Suite Luggage Drop off at Cape Liberty

The reason I asked I was curious as the e mail I received from the Explorer concierge noted this in a different color type in my email

So I thought this was interesting since I know the port can be a nightmare at times to get in and out of to drop off luggage.

From the email:

Please be advised of our Top Suites Special Drop off Luggage area for your convenience. There will be a sign that reads:

RS OS GS RFS

CONCIERGE PROGRAM

Kindly look for this area, or make yourself known to our Pier Staff, this way you'll be properly directed to the VIP security entrance and there

will be dedicated Staff welcoming our dear Suite Guests.

Edited by Tony O

No, there's not. Nor do suites get special luggage service there. We've only had JS and GS on Explorer and everyone drops their luggage at the same spots. They direct incoming traffic as it reaches the tent into vacant spaces and then luggage is just grabbed and tossed onto the carriers as it comes in.

On top of that I've never seen it at ANY port we've cruised from.

Edited by BND

Is there a certain area where passengers with full suites booked drop off their luggage at Cape Liberty ?

Yes, there was an area in January and March that had a sign for GS and above and Pinnacles to drop off luggage, but I did not see that sign in May. There is also a special entrance/door to go into as you go through security.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Yes, there was an area in January and March that had a sign for GS and above and Pinnacles to drop off luggage, but I did not see that sign in May. There is also a special entrance/door to go into as you go through security.

The check-in area for suites and higher status has always been there on the left side after you go through security. They start loading the buses from that area before the rest of the terminal (after weddings and wheelchairs).

Where was the luggage dropoff? That area is such chaos with arriving and departing passengers.

Edited by BND

The check-in area for suites and higher status has always been there on the left side after you go through security. They start loading the buses from that area before the rest of the terminal (after weddings and wheelchairs).

Where was the luggage dropoff? That area is such chaos with arriving and departing passengers.

I am well aware of the check-in area for suites, not talking about that area in the terminal. I am talking about an area outside that had a free standing sign for luggage drop off for GS and above and was about 100 feet before the regular luggage drop off. As I indicated I did not see that free standing luggage drop off sign in May. Believe me, there was a special drop off area for suites as our friends used it and we used it with them this year. There is also a special door to enter the terminal before you go through the security line for suite guests and that has always been there.

It is right after where they load the buses and before the regular luggage drop off.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

I am flying into Newark the morning of our cruise next month. Having never been

to that port, I am guessing we are in for quite the traffic jams as we arrive in our

taxi later that morning?

I'd advise one of the recommended car services. Check the East Coast Departures board.

Bob, would that be better than hiring a taxi?

Carol (138east) on the departures board is the best to answer that. Someone told me that with a taxi, you pay for waiting time, and sometimes tolls. With a car service, you pay the stated price, plus tip.

Carol (138east) on the departures board is the best to answer that. Someone told me that with a taxi, you pay for waiting time, and sometimes tolls. With a car service, you pay the stated price, plus tip.

Thanks! I will check into that. I guess I just assumed, since the airport is

only a few miles away from the port, that it would be the logical thing just

to grab a taxi.

Interesting what they could throw in on you during that supposedly short trip

to make it seem much longer, eh? :eek:

Yup, Port Canaveral sure does look better all the time! ;) :D

Thanks! I will check into that. I guess I just assumed, since the airport is

only a few miles away from the port, that it would be the logical thing just

to grab a taxi.

Interesting what they could throw in on you during that supposedly short trip

to make it seem much longer, eh? :eek:

Yup, Port Canaveral sure does look better all the time! ;) :D

It does look like a short distance, but there can also be loads of traffic, and there is at least one bridge to cross. Once we went there was some construction on the bridge and it took 45 minutes (same as from MCO to PC:)) to get from our hotel near the airport to the port.

Thanks again, Bob.

I just read through 3 pages of the east coast departures boards. It is was a bit

of a toss up on taxi versus shuttle or car service.

Probably will take a taxi to the port, then one of the shuttles back to the airport

on our return, since the shuttles apparently don't run from airport to port (just returns

to the airport).

Interesting reading for sure!

I've never taken a taxi from the airport to Cape Liberty, but here's how I would approach it. You should be able to get a flat rate quote from a taxi driver. Toll is $1.65 from exit 14 and $3.00 from exit 13A to exit 14A. IMO they should not be taking you via the truck route which you pick up from Exit 15E and they should not be going south to Exit 13A to go back north to Exit 14. Add 20% for tip. Fare should be in the $50-60 range.

Spend a few minutes looking at a map of the area so you can sound like you know what you're talking about.

Ask the driver if he has ever been to Cape Liberty. Have the printed directions from Exit 14 A with you.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

I've never taken a taxi from the airport to Cape Liberty, but here's how I would approach it. You should be able to get a flat rate quote from a taxi driver. Toll is $1.65 from exit 14 and $3.00 from exit 13A to exit 14A. IMO they should not be taking you via the truck route which you pick up from Exit 15E and they should not be going south to Exit 13A to go back north to Exit 14. Add 20% for tip. Fare should be in the $50-60 range.

Spend a few minutes looking at a map of the area so you can sound like you know what you're talking about.

Ask the driver if he has ever been to Cape Liberty. Have the printed directions from Exit 14 A with you.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

That is great information, thanks so much Carol! :)