"I know this is a stupid question but" - Unlimited Soda & More Package

I know many new Princess cruisers often start their message with " I know this is a stupid question but".....so, I know this is a stupid question but, what is a "Float" as included in the Unlimited Soda & More Package? With my very grateful thanks (please be kind)!

No stupid questions here! :) A float is usually 2 scoops of ice cream topped with a soda of some sort. Quite often vanilla ice cream with root beer for example.

On our last Princess cruise we got confused with the difference between milk shake and malt shake they both looked the same and tasted the same so dont know what the difference is in making them. :)

I just googled and found this from a chowhound poster:

I worked at a Baskin Robbins for awhile as a teen. In my area (NYC) a milk shake is milk and ice cream run through a mixer. Consistency is as thick as possible but still able to drink through a straw. A malt / malted is a milk shake with malt powder or syrup added. An ice cream soda is a scoop of ice cream in a tall glass that was then filled with soda, preferably root beer. And an egg cream is a little milk, some chocolate or vanilla syrup and then filled with seltzer.

Thank you for your rapid response - I have never heard of such a combination in the UK before, but certainly sounds interesting and worth a try.

With grateful thanks, I have learnt something today :)

You are very welcome John! :)

On our last Princess cruise we got confused with the difference between milk shake and malt shake they both looked the same and tasted the same so dont know what the difference is in making them. :)

A milk shake is milk and ice cream.

A malted milk shake adds malt powder.

I feel this is going to be a follow-up question that is even more stupid than my first. Do you eat it (i.e. with a spoon) or drink it?

I so hope I am not embarrassing myself!

Both! :D If you let it sit long enough a straw will do, but it won't taste as good! ;)

I feel this is going to be a follow-up question that is even more stupid than my first. Do you eat it (i.e. with a spoon) or drink it?

I so hope I am not embarrassing myself!

Yes both, the glass filled maybe 3/4 full then add a scoop or 2 of ice cream. Root beer is the best. :D

To me, an ice cream soda is carbonated water, milk and chocolate syrup mixed up with a scoop or two of ice cream added on top. What the Baskin Robbins employee described was what we call a float.

Edited by gooch47

We are going on Emerald in September so hopefully will try a few and be a bit more adventurous. We had ultimate soda and more package last time and stuck to safe cola, fruit juice and milk shakes and mocktails and was extremely good value.

I always purchase the soda package and order "smoothies" from the bar. It's orange juice/pineapple juice/strawberries and a banana-they blend it up and yummie! You can ask for more strawberries and less orange juice and it becomes sweeter! So refreshing and good for you too!

I always purchase the soda package and order "smoothies" from the bar. It's orange juice/pineapple juice/strawberries and a banana-they blend it up and yummie! You can ask for more strawberries and less orange juice and it becomes sweeter! So refreshing and good for you too!

Is it just called a smoothie?

A smoothie or a cooler. There are four or five different non-alcoholic drinks on the bar menus. My favorite is the Key West Cooler. YUM!

Yes, I know about those ones, I think there was 6 or 7 on the Emerald this year. But I haven't read about just being able to order a "smoothie". :)

Yes, I know about those ones, I think there was 6 or 7 on the Emerald this year. But I haven't read about just being able to order a "smoothie". :)

I don't think it's listed. Just show your sticker on your card and tell the server what you want. They're more than happy to make you a drink to order. There is a drink on their "drink menu" listed as a "cooler"......add or subtract a fruit or fruit juice, make it to suit your palate and waahlah.....You have what I would call a "smoothie!" I have NEVER been refused my specialty drink order, with my sticker.

After a few days they get to know you and know exactly what you like! I always tip the bartender or the server a few extra dollars for the wonderful service!

I got the Unlimited Soda and More (previously called the Ultimate Kid's Package) on our last cruise. The bartender will make you any version of non-alcoholic drink you ask for. Ask for a No-quilla Sunrise. It's not "on the menu" but they will make it. I found the Nojito pretty good but some bartenders used way too much mint. You can always order a Virgin Screwdriver for fun and they'll just pour you some orange juice. The Virgin Bloody Mary was very tasty. I actually like tonic and lime so I get that as well.

I don't think I'll order that package again though as I tended to drink a bunch of very tasty things that were NOT low calorie.

Malted milk is added to a malt shake. It is a powder that adds a distinct flavor, hard to describe.

Love malts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Malted milk is added to a malt shake. It is a powder that adds a distinct flavor, hard to describe.

Love malts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The hard part is getting enough malt added. I absolutely love a good malted shake. There used to be a little roadside place that looked horrible but had great food and the very best malts ever. Truckers always stopped there and so did I. (They also had deep fried mushrooms to die for.) The highway was re-routed and completely passed the place by and now it's gone. I miss that place...

We're lucky enough that our local market sells Carnation Malted Milk in both chocolate and vanilla flavors. Ball park favorite was that container of Carnation malted chocolate ice cream.

Onboard we have soft serve put into a drinking cup then add soda (A&W root beer or Sunkist orange) that we've brought from home. Definitely need a spoon and straw.