Chase Sapphire Preferred Improved Travel Benefits

rallydave

I'm not sure I understand your response. Are you talking about annual medical policies? I'm not familiar with those, but any travel insurance I've ever purchased has a clause about pre-existing conditions. The look back-period can be as short as 60 days, but most are around 180 days. For those to be covered, the policy has to be purchased within a short time of initial deposit.

The crux of the matter regarding Chase is how they define "purchase of a covered trip." There is no language to differentiate initial deposit or final payment - two terms that make a very big difference when purchasing travel insurance for a single trip.

The cost of a CSA policy covering pre-existing conditions at final payment is a little over $700 for a $10,000 trip.

I think that you may be confusing two terms - cancel for any reason and pre-existing condition.

It's the "cancel for any reason" that has to be purchased within 14 days (or so) of the initial deposit (and is very expensive). The "pre-existing medical condition" varies from insurance to insurance. Some have a 6 months period, others much shorter and some even do not have that condition.

I'm not familiar with all policies, and you are certainly correct that policies vary, but most of the ones I have looked at require purchase within 14 or 15 days of initial deposit for the pre-existing waiver to be in place. As Babr points out, CSA has a policy that doesn't require purchase until final payment, but it IS pricey.

Do I understand this correctly? IF I had a medical issue within 60 days prior to paying for the cruise, then I would not have trip cancellation coverage through Sapphire, but if I thought I was fine and paid for the cruise and then had a medical issue between the time of payment and the cruise itself I would have coverage. If that is the case and I did have an issue prior to final payment, but still thought I could make the trip, I have the option to pay the piper and go with CSA. At least those are options I can control and considering how much I have been shelling out for policies over the years, getting "free" coverage and using CSA in an emergency is a darn good deal. And, yes, buying a CSA comprehensive policy and an annual medical policy does duplicate coverage, but again that scenario is the exception, not the rule.

Please feel free to poke holes in this analysis. I already have my comprehensive policy in place for October. I'm just trying to look ahead.

Marilyn

The way I understand it is that if you have a medical issue in the sixty days prior that requires you to cancel after final payment, then you don't have coverage.

Suppose you had some symptoms within that 60 period before final payment that were significant enough for you to consult a doctor. The doctor identifies a problem that bears watching but does not prohibit you from traveling; then, after final payment, the condition develops into something that causes you to cancel. At that point you would not have any coverage under the Chase card because the initial treatment occurred in that 60 day look-back period.

The same thing could happen if you had an accident. Perhaps an injury appears to heal properly, but complications appear after you've made final payment. Even healthy people are subject to accidents.

The only way to avoid being caught like that is to cancel without penalty before final payment or to purchase a comprehensive policy that will cover pre-existing conditions at final payment. The only requirement there is that you were clear to travel at the time you purchased the policy.

Sure, it is an outside chance that something would happen in a short window of time, but in my mind, that is what I buy insurance for - to guard against the unforeseen.

Edited by Babr
spelling

Assume that I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred and/or the United Mileage Plus Card. On March 11, 2014, I had to have cardiac bypass surgery. I am now doing fine-thank goodness. I made the final payment on an upcoming cruise on May 20, 2014. The cruises leaves Sept. 20, 2014. The way I am reading or interpreting the posts is that since it is more than 60 days between the time I had the surgery and the time I made the final payment, I should be reimbursed for this cruise by my credit card in the unlikely event, I have to cancel. Am I correct in making this assumption? Also, if you are using the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the United Mileage Plus credit card for the cruise cancellation provisions-would you be wise to not go see a doctor or hospital-unless it is a medical emergency within the 60 days prior to making your final payment?

Edited by titong

I think you are correct. If there is no medical event in the 60 days, you meet the definition since medication for a stable condition does not count.

There is a catch in some policies that says even a medication change in that period nullifies coverage because the condition is not stable. So you are probably right that any doctor visit in that 60 day period before final payment would be scrutinized.

Still need to know whether covered if deposit was paid on a different card and the balance on the Sapphire Preferred. What if entire cruise (for 2) paid on Sapphire preferred, but (non Oceania) airfare paid on a different card (like one of the airline cards)?

Also, as raised above, are you covered for full amount paid (for trip cancellation), if you put entire amount of $25,000 trip (for 2) on SP, and then buy comprehensive with $5,000 trip cancellation? (Tried to add this to my post immediately above, but too late to edit.)

Edited by ohmark

I'm not sure anyone here can answer those questions unless they have actually done it.

I think you'll have to talk to Chase benefits to get clarification about using two different cards. You'll have to speak to an insurance agent to see if you can buy a supplemental cancellation policy.

The only thing that seems pretty clear is that Chase will not pay more than the $20,000 max limit per occurrence.

I think you are correct. If there is no medical event in the 60 days, you meet the definition since medication for a stable condition does not count.

There is a catch in some policies that says even a medication change in that period nullifies coverage because the condition is not stable. So you are probably right that any doctor visit in that 60 day period before final payment would be scrutinized.

Babr, thank you very much. That is very good information.

FYI: CSA Custom Luxe provides a pre-existing condition waiver if the policy is purchased prior to or within 24 hours of final trip payment.

Ohmark, thank you for your reply. However, for my purpose, the price is outrageous. I am 72 years old and for a coverage of $2900, it would cost me $354. I have Medicare and an excellent supplemental health insurance policy that includes all overseas or cruise related medical costs. It also includes all co-payments and deductibles. I don't care about lost baggage coverage, medical coverage which I already have, concierge services, and the many other items CSA includes. Thus for me, the United Airlines credit card and or Sapphire Preferred card cover exactly what I want ie., cruise costs in the event of illness. Again, thank you for your reply.

Titong, could you let me know who your supplement health policy is through, since I know of no medicare supplement that does not limit coverage outside the US to $50,000. Thanks

Titong, could you let me know who your supplement health policy is through, since I know of no medicare supplement that does not limit coverage outside the US to $50,000. Thanks

I just sent you a private message per your e-mail with the details you asked for.

I have just gotten my Chase Sapphire and DH has United Mileage Plus both from Chase and eligible for Ultimate Rewards and 1:1 points. Has anybody used these for United flights. the 95,000 points for signing up and adding a person plus my ......

Okay so how did you get the 95,000 points? Was it the combined bonus signing points for both cards ? Also I know this may be a very basic questions but how do I find out cruise prices from CS and United vacations? I log on but I do not see any menu options. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I know this may be a very basic questions but how do I find out cruise prices from CS and United vacations? I log on but I do not see any menu options. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted

Edited by Paulchili

The way I understand it is that if you have a medical issue in the sixty days prior that requires you to cancel after final payment, then you don't have coverage.

Suppose you had some symptoms within that 60 period before final payment that were significant enough for you to consult a doctor. The doctor identifies a problem that bears watching but does not prohibit you from traveling; then, after final payment, the condition develops into something that causes you to cancel. At that point you would not have any coverage under the Chase card because the initial treatment occurred in that 60 day look-back period.

The same thing could happen if you had an accident. Perhaps an injury appears to heal properly, but complications appear after you've made final payment. Even healthy people are subject to accidents.

The only way to avoid being caught like that is to cancel without penalty before final payment or to purchase a comprehensive policy that will cover pre-existing conditions at final payment. The only requirement there is that you were clear to travel at the time you purchased the policy.

Sure, it is an outside chance that something would happen in a short window of time, but in my mind, that is what I buy insurance for - to guard against the unforeseen.

Babr, I just contacted Chase, and the Chase representative put me on hold. She then came back quickly with the answer to my question. She told me that the 60 day pre-existing clause for the cruise cancellation applies to the INITIAL payment or deposit-not the final payment. Thus, it appears that if you want to be on the safe side, it is best not to go see any doctors or go to any hospital-unless it is an emergency prior to 60 days of making the INITIAL deposit or payment-not the final payment.

An important distinction. Thanks for letting me know.

That means if I book a cruise a year in advance, I am covered no matter what happens before final payment as long as I had no pre-existing conditions or medical events in the 60 day look-back before deposit. Of course, one can cancel before final payment without penalty; but having that period at the beginning rather than immediately prior to final payment, eliminates vulnerability to last minute problems. That is a good thing because I can control when I make a deposit but not when final payment is due.

Most travel policies require purchase at time of deposit. I guess I thought the Chase policy would be different because it is open-ended, so to speak, and the language in the benefits booklet does not make it clear.

The important thing is to know ahead of time how it works, and I was making an incorrect assumption. Thanks again for getting the real answer.

An important distinction. Thanks for letting me know.

That means if I book a cruise a year in advance, I am covered no matter what happens before final payment as long as I had no pre-existing conditions or medical events in the 60 day look-back before deposit. Of course, one can cancel before final payment without penalty; but having that period at the beginning rather than immediately prior to final payment, eliminates vulnerability to last minute problems. That is a good thing because I can control when I make a deposit but not when final payment is due.

Most travel policies require purchase at time of deposit. I guess I thought the Chase policy would be different because it is open-ended, so to speak, and the language in the benefits booklet does not make it clear.

The important thing is to know ahead of time how it works, and I was making an incorrect assumption. Thanks again for getting the real answer.

You are welcome. I am glad that the issue of the 60 day look back is now hopefully cleared up.

I just assume that the ENTIRE charge must be placed on the card to be able to claim. After all, one wouldn't expect to charge $100 and expect 10K in compensation

Here's what the Chase benefits department rep told me as to the Sapphire Preferred trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance. The entire charge for the trip does not have to be placed on the Sapphire. But the coverage limit will only be for the amount of the payment placed on the Sapphire (not to exceed $10,000 per person).

So, as I understand it: let's say the cruise is $10,000 per person; that a $500 deposit per person was charged to a different card; and that the final payment of $19,000 (for 2 travelers) was put on the Sapphire Preferred. The coverage provided by Chase would have a limit of $19,000.

Of course, trip interruption/cancellation would only be provided for circumstances set forth in the policy and, as explained to me by the Chase benefits rep, the relationship between the cardholder and second traveler must meet their household and/or familial guidelines.

As a new cardholder, I requested a copy of the benefits booklet. The rep says this will explain in detail.

If all of the above was obvious to some or all of you, I apologize for posting. But it wasn't to me.

Edited by ohmark

ohmark,

Thank you for the clarification.

It makes sense to me - you get back only the amount you charged to the card (within limits of the card).

Otherwise one could charge only $100 and expect to be covered for $19,000.

Insurance companies are not in the business of handing out money. :)

Just received my first billing on new Sapphire Preferred Card and I transferred 54,968 points to my United Mileage plus account thus saving 1,600 points due to expire this month so 55,000 + miles and very easy. Wish paying off the bill was as easy :) Paying for November cruise is helping to get the air fare for the next cruise. Pretty happy about that.

• 4 weeks later...
Medical coverage is very cheap for a yearly travel for outside the US policy.

Our policy is around $200 for the two of us. We have claimed charges incurred on the ships as well as on land and have always been paid in full.

If you have Kaiser Permente Medical you need to know you are covered 100% no deductible any where on earth for no charge ! I recently ran up a $6100 bill over seas and Kaiser paid it 100% no deductible without a hiccup.

if you travel and are in an area that offers Kaiser....Id seriously consider it

Just received my first billing on new Sapphire Preferred Card and I transferred 54,968 points to my United Mileage plus account thus saving 1,600 points due to expire this month so 55,000 + miles and very easy. Wish paying off the bill was as easy :) Paying for November cruise is helping to get the air fare for the next cruise. Pretty happy about that.

Its easy to pay off...just put auto pay and tie it to regular account dedicated to that card. I have 4 cards 1 Marriott and 3 ual 2 to a travel entertainment savings/checking 1 to general expense ACCOUNT and 1 to taxes and professional fees ACCOUNT. Don't even write checks anymore and get each card auto paid after a 30 -45 day float

Then there the miles and points...

SEPAKING OF WHICH....2015 MOST AIRLINE PROGRAMS ARE SET TO CHANGE BIG TIME.... YOU NO LONGER EARN MILES BUT WILL EARN POINTS/MILES BASED NOT ON DISTANCE FLOWN BUT FARE PAID.

Thus, a rt to Hawaii in coach will now earn only2000 points rather than 5100

Moral....fly your butt off before March because miles will be scares A short term flight 230 miles palm springs to Las Vegas will earn more miles/points then a rt to Hawaii after March......READ YOUR PROGRAM AMIGOS..... ITS THE TRAIN IN THE TUNNEL HEADED FOR YOU