Chase Sapphire Preferred Improved Travel Benefits

rallydave

What we do is split the trip between our 2 individual Sapphire cards and now we are up to 20K of insurance/trip (as also suggested by Laraine).

Even if you do not do that, the extra insurance you have to buy will be for 10K less - should save you some money :)

We'd like to do the same, as we also have two Sapphire cards. I tried to find out if the coverage will be more than 10K for the same trip if we split the charge, and I wasn't able to get any definite answer from Chase. Have you got any confirmation from Chase or Crawford Insurance that they use for trip cancelation? Please let me know.

Thanks

We'd like to do the same, as we also have two Sapphire cards. I tried to find out if the coverage will be more than 10K for the same trip if we split the charge, and I wasn't able to get any definite answer from Chase. Have you got any confirmation from Chase or Crawford Insurance that they use for trip cancelation? Please let me know.

Thanks

No - I did not call Chase and specifically asked about this. However, I do not see how or why it would not work. The 2 cards are in separate names/accounts and thus each one is an individual card - i.e it is not a second user on the same card. As long as the charges are posted on that card, it will(should) cover the person on that card and the co-traveler.

Their definition of pre-existing condition is a different story.

I have just gotten my Chase Sapphire and DH has United Mileage Plus both from Chase and eligible for Ultimate Rewards and 1:1 points. Has anybody used these for United flights. the 95,000 points for signing up and adding a person plus my outstanding ability to really "charge" on out there I'm hoping will do a big part of tickets to Bali (and return).

Haven't used the points specifically for flights but, have transferred points to my UAL Flight and then booked flights on the UAL sight. The Points simply go into your UAL account and are no different than points earned by actually flying.

1. Take Chase Sapphire points and dump into DH United account. Can I order through Ultimate Rewards for 25% off? Can you get the super saver rate if available on United page or do you have to pay the double amount of points regular award for Ultimate Reward.

Points go from Chase to UAL 1 to 1 so no bonus for points. The 25% bonus is when you use points as dollars for purchasing your flights and will take many more points than getting free points. No restrictions in using points as dollars as you can pay any fare with the points but, takes many more points. As far as getting supersaver or anytime free seats, remember, points are points so you can get whatever flights are available.

2 Oh heck I don't even know what I need to ask. How can I get the best seats (probably Economy Plus but dreaming super saver Business) using United and points from both credit cards.

Don't believe economy plus is available for free using points; only choices are coach or business/first. Have never seen economy plus points availability on the UAL website.

3. Timing for award tickets? Our cruise according to that counter is about 200 days away. I will get a pile more points when I pay that cruise to Bali off at 90 days. Think I can wait to maybe November ( 100 days out and still get award tickets for early Feb. ) Going I have 18 different journeys that can get us to Bali for the cruise on Feb 17. One is really preferred if I can get a long layover and not go with the 1 hour connection. Coming back the 14 hour nonstop is good.

Generally you really need to get your flights as soon as available or quickly thereafter if you want the cheap business seats. Regular points should be available at 100 days out but, supersaver or business are all probably gone right now. Sometimes seats become available closer to the date of the flight but, not not often and usually for destinations with many flights. Don't think your itinerary has a lot of flights so think your chances right now for the lower miles tickets are about zero. You can check availability by trying to book award tickets on the UAL web site and seeing what is currently available. Just because there are 18 routes that will get you to Bali doesn't mean those all are available for award seats. Trying to book right now will show you how many routes available and should also show flights with UAL partners.

4. Redeeming: How do you figure which is in your best interest:rolleyes: cash back for buying the tickets or using points? This is getting past my mathematical abilities not to mention the logic!

Simple, using points is always cheaper if flights are available.

Thanks for the help. Someday I will break into the Ultimate Rewards page but so far going just on the "paid advertisement pages". Share your experiences redeeming rewards.

See above in red answers to your questions. As far as going to the Ultimate Rewards page, you aren't missing much. You need to go to the UAL page right now and check current availability but, think right now you are way too late for the cheap points seats and at 100 days out, chances are probably zilch.

Good luck and next time start checking flights at 330 days out when they first are shown on the airline website. Best chances at that point.

When using CS preferred, 100 points = about $1.25 toward plane fare. I just used about 201,000 points for flights from Charlotte to Athens and Singapore back to Charlotte and paid $137 for the two of us.

When using CS preferred, 100 points = about $1.25 toward plane fare. I just used about 201,000 points for flights from Charlotte to Athens and Singapore back to Charlotte and paid $137 for the two of us.

So, you are saying your ticket cost about $1325 per person for your trip. That sounds like an excellent coach fare.

My earlier thoughts were for Business tickets where points are definitely better than converting to cash as you did. Doubt you would have done better with super saver free tickets for points so you did good and must have caught a sale and bought way early before your cruise. The OP is now way too close to his cruise to do that well.

No - I did not call Chase and specifically asked about this. However, I do not see how or why it would not work. The 2 cards are in separate names/accounts and thus each one is an individual card - i.e it is not a second user on the same card. As long as the charges are posted on that card, it will(should) cover the person on that card and the co-traveler.

Don't have Sapphire Preferred (thinking about getting it), but I'd be concerned about this without explicit verifiable confirmation from Chase. Several internet sites discussing the card state that the charge for the entire trip must be placed on the card upon which the claim is made. I'm not sure I'd want to get into disputes/arguments with Chase in the event I had to make a claim.

RallyDave:

You are correct that Economy Plus is not an option with points. However, you can get an economy/coach ticket with points and then pay for an upgrade.

Thanks for the info marilynfaye. From my POV, economy plus is a non starter. While the extra leg room is nice, it is the narrow seats in coach that are a problem for DW and myself so economy plus is not a viable option for us.

Don't have Sapphire Preferred (thinking about getting it), but I'd be concerned about this without explicit verifiable confirmation from Chase. Several internet sites discussing the card state that the charge for the entire trip must be placed on the card upon which the claim is made. I'm not sure I'd want to get into disputes/arguments with Chase in the event I had to make a claim.

I just assume that the ENTIRE charge must be placed on the card to be able to claim. After all, one wouldn't expect to charge $100 and expect 10K in compensation. Conversely, when putting $10K on the card then one can expect to be compensated for same.

I don't mind putting the entire amount on the card as $10K in travel spending gets me 20K UR points - no card can do better. :)

I strongly suggest that anyone who has questions about coverage with the cards call the benefits dept at chase

They are very helpful

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Great advice. I'd add that I wouldn't rely on verbal assurances, but would request an email confirming the advice given or reference to a link that confirms the info. Having enjoyed the substantial benefits of a successful trip insurance claim last year, I would not want to be left high and dry.

Great advice. I'd add that I wouldn't rely on verbal assurances, but would request an email confirming the advice given or reference to a link that confirms the info. Having enjoyed the substantial benefits of a successful trip insurance claim last year, I would not want to be left high and dry.

Excellent advice about requesting an email or reference to a link to confirm information given over the phone.

Thank you very much for all the insights. I do appreciate the discussion and I have learned a great deal. For this trip to Bali, we only booked about 300 days out and have only gotten the credit cards starting June/July so if we get any portion paid it is to our good. We have used the Capital One Card (new in Jan 2014) this year to cover 5 days of hotel rooms -- baby steps to using point system -- and the "erasure" part worked very very well and it has already paid us off about $900- we have the no fee option. Not at all bad considering that card has the regular occurring bills on it like newspaper and gym and pest service.

DH just hates to pay to play even though he certainly does the math correctly and understands it -- just hates to pay that fee. :p Daughter and I are working on him! If daughter will pay the fee/believe me it is in her best interest and she has really checked it out. :D

I just spoke to Chase benefits department and requested the updated guide for benefits. According to them, in case of two or more persons going on the trip the coverage is double up to 20K, based on the amount charged on the card. And they don't require the entire trip cost to be charged. It looks like there is no sense to split the coast between two cards if your credit line is high enough. Although, I'll wait until my guide arrive in the mail to see that in written.

To receive a copy one should call Chase and request the full guide to be mailed.

I just spoke to Chase benefits department and requested the updated guide for benefits. According to them, in case of two or more persons going on the trip the coverage is double up to 20K, based on the amount charged on the card. And they don't require the entire trip cost to be charged. It looks like there is no sense to split the coast between two cards if your credit line is high enough. Although, I'll wait until my guide arrive in the mail to see that in written.

To receive a copy one should call Chase and request the full guide to be mailed.

Very good input. I am calling Chase now. Thank you

This would be amazing, but if it comes to pass that the 10K limit applies to THE TRIP, regardless of the number of family members, and the cruise costs more - let's say $14K - would this work: (1) Charge the whole thing on Chase and get up to $10K coverage and then (2) buy a comprehensive policy for $4K since $4K is now your prepaid non-reimbursable expense. The medical benefits do not increase or decrease based on the cost of the cruise. Wouldn't this cover all your bases or have I suggested something illegal? :o

rallydave: Thanks for starting such an interesting discussion. And, I see you are a fellow Texan. I should have known. ;)

Marilyn

That is a good question and seems like a reasonable solution, but I think it is something that only a knowledgable insurance agent could answer. I think I'd first look at the language in the Sapphire benefits. Then if additional coverage is needed, I'd call customer service at one of the sources that sell travel insurance like insuremytrip.com. They sell policies from many companies and probably can tell you if a comprehensive policy for the difference is a possibility.

Although, I'll wait until my guide arrive in the mail to see that in written.

It would be helpful if you could take the time to quote info from the guide (when you receive it) which answers questions posed in this thread. Hopefully, what you were told was accurate.

That is a good question and seems like a reasonable solution, but I think it is something that only a knowledgable insurance agent could answer. I think I'd first look at the language in the Sapphire benefits. Then if additional coverage is needed, I'd call customer service at one of the sources that sell travel insurance like insuremytrip.com. They sell policies from many companies and probably can tell you if a comprehensive policy for the difference is a possibility.

Yes, it is definitely an insurance company question, not one for Chase. Can you take out a policy that does not cover the full cost of the cruise and still get the full medical benefit? I do think if your out of pocket trip expenses can be completely covered by the credit card company, a medical/evacuation policy is cheaper.

Yes, it is definitely an insurance company question, not one for Chase. Can you take out a policy that does not cover the full cost of the cruise and still get the full medical benefit? I do think if your out of pocket trip expenses can be completely covered by the credit card company, a medical/evacuation policy is cheaper.

While it is a question for an insurance company, would think the first question should go to the insurance company that insures Chase and I understand the same company insures for all of the different Chase credit cards that have the coverage. Might just be able to combine the limits on the different cards if you have more than one to cover most situations and if you don't have multiple cards or are going over the Chase limits, you really need to talk first to one of the travel insurance brokers to get what they think applies and then choose the insurance company that you are planning on purchasing from and talk specifically to them as different companies most likely have different rules. Simply talking to a company you aren't going to purchase from may or may not provide the correct answer for the company you eventually purchase from.

I got a benefits brochure today, but I think it is an obsolete one because it is date effective 11/01/13. I am a new cardholder so perhaps they did not have the new brochures ready.

I am especially interested in the language of the trip cancellation portion. I know the limits are changing, but here is what it says regarding cancellation:

Each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit up to the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit. If more than one person insured under the same account suffers a covered loss for the same covered trip, the company will not pay more than (twice the maximum).

I put the parentheses because the old language says the limit is $5,000 per person. The whole purpose of this thread is to discuss the new limit which is now $10,000 so twice the new maximum is $20,000. Follow me?

However, the troubling part concerns pre-existing conditions. Coverage is excluded if an event (diagnosis, care, treatment) occurs within 60 days immediately prior to purchase of a covered trip. Medication for a controlled condition doesn't count.

It seems to me that this timetable leaves you vulnerable at the last minute. An annual medical policy will not cover cancellation. A comprehensive policy that does cover pre-existing conditions requires purchase at time of deposit. At least one company covers (CSA) pre-existing conditions if it if purchased within in 24 hrs or so of final payment, but it is pricey.

So I guess you could cancel the trip or get other insurance if something happened in the 60 look-back period, but it negates the plan for an annual policy because you'd have to duplicate it to get a comprehensive policy that includes cancellation.

It seems to me that this timetable leaves you vulnerable at the last minute. An annual medical policy will not cover cancellation. A comprehensive policy that does cover pre-existing conditions requires purchase at time of deposit. At least one company covers (CSA) pre-existing conditions if it if purchased within in 24 hrs or so of final payment, but it is pricey.

I think that you may be confusing two terms - cancel for any reason and pre-existing condition.

It's the "cancel for any reason" that has to be purchased within 14 days (or so) of the initial deposit (and is very expensive). The "pre-existing medical condition" varies from insurance to insurance. Some have a 6 months period, others much shorter and some even do not have that condition.