Is expensive air travel changing your cruise plans?

kelmac

I would like to see this most one way flights to Europe are more expensive than round trips cheapest I found was 967 going through Turkey other than that 2600.00 dollars tell us how.

Use consolidators, we have been paying under $600 to Venice the last few trips with a stop in London for our TA's.

This year I paid under that for Paris and the same exact flight directly booked on the airline (delta) is over $2400 ow :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

It is odd to you, but it is comfort to me.

If you want the comfort you pay for it. :)

We all want to fly first class for coach fare ;)

Choices, choices, choices

Edited by Julia’s Journey’s

Flying business class as opposed to coach, and to Southampton as opposed to LHR is OBVIOUSLY going to be ridiculously expensive.

Skipping the opportunity to go on a thoroughly enjoyable and incredibly scenic cruise because you choose not to put up with several hours of minor discomfort in coach, and a short ground transfer, for a savings of several thousand dollars, seems a bit odd to me.

But then, I don't have the option.

Like. ;)

I guess I am one of the luckiest cruiser in the world. I live in south Florida and am 20 some miles north of Port Everglades and 45 miles north of Miami. In addition, one of my daughters is a flight attendant for a major airline so I fly international fairly cheap.

Fairly cheap? or dirt cheap? If there's a seat, of course.;)

Delta wants about $700 pp round trip Minneapolis to Fort Lauderdale or Miami in January. It's so ridiculous!

Gee, seems like a pretty good deal to me. In the middle of winter flying to a warm destination, that's how airlines stay in business. I live 1500 miles or so from FLL. If I were to drive, I'm sure it would cost the better part of $1000 plus the wear and tear on my car. It would be worth it to fly for another $400. Right now a round trip to SW Florida, pretty much the same distance as FLL for me, is costing $635. Now, that's what I call ridiculous.:D

Flying business class as opposed to coach, and to Southampton as opposed to LHR is OBVIOUSLY going to be ridiculously expensive.

Skipping the opportunity to go on a thoroughly enjoyable and incredibly scenic cruise because you choose not to put up with several hours of minor discomfort in coach, and a short ground transfer, for a savings of several thousand dollars, seems a bit odd to me.

But then, I don't have the option.

Since I've already done the Norway cruise once, on Crystal, I can wait until I find an airfare that I'm willing to pay for the comfort I enjoy.

I really want to take a Norway cruise, but not going to pay $3,500 to $5,000 on airfare. I'll stick to cruises and vacations in the US, Canada and Caribbean and hope that airfares will go down at some point in time.

Have you checked Norwegian air? They fly from a few plAces in the U.S. and are considerably cheaper. It is a low budget airline but from LAX to Oslo and Copenhagen they were offering fairs under $1000.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Have you checked Norwegian air? They fly from a few plAces in the U.S. and are considerably cheaper. It is a low budget airline but from LAX to Oslo and Copenhagen they were offering fairs under $1000.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Didn't know there was a Norwegian air, but will give them a look. At least if they do the announcements in Norwegian, I'll understand few words (only the ones my dad taught me) LOL. Thanks.

Yes, even the most experienced of us is finding exasperating

I found one way jet blue fll to lax for 150$ in November. everybody else 350+

and blue was non stop too!

and 11:30 versus mid late afternoon.

matrix.itasoftware.com beats all the other flight search techniques to a pulp

everyone who now will use it, thank me ....

its a google product...very very good for air searches.

Unfortunately, fares from the 505 seem to have gone up, up, up, and with Southwest, unless you book really early (and/or catch one of their sales which just ended) and IME their fares are becoming increasingly less competitive. I also teach and face similar date constraints. For my first cruise out of FLL, I ended up booking what I considered a fairly pricey fare on SW during Spring Break in 2013. I then hovered and rebooked as fares dropped. I did this twice and reduced the fare by nearly half. Applied the credit towards other travel.

I wonder if it would make sense to try to book into an alternative regional airport within a few hours' drive of FLL and do a point-to-point car rental? Or see what fares out of Phoenix are like and fly from there? This might not be worth the hassle and/or added expense but it might be worth investigating. Good luck!

Yes, even the most experienced of us is finding exasperating

I found one way jet blue fll to lax for 150$ in November. everybody else 350+

and blue was non stop too!

and 11:30 versus mid late afternoon.

matrix.itasoftware.com beats all the other flight search techniques to a pulp

everyone who now will use it, thank me ....

its a google product...very very good for air searches.

I wonder if it would make sense to try to book into an alternative regional airport within a few hours' drive of FLL and do a point-to-point car rental? Or see what fares out of Phoenix are like and fly from there? This might not be worth the hassle and/or added expense but it might be worth investigating. Good luck!

See post #36 of this thread!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43440463&postcount=36

She got there before me....I second her recommendation. Does not cover every airline but most. Also very helpful in checking enormous combinations

of time, airport, and airline combinations. Its a mathematic Rubik's cube.

• 3 weeks later...

I always book air early, and for our Reflection cruises out of Spokane it was about $550 today, that is coach, and it seems it has remained that. We booked business class, and that has not changed either. It might be your particular market.

Our closest airport is Palm Springs CA. $$$ to go anywhere. I sure wish X had more on the west coast. cruising on Princess West Coast cruise in Oct. as X does not offer this cruise anymore. Takes us 12 hours to get to Florida as there are no nonstop. Can be in Europe in the same time. We have cruised to Alaska and Hawaii several times, would be nice to have other choices.

To the OP, i just got a reasonable fare and itinerary to FLL from ABQ for March 2015. Might be worth checking fares on American's website. Hope this helps.

Just checked American, and they want $930 R/T ABQ -- FLL PP, out March 27 and return April 5.

We are going to wait for Southwest to open their schedule on Aug 25th. ABQ to HOU looks like a better option.

We need Celebrity to bring a ship back to Galveston. :)

Kel

I am Canadian and live in a border city so we are fortunate enough to be able to fly out of Buffalo. Now, if you want to see expensive air fares - you should check out the Toronto Airport!!!! Buffalo has daily non-stop flights with Jet Blue and SW and the prices are quite low. Our problem is the waiting at the airport and all the security checks and again waiting. So this year, we thought we will drive to Florida for our Southern Caribbean cruise. Being retired, we can take our time and will stop overnight where ever we feel, and we are looking forward to doing that. With all the scary things happening with terrorism, I certainly understand, and am glad, that they are thorough, but it does take the fun out of travelling. We are looking forward to the drive.

Another Canadian here... 100% agree with RUTHK's post.

Sticker shock is Canadian airfare for sure... Deregulation in the US has served you guys well... Industry is structured totally different here.

It seems to me that Airfare has certainly gone up this year worldwide (as have Hotels).

We in recent years have used our Loyalty Points (Canada's Airmiiles... The blue card) to take away some of the pain... Same with Hotels we've become very brand loyal because of perks given

And as Canadians who are used to long drives to get places... We are also not beyond taking a road trip, be it to get Tos cruise port to catch a ship... Or just as another way to vacation.

Cheers!

Depart ABQ-HOU-FLL Wanna Get Away

Cost = $799.50

This is the cost to fly to FLL at Thanksgiving. We are doing ABQ to FLL for Xmas, and it's close to this as well.

Yes, to fly at Thanksgiving and at Christmas are THE two most expensive times of the year. This is nothing new, those have been THE two most expensive weeks of the year to fly for years - decades even.

We're flying DAL - FLL on SWA the week BEFORE Thanksgiving for our cruise and purchased TWO round-trip tickets in advance for less than $600.

Hi Illyria and justcrusn!

Southwest is our airline of choice! We both have their SWA credit cards and rack up the miles really fast. Our problem is the dates that we must cruise -- Thanksgiving, Xmas, Springbreak and summer months. We get great deals at times, but not during the school year:

Depart ABQ-HOU-FLL Wanna Get Away

Cost = $799.50

This is the cost to fly to FLL at Thanksgiving. We are doing ABQ to FLL for Xmas, and it's close to this as well.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Just booked Southwest roundtrip from Phoenix to Ft. Lauderdale for $800. That is for two people!

Another Canadian here... 100% agree with RUTHK's post.

Sticker shock is Canadian airfare for sure... Deregulation in the US has served you guys well... Industry is structured totally different here.

It seems to me that Airfare has certainly gone up this year worldwide (as have Hotels).

We in recent years have used our Loyalty Points (Canada's Airmiiles... The blue card) to take away some of the pain... Same with Hotels we've become very brand loyal because of perks given

And as Canadians who are used to long drives to get places... We are also not beyond taking a road trip, be it to get Tos cruise port to catch a ship... Or just as another way to vacation.

Cheers!

I have found , more direct flights and cheaper out of Toronto then Buffalo, one way to Rome $420 , with only one connect, nothing out of Buffalo could touch that

I will stick with Person