Uber from Miami Airport

kimba6539

Don't think you will get many responses as Uber has only been operating in the area a short time--and has only been legally operating since this past week. Until then they had been harassed by undercover cops who would book a ride and then give the driver a ticket for operating a taxi without a license.

My friend and I each have a thirty dollar credit which should cover airport to the hotel and port to the airport. Seems legit and it is everywhere. Numerous cities here in the US and lots of foreign countries. There were some issues about not being a licensed taxi service but I think that is all taken care of now.

I didn't mean to imply that Uber was not legit from the get-go. The lobbyists for the taxi industry have very deep pockets and are pulling plenty of strings at City and County Halls in Miami-Dade. I guarantee you they were behind all the police harassment, and it was only when they agreed this past week to call off the dogs that the opinion was issued by the county that Uber drivers do not need hack licenses.

I didn't mean to imply that Uber was not legit from the get-go. The lobbyists for the taxi industry have very deep pockets and are pulling plenty of strings at City and County Halls in Miami-Dade. I guarantee you they were behind all the police harassment, and it was only when they agreed this past week to call off the dogs that the opinion was issued by the county that Uber drivers do not need hack licenses.

I keep getting ads on my facebook page to use my own car and become a Uber Miami driver.

I'd probably wait a couple of weeks until they get the kinks out. Or a month.

Miami is a super corrupt town. Last summer three different city mayors were arrested.

• 2 months later...

Keith,

Just wanted to let you know how my uber experience was. Pickup at the airport went smoothly. It was a Nissan Sentra which I felt was a small car but all of our luggage fit. Driver was great. we asked him about a ride from our hotel to the port and he stated they are not allowed in the port. So just a heads up.

Kim

UberX now also has UberXL down here in Miami. It's a SUV which will be better for those with large parties or lots of luggage.

We actually had a friend use Uber XL sunday to go from Brickell to FLL. Other than getting off at the wrong exit, the SUV was a new model and very clean and she said it was a positive experience.

Keith,

Just wanted to let you know how my uber experience was. Pickup at the airport went smoothly. It was a Nissan Sentra which I felt was a small car but all of our luggage fit. Driver was great. we asked him about a ride from our hotel to the port and he stated they are not allowed in the port. So just a heads up.

Kim

I'm surprised to hear that they are not allowed in the port. As there is nothing to show on the outside of the car that they are Uber and there are no check points at the Miami port at all, how would anyone know that they weren't just a friend dropping someone off?!!

Glad your experience was a good one and hope your cruise was great.

• 1 month later...

In theory, how would the checkpoint person know they were an Uber driver for the drop off? (This is at Port Everglades) - but for pick-up..... the guards usually ask you for the name of the ship and the name of the people you're picking up, so the Uber driver would have to know this stuff before trying to come in.

• 2 months later...

I used Uber to Port Everglades in early January without any problems. Both the driver and I were asked for ID on entry into the port and no problem. Uber cannot pickup at Port Everglades. Still interested in folks using Uber from MIA airport, no problem with collection. Where do they pickup?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes

if you need a first timers code feel free to use mine uberjmrteacher

Have a great cruise!

Be careful giving your codes out on here. Uber can shut down your referral account if they see a lot of money going in and find out it's because you are posting your code on public websites other than your own Facebook page, etc.

What are we talking price wise for a Uber XL from FLL to Miami Downtown hotel. Our flight lands at 3:05pm so not rush hour but also not middle of the afternoon.

If not Uber what do you recommend for transport? Family of 4 with luggage

What are we talking price wise for a Uber XL from FLL to Miami Downtown hotel. Our flight lands at 3:05pm so not rush hour but also not middle of the afternoon.

If not Uber what do you recommend for transport? Family of 4 with luggage

Van and SUV taxis are common in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and cost the same as a sedan.