NCL food overhaul

LrgPizza

The article is dated with today's date, and it says fleet wide. So while it might be old news for those who have sailed on the Epic, it looks like it's new news for the others.

Prime Rib has been available in the MDR's but not in O'Sheehan's, formerly Blue Lagoon.

New news or old news, it still makes me happy.

Yes, it's dated today, but it does seem to be something of an amalgamation of previously announced news or things that are already hampering (like Ribs in o'Sheehans or reservations in the MDR's).

I do wonder whether this means there will be more versions of the MDR menus (with the regionally based menus), and I agree that it is mainly good (at least I like the changes), but there is nothing that is very surprising, rather a summary of what is already largely known.

Yes, it's dated today, but it does seem to be something of an amalgamation of previously announced news or things that are already hampering .... but there is nothing that is very surprising, rather a summary of what is already largely known.

I think that the reason for accouncing these again is that besides the four specifically mentioned ships, the changes are now (or in two weeks anyway) finally fleetwide, so there is no more questioning if this or that ship already has gotten the new menus. (Btw, Jade already has new MDR lunch menus, just not the dinner menus. :) )

I think that the reason for accouncing these again is that besides the four specifically mentioned ships, the changes are now (or in two weeks anyway) finally fleetwide, so there is no more questioning if this or that ship already has gotten the new menus. (Btw, Jade already has new MDR lunch menus, just not the dinner menus. :) )

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Interesting about the Jade. I really enjoyed the new dinner menus, and I'm a bit disappointed that they won't be on the Jade next month, but it will be good to try the lunch ones instead.

I'm also loving the idea of prime rib and/or all you can eat baby back ribs in O'Sheehan's!

I had the ribs on my June cruise on the BA they were really good.

Friends and family went on prime rib night, they did not enjoy it (dry and no taste) I hope they step that up.

Edited by monkeybone

Nope. It's said in the article that Jade is one of the four ships in the fleet (Spirit, Jade, Sky and PoA) that will get these later.

Ahh, that pesky last sentence that I glanced over and didn't actually read. lol :p

I just want to know when all the ships will get the Mojito Bar.:rolleyes:

I believe the new dinner menus were on the Pearl last week, definitely the chocolate dessert night in the main dining room was there along with the Nutella pot of creme! Warm chocolate volcano was a choice every night.

I just want to know when all the ships will get the Mojito Bar.:rolleyes:

That will still take time, I'd guess that all Dawn class and Jewel class ships might not have the restaurant shuffle done until 2016 at earliest.

Of course the could rename Star Bar and bring on the Mojito menus earlier too if they wanted... :D

I believe the new dinner menus were on the Pearl last week, definitely the chocolate dessert night in the main dining room was there along with the Nutella pot of creme! Warm chocolate volcano was a choice every night.

This was the menu from chocolate dessert night on the Epic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i401yuz29pm32ik/Photo%2030-05-2014%2017%2036%2005.jpg

Of course the could rename Star Bar and bring on the Mojito menus earlier too if they wanted... :D

Thats what I'm thinking for the Breakaway. Just change some signs and rename an existing bar...soon. Or at least by the 8/24 sailing :D

I loved to read this press release. It really shows NCL listens to feedback. But I know sometimes the press releases are overly optimistic. For example when they said they "improved" the Cagneys menu and charged more....it obviously was not the case since so many seafood appetizers were removed plus other better options.

I never had a problem with NCL food but the press release sure does make things sound good :)

For example when they said they "improved" the Cagneys menu and charged more....it obviously was not the case since so many seafood appetizers were removed plus other better options.

Just as an aside, this shows how it is all personal opinion. Recently, someone posted the old Cagneys menu on here, as they thought that it was a new one. When I looked at it, my instant thought was that I probably wouldn't go to Cagneys as often as the menu posted was so inferior (in my opinion) to what I was used to.

What's an improvement to some is the opposite to others. :)

I loved to read this press release. It really shows NCL listens to feedback. But I know sometimes the press releases are overly optimistic. For example when they said they "improved" the Cagneys menu and charged more....it obviously was not the case since so many seafood appetizers were removed plus other better options.

I never had a problem with NCL food but the press release sure does make things sound good :)

Funny you say that. Every food dish mentioned in the press release includes shellfish, which could kill me.

Not an improvement, in my eyes....despite that several posters on these boards may think otherwise.... :rolleyes:

Yes i did. I agree, it makes no sense. If i book online it does come up as no charge but reservations only go up to 8 people and I am 9. I was going to make 2 separate reservations (1 for 4 and 1 for 5) under 2 different names but i was informed that there is still no guarantee that we would all be able to sit together.

We had the same problem on our last cruise. You a'rent going to have better luck when you board. We just called and said that we only could make reservations for 8 and we needed 12, and they took the ressies over the phone but cautioned that they might not be able to seat 12 together and we should see the hostess at each restaurant when we boarded to address that issue. We did that the first day, and there was no problem at Italian restuarant and cagneys, but there was a problem at LeBistro and Teppanaki, both of which were unable to accomodate. Teppanaki because they can only seat 8 at any given table, and LeBistro because (in my view) the hostess was rude and just didnt feel like dealing with it. I would call and place the reservations by phone. AT least you will get the days and times you want.

The other alternative, which I did for upcoming on Gem, where we have 9, is to make a ressie for 8 only. Our plan is simply to show up with 9 and say we added one. What are they going to do? Make my husband sit at a table by himself?

Terry

Terry

Interesting idea on the reservations for complimentary restaurants.

I am not sure I would take advantage of it as I do like deciding for myself what time I want to eat. Should calm the nerves of those passengers that recently arrived from formal dining times to be able to choose their dining time and not wait around especially if they are large group

Not quite the same because it seems you still won't have an assigned table, just a designated time. So therefore you will still have different tablemates and different servers every night.

Edited by Out to sea!

Not quite the same because it seems you still won't have an assigned table, just a designated time. So therefore you will still have different tablemates and different servers every night.

Different tablemates? Unless you request to share a table that won't happen and, if you do request it, there may not be others dining at the same time who want to share.

Funny you say that. Every food dish mentioned in the press release includes shellfish, which could kill me.

Not an improvement, in my eyes....despite that several posters on these boards may think otherwise.... :rolleyes:

+1

I'm also allergic to shellfish and am cautious when traveling. It would be nice if they would add some options for the rest of us. I need to review the new menus in more detail...

Sent from my iPad

Different tablemates? Unless you request to share a table that won't happen and, if you do request it, there may not be others dining at the same time who want to share.

The person I was quoting was talking about calming the fears of freestyle dining for those coming from other lines. On other lines (as well as NCL), you may be seated at a table with others. At least on the other lines, you will have the same table mates every evening and get the chance to create friendships. With NCL, either you won't get table mates or have different ones every evening.

Making or allowing reservations is not freestyle. I hate having reservations because we always end up eating when we're not hungry. It's such a time constraints burden. I detest having to pre-plan anything on a vacation. It's an appointment I now have to keep, time stealer. Takes the fun out of being spontaneous. NCL might have to take the word freestyle off their advertising. When I have to make a reservation, it's no longer freestyle dining. If a reservation option is available, people make them. This can cause a problem for the whole freestyle concept, it's what I liked about cruising will NCL. Horrible idea NCL. Freestyle works. This was your strong point, now you're like everyone else.

On Royal Caribbean it's also an option. If you don't make reservations, you get to dine at 9pm.

That is Royal Caribbean, not NCL. Even on Getaway with expanded reservation possibilities we never had problems getting in to MDRs. Just saying...