Hawaii Cruise

yankees8348

Hey All,

So I'm going on a cruise soon and I had a few questions. I'm going on a cruise from California to Hawaii. I have never been there but a friend told me when you get off of a flight to Hawaii you have to go through customs, and they are pretty thorough and it takes a long time. If you go on a cruise there from California is it the same situation? What kind of customs check do you have to go through either initially getting on the cruise, or once you get into the Hawaiian port? I'm asking because I want to know what to expect, and I'm hoping it doesn't eat too much into my vacation time. Thank you for your replies in advance.

You said ykou are cruising from CA to HI

and you are then asking about customs

when you get off your flight.

Which is it?? Cruise or Flight??

About customs-Do you go through customs

when entering Arizona from California??

Hawaii is the 50th state in the union.

NO CUSTOMS

Jack

Its a cruise. I was bringing up my friends experience on the flight because, I know Hawaii is a part of the united states, but he had to go through customs because they have very strict laws for what you can and can't bring there. I was trying to find out if you have to go through such rigorous and time consuming checks as you do when you fly to Hawaii.

It sounds like your friend's advice may have been confusing since they used the term over seas. Yes you will have to travel by ship over the ocean to the 49th State which is officially the United States of America. Customs officials will be there to see that you have the proper paper work when boarding the ship which means a birth certificate and a driver's license as a minimum. LAX won't be a big deal. You will waste most of your time getting from the Airport to the Port of Los Angeles. As for wasted time getting off of the ship in Hawaii it all depends on the captain for he is the one that is responsible to your safety. That should not be a problem. Just make sure you have an ID before getting back on the ship.

I did a Hawaii cruise last November out of California and will be planning another this year. You should have a really nice trip considering you have done your homework. Tim

Vivian02 thanks for the reply very helpful. Also can you tell me about your experience getting from the Airport to the the Port Of Los Angeles? This is actually my first cruise so I don't know what to expect. What is it like going through security? How long does it take? I'm a bit of a nervous traveler, and get anxiety and would really like to know what to expect. What is the whole process entail? Do they search you and your stuff, or do they just have people with dogs sniffing to make sure no illegal things are going on? Does it take an hour, half hour, 2 hours? Do you go through any sort of check once getting into Hawaii? Coming home?

Vivian02 thanks for the reply very helpful. Also can you tell me about your experience getting from the Airport to the the Port Of Los Angeles? This is actually my first cruise so I don't know what to expect. What is it like going through security? How long does it take? I'm a bit of a nervous traveler, and get anxiety and would really like to know what to expect. What is the whole process entail? Do they search you and your stuff, or do they just have people with dogs sniffing to make sure no illegal things are going on? Does it take an hour, half hour, 2 hours? Do you go through any sort of check once getting into Hawaii? Coming home?

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you flying from California to Hawaii and then taking a cruise from Hawaii back to California? Because that's not possible.

Its a cruise. I was bringing up my friends experience on the flight because, I know Hawaii is a part of the united states, but he had to go through customs because they have very strict laws for what you can and can't bring there. I was trying to find out if you have to go through such rigorous and time consuming checks as you do when you fly to Hawaii.

its more for agriculture and animal items and not the usual items like alohol and cigarettes. but yes from any entry port( air or sea) to Hawai'i you will go through it. how long it takes is anyone's guess. I have had it take ten minutes, and I have had it take over an hour.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Once you get to the pier in LA, you will have to check your larger suitcases with the porters who will make certain that they get on the ship. When you enter the cruise terminal you will go through security just like you do at the airport. Then you will proceed to check-in where you will fill out a brief questionnaire about being sick in the previous 48 hours. You will get your ID card (Sign and Sail card on some ships) and wait for your number to be called unless you are on a ship where they tell you what time to report to the ship.

Once on the ship you can do whatever you want -- have lunch -- explore. And when your luggage arrives - unpack.

Once you get to the Islands, all you have to do is wait for the ship to be cleared by the local authorities and then you can leave the ship and do whatever you want. If you are on a ship's excursion, your tickets will tell you what time and where to report.

Each time you return to the ship in all the islands, you will have to go through security and all purses and packages, etc. also have to be screened.

After your ship leaves the islands it will make a stop at a foreign port as required. Some ships select an island where no one gets off and others select a place where you can get off for a couple of hours -- like Ensenada.

Once back in LA you will have to go through immigration and customs once you leave the ship. This is the only time you may encounter long lines.

We sail with Princess and purchase their transportation from airport to ship and back. They meet us at the baggage claim area, take our luggage and it just shows up at our cabin. If you are early the day of sailing, you will be taken to a place for continental breakfast and be able to fill out check-in stuff, receive a tag. When you head for the ship, you just show your tag and go aboard. No fuss, no muss. I think that LA is the only place that Princess provides this service. Harry

Nobody has asked if the OP is a US citizen, or are they coming to get on the ship from, say Canada?

Second, does their cruise have a stop in Ensenada coming or going to Hawaii. This will affect any Immigration or Customs requirements.

I thought going through cruise security was a much longer and more drawn out process than what you all are telling me, this is great. Has anyone had any real problems ever? Being double checked or anything? Like I said new to cruises and really don't know how any of it works.

Pull up US customs on the Search Cruise Critic , top right of this page. Lots of restrictions, both for plane and ship. Many things need to go in checked bags only. Look on your cruiseline site also.

Hey All,

So I'm going on a cruise soon and I had a few questions. I'm going on a cruise from California to Hawaii. I have never been there but a friend told me when you get off of a flight to Hawaii you have to go through customs, and they are pretty thorough and it takes a long time.....

I'm sorry but your friend is incorrect or confused. You do NOT go through customs or any other inspections when landing in Hawaii after a flight from California - we've done this route at least twice a year for the last 25 years and it just does not happen. What does happen is that you will be given an agricultural questionnaire while on the flight, one per family. It must be filled out and turned in before leaving the flight. It takes no more than 5 minutes to fill out. When you land, you simply pick up your bags in baggage claim and go on your way. Even if you declared that you were carrying fruit or plants, you'd be long gone from the airport by the time anyone read the form. It's possible that someone might follow up and attempt to contact you where you're staying, but I've never heard of it happening.

On a flight from Hawaii to the mainland, your bags, both checked and carry-on, go through a screening done by agricultural inspectors. They simply run the bags through a scanner, looking for different items than the security scanner does. Carry-on bags are actually screened twice, once by TSA and once by agricultural personnel; at some airports, there's a sign at the entry to the agricultural screen machine saying "Yes, you really do have to do this again!". It's another line to stand in but the actual screening takes less than a minute unless they find something suspicious and must search your bag.

Security screening to embark the ship, in each port.

They are looking for weapons, drugs, alcohol.

Agriculture inspection when entering California.

They are looking for organics which may be carrying agricultural pests.

Customs inspection when entering the United States, from a foreign country. This would include a cruise from California to Hawaii, because the ship stops in Mexico or Canada before returning to the US. You have to go through, even if you didn't get off the ship in the foreign country.

They are looking for prohibited persons (terrorists), anyone with an open criminal warrant, weapons, dangerous materials, drugs, large amounts of currency, agricultural goods, and trade goods which are prohibited (ivory, certain corals, etc.) or on which duty (import tax) has not been paid.