Passport Card

KingBDS

Everyone says that you can't fly back with a passport card. All the times I have traveled with my passport book they only check it when I actually get back to the US. Here is my question. Would they not allow you to get on the plane to the US or When you got here would customs say , no go back, or would you just have to deal with more stuff while they verify who you are when you got back to the US. I know everyone says you can't fly, I just want to see if someone has gone through it or knows the process if I "HAD" to fly back from a cruise?

Ok, so if that is the case and you could not get on the plane. What would you do then. I ask because I have family members who are on a cruise leaving today and they all have cards. I want to be able to give them answers if need be.

You will not be allowed to board the plane. Here is what the State Department says about Passport Cards"

"Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air."

So, land crossings or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. No airline travel.

Ok. I do understand that is what it says. Are you saying that if someone had a passport card, driver license, maybe even a copy of there birth cert and they were sick on a island somewhere, there is absolutely no way for them to get back into the us unless they rent a boat and float back in. I don't believe it.

You contact the local American embassy or consulate to get either a replacement passport (if you had one and it was lost or stolen) or an official document that grants one-time permission to enter the US. Presumably this will take some time as the embassy must verify that are a US citizen. It will be a hassle and all expenses will be yours.

That is very helpful. Thank you. Just wanted to be prepared in case something happens. I wonder if anyone on here has had to go through it or knows a time frame?

The passport card is almost useless because it is the same as just using your birth certificate and picture ID. What is needed is a real passport. Don't waste your money on the card. If you have family members leaving today there is nothing they can do at this point.

Edited by Marie51

The passport card is almost useless because it is the same as just using your birth certificate and picture ID. What is needed is a real passport. Don't waste your money on the card. If you have family members leaving today there is nothing they can do at this point.

Once it is a given that someone missed the ship in Jamaica (for example) and does not have a passport, having a passport card will facilitate the process for obtaining the necessary documents to fly. Obtaining either the passport card or an enhanced drivers license (available in some states) does require proof of citizenship.

There have been experiences posted by those who have needed to obtain travel documents while abroad, but I haven't noticed any lately.

When you are flying to a destination outside the the US, the airline must verify BEFORE YOU BOARD that you have the necessary documents to 1)enter the country you are visiting and 2)have the necessary documents to return to the US.

So, a passport card won't help when flying, except at a TSA checkpoint for your "valid government-issued" ID. If you cruise and you are in a position that you must fly back home, you do need that passport or spend the time finding the nearest US Embassy/Consulate and get emergency documentation to fly home.

The passport card isn't worthless; if you do lots of Caribbean cruising or drive back and forth to Canada or Mexico, it's a decent thing to have. But, the passport is far more useful ;)

As a semi-side bar, I have both the passport book (international air travel) and passport card for everything else. I'm a Sr. citizen who no longer drives, so I don't have a driver's license. My passport card serves as my official gov't ID.

Everyone says that you can't fly back with a passport card. All the times I have traveled with my passport book they only check it when I actually get back to the US. Here is my question. Would they not allow you to get on the plane to the US or When you got here would customs say , no go back, or would you just have to deal with more stuff while they verify who you are when you got back to the US. I know everyone says you can't fly, I just want to see if someone has gone through it or knows the process if I "HAD" to fly back from a cruise?

I am surprised that you have ever been allowed to BOARD a plane to the US without showing your passport. No airline wants to be responsible for flying you back to wherever if they bring you in and you are refused entry. I have flown in to the US many times, and the airline check in in London, Rome, Athens, Paris, Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, etc. has ALWAYS required showing my passport.

If you lack the necessary documentation, you will need to get it from consulate or embassy.

You would not be allowed to board the plane without a passport booklet.

When you have flown with your passport, you have used it as ID probably to check in at the airport.

Ok, so if that is the case and you could not get on the plane. What would you do then. I ask because I have family members who are on a cruise leaving today and they all have cards. I want to be able to give them answers if need be.

The person would have to go to a US embassy or consulate, apply for a passport, and wait for it to be issued. In most cases it takes several days to a week or two. Of course, they would be responsible for the passport fees, hotels, meals, etc.

Then here is my question. You're in Jamaica and the ship is gone. What do you do now?

If you miss the ship the ship security will remove your passport and charge cards from your in-room safe and leave them with the Port Shipping Agent. If there is are no passports to be found then you would need to go the American Embassy to arrange documents to get back. Embassy's only work mon-friday. Expect to be on the island 3 days if you have a passport on file or 5-7 days if they need to issue you a new one. I know from experience, my sister in laws brother was stuck in Kingston for 6 days when he missed the ship 3 years ago. Happy cruising

If you miss the ship the ship security will remove your passport and charge cards from your in-room safe and leave them with the Port Shipping Agent. If there is are no passports to be found then you would need to go the American Embassy to arrange documents to get back. Embassy's only work mon-friday. Expect to be on the island 3 days if you have a passport on file or 5-7 days if they need to issue you a new one. I know from experience, my sister in laws brother was stuck in Kingston for 6 days when he missed the ship 3 years ago. Happy cruising

Bottom line - Missing the ship can be a very costly mistake.

I wonder if anyone on here has had to go through it or knows a time frame?
As mentioned above, a few days if citizenship proof is in hand, about a week (but can be twice that) if citizenship documentation is needed, as little as a few hours if it involves a life or death situation and a travel letter is warranted. A short term passport is issued by the consular agent in most cases, which costs the same as getting a passport through the standard channels.

As mentioned above, a few days if citizenship proof is in hand, about a week (but can be twice that) if citizenship documentation is needed, as little as a few hours if it involves a life or death situation and a travel letter is warranted. A short term passport is issued by the consular agent in most cases, which costs the same as getting a passport through the standard channels.

Even if it involves a "life or death situation" the emergency travel documentation will only be issued if you can prove your citizenship - I doubt any government agency anywhere can get anything done in a few hours. You would still face a virtually certain overnight stay.

As a semi-side bar, I have both the passport book (international air travel) and passport card for everything else. I'm a Sr. citizen who no longer drives, so I don't have a driver's license. My passport card serves as my official gov't ID.

You don't need a passport card for ID. Instead of a DL you can get an ID card at a DMV - it's free for senior citizens, and looks the same as DL.

You don't need a passport card for ID. Instead of a DL you can get an ID card at a DMV - it's free for senior citizens, and looks the same as DL.

Yes, I'm aware of the CA ID, but it is only valid for 5 years, as is a driver's license, and the passport card is good for 10; plus the PP card looks a lot more exotic than an ID.

The passport card is almost useless because it is the same as just using your birth certificate and picture ID. What is needed is a real passport. Don't waste your money on the card.

The passport card can make it faster to get a passport book issued, since you are already in the system and your birth certificate has been vetted. This can be of value if there is something unusual about the BC. If you have a passport card, you don't need any other ID to get a passport.

Also, if you elect to travel with just a BC and photo ID, it can help to have the "long form" BC listing parents names, since this is what will be needed to get a passport.

Edited by dwjoe

Yes, I'm aware of the CA ID, but it is only valid for 5 years, as is a driver's license, and the passport card is good for 10; plus the PP card looks a lot more exotic than an ID.

Also, the passport card doesn't list your address, so I prefer it for privacy purposes vs a DL. You also don't need to update your address when you move.