taxi, train?

Thank you for the helpful information.

I will be doing the 3 day pre cruise and 3 day post cruise stays.

I will ask my TA about the costs for the price of the transfers

Did you share the transfer with others arriving/leaving at the same time?

Did the others on the ship mention how they got from the airport to the hotel - taxi, train?

With the pre and post-cruise, you should have transfers, but confirm this your TA.

For pickup, there was a small van and they met us at the airport. We were taken to the hotel with about a dozen others. Some people arrived on their own without the transfers and others arrived during the pre-cruise time. By the time we went to the port, we had a bus full and maybe there was a second bus--can't recall. Same routine at the end of the cruise. Not sure which way you're going but transportation Arles to Barcelona by bus (or Lyon to Paris by train) is included.

On our first AMA cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) we had booked our air and the post-cruise extension -- so we got the transfers at both ends. I didn't know what to expect in Amsterdam and was prepared to give them our luggage and then take the train into Amsterdam to save time while they waited for the bus to fill -- but as soon as we arrived they took off, so it was great. In Zurich they sent an AMA employee with each vehicle to shepherd us through the airport to the right check-in line -- that was also very welcome! For our AMA Rhone cruise (the cruise you are taking) we did our DIY land tours before and after, so we didn't do the AMA transfers -- but our traveling companions did use the AMA transfer from Paris to Lyon and found it very satisfactory [you get a cooking demonstration as the TGV arrives in Lyon]. Since you are taking both pre- and post-cruise extensions, you should definitely use the AMA transfers at both ends.

I know with the pre cruise hotel package, transportation is included by train from Paris to Lyon and post cruise transportation is included from Arkes to Barcelona hotel by coach.

I am talking about transfer/transportation from Paris airport to the hotel and Barcelona hotel to airport? I know if you book an ocean cruise pre or post hotel package the transfers are included.

I am on a group river cruise that has chartered the whole ship. The group has not organized transportation from Paris airport to hotel or Barcelona hotel to airport.

This is a great place to ask questions from people that have taken the cruise.

I know with the pre cruise hotel package, transportation is included by train from Paris to Lyon and post cruise transportation is included from Arkes to Barcelona hotel by coach.

I am talking about transfer/transportation from Paris airport to the hotel and Barcelona hotel to airport? I know if you book an ocean cruise pre or post hotel package the transfers are included.

I am on a group river cruise that has chartered the whole ship. The group has not organized transportation from Paris airport to hotel or Barcelona hotel to airport.

That may change the answer. Whole ship charters will only include whatever the charter company agrees to pay for. So the answers you get from regular AMA cruisers may not apply to you.

That may change the answer. Whole ship charters will only include whatever the charter company agrees to pay for. So the answers you get from regular AMA cruisers may not apply to you.

Just a guess but if you purchase a pre cruise, the transportation is included as I stated above. We did not purchase a post cruise and getting to the airport in Barcelona was on us.

I agree however that a group package can be modified by the group so they would be the best source for your questions.

We are booked end of August. We are doing AMA's pre-cruise Paris and post Barcelona. Included is Paris hotel to TGV to Lyon and ship to Barcelona hotel included. However, airport to Paris hotel and Barcelona hotel to airport are not. $30.00 pp each way is what we are paying extra.

$30.00 pp each way is what we are paying extra.

We have done 6 AMA cruises and have another booked.

If you purchase AMA's air and are arriving and departing on exact dates, transfers are included. Airport transfers are not included IME without flights.

We are members of their loyalty program and starting with #3 airport transfers are complimentary. We book our own flights and hotel.

Phabric, if you're at all comfortable with public transportation in Europe, there are decent options in both Paris and Barcelona. We have recent (less than a year ago) experience with this in both cities.

In Paris the RER goes from CDG to city center, and that RER ticket will allow you to change to the Metro if needed to get within a few blocks of most hotels. A one-way ticket is about 10 Euros per person.

In Barcelona there is an airport express bus that leaves from Placa Catalunya every 10 minutes or so. It's about 5 or 6 Euros per person one-way. Very convenient, if your hotel is close to that stop...if not, it does make another stop or two in town, along the way.

If you know what hotels you're using, and how convenient they are relative to these modes of transport, it might save you a few Euros. SCHappilyRetired, you could do this too.

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks for this wonderful review! We are planning our first river cruise next year with another couple. AMA looks like it would be a great fit for us. We love wine and France, so what could be better!! I'm so happy I found this thread, there are not a lot of reviews on river cruises! :D

Thanks for this wonderful review! We are planning our first river cruise next year with another couple. AMA looks like it would be a great fit for us. We love wine and France, so what could be better!! I'm so happy I found this thread, there are not a lot of reviews on river cruises! :D

If you are interested, I posted detail reviews of our Rhone cruises with both AMA and Uniworld both in the Review section and also here in forums. Here is the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233779&highlight=ss+catherine

Edited by caviargal