French Polynesia

kimanjo

I have read past comments about going to FP on Oceania and other ships.

I think others have suggested Paul Gauguin, as a really nice way to see FP. I see Wind Star and Silversea also go.

Looking for small(er) ship experience. And "best" time of year?? Is there one? We dont mind the hot weather at all. DH works, but can take the time off anytime of the year.

Any and all thoughts I would love to hear.

(also, he loved the country club casual on "O". Would it be similar on all the lines I listed?

Thanks!

July and August have the calmest weather and less humidity, but I believe that O's Marina will be cruising somewhere else during those months.

Check out the ports forum Pacific Islands on cc. Lots of information there.

Edited by Floridiana

Have done both PG & Marina in French Polynesia. I would recommend PG for several reasons:

-Marina only goes during the rainy season (Jan-March).

-PG is in the area almost year-around. Thus "knows" the islands much better.

-With a smaller ship, PG can go places and dock where Marina can't. PG will anchor in some coves that are right out of Nat. Geo.

I think both ships, even though much different, are both good in terms of staff, food, etc. Obviously with Marina much larger, there are several things PG can't offer: Cooking classes, artist loft, more, larger pools, etc. But the other side of the coin is that PG has considerably fewer passengers.

Have done both PG & Marina in French Polynesia. I would recommend PG for several reasons:

-Marina only goes during the rainy season (Jan-March).

-PG is in the area almost year-around. Thus "knows" the islands much better.

-With a smaller ship, PG can go places and dock where Marina can't. PG will anchor in some coves that are right out of Nat. Geo.

I think both ships, even though much different, are both good in terms of staff, food, etc. Obviously with Marina much larger, there are several things PG can't offer: Cooking classes, artist loft, more, larger pools, etc. But the other side of the coin is that PG has considerably fewer passengers.

We don't really partake in the "activities", so we're ok there. Have never been to a cooking class, or trivia or much else. We are kind of boring!

Good info you have provided. Thanks so much!

I went on the Tahitian Princess (An R ship like Nautica/Insignia) back when and that ship was comfortable and lovely. We went late June/early July -- also very nice. Just went to Tahiti in Jan and Feb. 2014 and stayed at the IC. With the Intercontinental Ambassador card (paid about $200? for the status) we got upgrade and a free night but best was they allowed you to occupy your room until 4 PM. Most flights of the big planes (read US or Australian) go out late evening or early (1 AM) morning so 11 AM checkouts are really hard. Also check Air Tahiti Nui web site where they have some stopover deals on occasion. We did not use it but our friend did. Love Tahiti and The FP islands.

We cruised from L.A. to Hawaii and French Polynesia on Oceania's Regatta at Christmas 2011. We are doing a similar trip this coming November on Regent Seven Seas Mariner, having enjoyed the itinerary and sea days.

The Regatta cruise was the one wherein Christmas Island was forever deleted from any further port calls!!!

O's Marina and the Paul Gauguin are two different kettle of fish. Marina travels all over the Pacific, is new, very elegant, country club casual, excellent food, ~ 1200 passengers.

Paul Gauguin is smaller, older, was built with a shallow draft specifically for the islands. The emphasis is on casual and on water sports. They have an international crew but a group of local entertainers (female dancers, singers, musicians) is always on board for the local flair.

If you want a ship with a completely local crew, take the freighter Aranui3 which will be replaced by a brand new successor, the Aranui5 sometime in 2015. The Aranui travels to the remote Marquesas Islands north of Tahiti. Remember, it's a bulk freighter with passengers, not a cruise with some freight deliveries. We loved it!

I agree that the worst time of year is January - March, at least that's what I've heard. Been there in April, very hot and humid, and December, ditto. May/June lovely, and less humid. I'll find out about September hopefully in about 7 weeks.

Can't beat the PG, imho, although Windstar is back in FP and is worth a look.

I agree that the worst time of year is January - March, at least that's what I've heard. Been there in April, very hot and humid, and December, ditto. May/June lovely, and less humid. I'll find out about September hopefully in about 7 weeks.

Can't beat the PG, imho, although Windstar is back in FP and is worth a look.

We were there this Feb. on Marina and the weather was great. Not very much rain at all. Ship was wonderful and it did not seem to be very congested on the islands we went to. Would do Marina again. :)

Windstar is also country club casual. The 148-pax Wind Spirit is doing FP routes May-Nov. It's a wonderful experience with the sails, intimate atmosphere, good food.

Another vote for Windstar. It really is the small ship experience. I'd be on the Wind Spirit in FP this August if it wasn't so awkward to get to from the UK. A knee injury has made the long haul flights a no no for this year so I'll be on Riviera in the Med instead. I'll be interested to see how I get on with the 'big ship' experience :). Regatta is the largest ship we've cruised on so far.

The Riviera is my most favorite ship so far. Loved it!

But we are talking about French Polynesia. ;) My Aranui3 trip was the best overall ship experience because of the area in which it delivered freight. Gorgeous islands.

Another vote for Windstar. It really is the small ship experience. I'd be on the Wind Spirit in FP this August if it wasn't so awkward to get to from the UK. A knee injury has made the long haul flights a no no for this year so I'll be on Riviera in the Med instead. I'll be interested to see how I get on with the 'big ship' experience :). Regatta is the largest ship we've cruised on so far.

Just as hard to get there from Florida, but well worth it. Riviera/Marina are wonderful ships and they are pretty small compared to most of the other ships. They do not seem crowded at all and with the many different places to dine and all the other activities the ships are wonderful. Only downside are the shows, which are mostly lousy. But if you are used to going on very small ships it probably does not matter anyway. Have a great time. :):)

If you want a ship with a completely local crew, take the freighter Aranui3 which will be replaced by a brand new successor, the Aranui5 sometime in 2015. The Aranui travels to the remote Marquesas Islands north of Tahiti. Remember, it's a bulk freighter with passengers, not a cruise with some freight deliveries. We loved it!

Sorry, I'm way too spoiled for that. Does it have a spa? Does it have an exercise room? Does it have specialty restaurants? Does it have a decent bar and wine list? :oCan I get a cappuccino at breakfast? You'll never get me there, much less my wife.:eek:

We have not yet repeated a cruise, but the PG is absolutely certain to break that record.

Sorry, I'm way too spoiled for that. Does it have a spa? Does it have an exercise room? Does it have specialty restaurants? Does it have a decent bar and wine list? :oCan I get a cappuccino at breakfast? You'll never get me there, much less my wife.:eek:

We have not yet repeated a cruise, but the PG is absolutely certain to break that record.

Isn't it wonderful that we have so many choices. We need a little more upscale ship when we travel, but it's just us. Good that everyone can do their own thing. I think we are all quite lucky that we can do this, whichever way it is. Happy cruising. :):):)