Chase Sapphire Preferred Improved Travel Benefits

rallydave

What we do is split the trip between our 2 individual Sapphire cards and now we are up to 20K of insurance/trip (as also suggested by Laraine).

Even if you do not do that, the extra insurance you have to buy will be for 10K less - should save you some money :)

For our upcoming river cruise we did this: Sappphire was 5K for each of us, Explorer covered each of us 1,500, which we used on our airfare upgrades and then we bought a small travel insurance policy for the difference and it gave us the medical we needed. Now with the increase in both of them we should be good in the future by purchasing the yearly medical insurance. Thank you Chase!

I searched the site yesterday and what I noted was that you could get insured, but the benefits between the ages of 70 to 84 were reduced. e.g., where it normally was $250,00 the benefit was $100,000. To me, the price was very reasonable. So it looked to me that you could be covered until age 84.

When I put in the parameters the other day for the yearly policy, it just came back and said not good for over age 74..

Jancruz1

Im trying to keep up with you guys but its like trying to spell without the full alphabet! Ive read the past threads as well as this one and the thing I cant get through my head is this: my understanding is that unless a claim directly involves a transport carrier ie:cruise, airline any addition to the trip such as a nonrefundable hotel would not be covered. My personal example is I'm arriving 2 days early for an O cruise using their air deviation. I can find a great rate for the hotel stay prior to the cruise but it is nonrefundable. Then after the cruise I have a 4 day excursion and returning to the states using Os air. If I pay for the cruise, hotel and tour at seperate times with the card am I insured? I sure hope this makes sence

Im trying to keep up with you guys but its like trying to spell without the full alphabet! Ive read the past threads as well as this one and the thing I cant get through my head is this: my understanding is that unless a claim directly involves a transport carrier ie:cruise, airline any addition to the trip such as a nonrefundable hotel would not be covered. My personal example is I'm arriving 2 days early for an O cruise using their air deviation. I can find a great rate for the hotel stay prior to the cruise but it is nonrefundable. Then after the cruise I have a 4 day excursion and returning to the states using Os air. If I pay for the cruise, hotel and tour at seperate times with the card am I insured? I sure hope this makes sence

Ceba - I just copied this off Chase Sapphire Preferred ad. It doesn't go into great detail (would have to read total benefits) but this this would answer your question. Might be worth a call to them. It still shows the 5k instead of 10K currently discussing. Hope this helps. Joanna

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE*

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

I also just found this for the United Chase Explore card:

$10,000 trip cancellation insurance. If you are genuinely unable to travel due to doctor-verified illness (not pre-existing), death, or injury of yourself or an immediate family member, you can receive a refund of the nonrefundable portion of your travel expenses.

Ceba - I just copied this off Chase Sapphire Preferred ad. It doesn't go into great detail (would have to read total benefits) but this this would answer your question. Might be worth a call to them. It still shows the 5k instead of 10K currently discussing. Hope this helps. Joanna

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE*

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

I also just found this for the United Chase Explore card:

$10,000 trip cancellation insurance. If you are genuinely unable to travel due to doctor-verified illness (not pre-existing), death, or injury of yourself or an immediate family member, you can receive a refund of the nonrefundable portion of your travel expenses.

Joanna, you are a peach!! I am going to call but that's the answer I'm hoping for. Thank you, Kathleen

the Chase Card to get the "free" medical benefits????

No Caroldoll, that takes a medical policy..but it is much less expensive..for people like us..(we are going on our fourth cruise in a year) to take a yearly policy It only costs us $254 a person for great coverage..

Jancuz1

Yes you charge your cruise to Chase..I take an Allianz yearly health insurance policy for the simple reason when my husband had a heart attack getting off the South America cruise in Florida in 2005 and was in a coma 2 months and the cost was $3million dollars plus a private hospital plane from Miami to LA ..They covered everything above my insurance plus they flew us with 2 pilots, 2 doctors and a nurse and had ambulances at both ends..I never spoke to them my daughter and the nurses made all the arrangements..I was so grateful, I will never change companies..

I do understand HTH may be less expensive but I personally know nothing about them..

Jancruz1

Yes you charge your cruise to Chase..I take an Allianz yearly health insurance policy for the simple reason when my husband had a heart attack getting off the South America cruise in Florida in 2005 and was in a coma 2 months and the cost was $3million dollars plus a private hospital plane from Miami to LA ..They covered everything above my insurance plus they flew us with 2 pilots, 2 doctors and a nurse and had ambulances at both ends..I never spoke to them my daughter and the nurses made all the arrangements..I was so grateful, I will never change companies..

I do understand HTH may be less expensive but I personally know nothing about them..

Jancruz1

Wow! What a scary thing to have happened. That coverage is amazing. Sounds like you all got excellent care.

Jancruz1

I looked at the Allianztravelinsurance.com website, and it describes an annual "Med Evac" plan, but it says it has a $1,000,000 limit. Is that the policy you mention? Thanks.

I looked at the Allianztravelinsurance.com website, and it describes an annual "Med Evac" plan, but it says it has a $1,000,000 limit. Is that the policy you mention? Thanks.

I took their regular yearly policy..now it costs $254 a person per year..

It was scary and lots of wonderful people on this board gave me so much encouragement it was like having a second family..nine years later I think of all those people all of the time...so many CC people came to the hospital to hold my hand it was amazing!! I will never forget..and always appreciate..

Jan

Interesting tread because I'm going through the claim process with United Miles Plus Club Credit Card right now. Unfortunately, a trip to London had to be canceled because of a family illness (not cruise related). We had nonrefundable airline tickets and hotel. We are going to be refunded for the airline tickets but need to wait until a year has passed from the airline booking date if we want a full refund. This is because United offers a credit for a future flight, minus $300, if we book another flight within a year of orginal booking. We have to wait until the offer has expired and then resubmit our claim. I was told if we do decided to use the United credit, the insurance company (Crawford) will reimburse us the $300 charge. I've been impressed with my dealings with the insurance company so far. If it wasn't for this benefit on our card, we would of been out $3500.

Interesting tread because I'm going through the claim process with United Miles Plus Club Credit Card right now. Unfortunately, a trip to London had to be canceled because of a family illness (not cruise related). We had nonrefundable airline tickets and hotel. We are going to be refunded for the airline tickets but need to wait until a year has passed from the airline booking date if we want a full refund. This is because United offers a credit for a future flight, minus $300, if we book another flight within a year of orginal booking. We have to wait until the offer has expired and then resubmit our claim. I was told if we do decided to use the United credit, the insurance company (Crawford) will reimburse us the $300 charge. I've been impressed with my dealings with the insurance company so far. If it wasn't for this benefit on our card, we would of been out $3500.

Was the hotel nonrefundable as well?

I think that if you cancel a United Airlines overseas ticket, and want to change to a different overseas trip, that is non-refundable ticket, there is a $300 change fee plus any additional amount that the new ticket costs? The main reason I bought the United Airlines Mileage Plus card is because of the Cruise Cancellation protection. I am wondering if anyone has had to cancel a cruise-and tried to get a refund from the United Airlines Mileage Plus Card? If so, what has been their experience? I have done a web search, and have not found anyone who has ever had to cancel a cruise try to get a CRUISE refund based on the United Airlines Mileage Plus Card. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated-as that is the main reason I got the United Airlines Mileage Plus Card.

Edited by titong

I think that if you cancel a United Airlines overseas ticket, and want to change to a different overseas trip, that is non-refundable ticket, there is a $300 change fee plus any additional amount that the new ticket costs? The main reason I bought the United Airlines Mileage Plus card is because of the Cruise Cancellation protection. I am wondering if anyone has had to cancel a cruise-and tried to get a refund from the United Airlines Mileage Plus Card? If so, what has been their experience? I have done a web search, and have not found anyone who has ever had to cancel a cruise try to get a CRUISE refund based on the United Airlines Mileage Plus Card. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated-as that is the main reason I got the United Airlines Mileage Plus Card.

I had to cancel a cruise and claim a refund with my Sapphire card, which is essentially the same card, I believe (i.e. Chase Visa). AFAIK they both use the same insurance company - ?Chubb.

Had no problem - received full amount claimed.

Yes our nonrefundable hotel deposit is included in our claim. In our case, we could of been out the $3500 if we didn't book another international flight before this November. Prior to cancelling our trip, I already scheduled another flight for our cruise next year using FF miles. I would much rather have the monies refunded back to me then a credit with an expiration date. Happy Chase added this benefit but will continue to purchase trip insurance since the cost of an O cruise is well beyond the $10K limit.

I had to cancel a cruise and claim a refund with my Sapphire card, which is essentially the same card, I believe (i.e. Chase Visa). AFAIK they both use the same insurance company - ?Chubb.

Paulchili, thank you very much. That convinces me to keep my Chase United Airlines Mileage card. Also, you are correct, I checked and they both use Chubb.

I notice that the United Airlines mileage plus credit card excludes pre-existing conditions from their cruise cancellation coverage. Do you happen to know if the Chase Sapphire card also excludes pre-existing conditions from their cruise cancellation coverage?

I notice that the United Airlines mileage plus credit card excludes pre-existing conditions from their cruise cancellation coverage. Do you happen to know if the Chase Sapphire card also excludes pre-existing conditions from their cruise cancellation coverage?

Oops, I just looked online at the benefits of the Chase Sapphire card and I see that it too does not cover pre-existing conditions.

Does anyone know of a credit card that does cover pre-existing conditions?

Edited by titong

I have just gotten my Chase Sapphire and DH has United Mileage Plus both from Chase and eligible for Ultimate Rewards and 1:1 points. Has anybody used these for United flights. the 95,000 points for signing up and adding a person plus my outstanding ability to really "charge" on out there I'm hoping will do a big part of tickets to Bali (and return).

1. Take Chase Sapphire points and dump into DH United account. Can I order through Ultimate Rewards for 25% off? Can you get the super saver rate if available on United page or do you have to pay the double amount of points regular award for Ultimate Reward.

2 Oh heck I don't even know what I need to ask. How can I get the best seats (probably Economy Plus but dreaming super saver Business) using United and points from both credit cards.

3. Timing for award tickets? Our cruise according to that counter is about 200 days away. I will get a pile more points when I pay that cruise to Bali off at 90 days. Think I can wait to maybe November ( 100 days out and still get award tickets for early Feb. ) Going I have 18 different journeys that can get us to Bali for the cruise on Feb 17. One is really preferred if I can get a long layover and not go with the 1 hour connection. Coming back the 14 hour nonstop is good.

4. Redeeming: How do you figure which is in your best interest:rolleyes: cash back for buying the tickets or using points? This is getting past my mathematical abilities not to mention the logic!

Thanks for the help. Someday I will break into the Ultimate Rewards page but so far going just on the "paid advertisement pages". Share your experiences redeeming rewards.