Christmas/Holiday Cruises

Jadn13

I just booked a Cruise for this coming Christmas aboard the Caribbean Princess. Does anyone have any details they can share about what to expect on a Christmas cruise? Christmas falls on a Sea day.

Thank You!

I just booked a Cruise for this coming Christmas aboard the Caribbean Princess. Does anyone have any details they can share about what to expect on a Christmas cruise? Christmas falls on a Sea day.

Thank You!

Lots of decorations and Santa giving gifts to the hundreds of kids on board.

My family did a Christmas cruise two years ago. We loved it. My late twenty something daughters and their husbands along with my seventy something Mother came along. They had Christmas carol singing, cookie decorating, ginger bread house contest. Decorations and trees every where. It even "snowed" on board. Christmas music playing through out the ship. Christmas day there was a stocking with candy on our pillows. I would do it again in a heart beat. We were on the Caribbean Princess. We were not at all bothered by a lot of kids. It was great!!!

Christmas cruises on Princess are very festive with lots of extended families on board representing all age groups. The decorations are beautiful, there is Christmas music and caroling with the staff and crew. There is usually a Gingerbread House contest and special fun fair for the kids on Christmas Day with activities like cookie decorating. Santa arrives with gifts for the kids and teens. Dinner is a festive affair with traditional British crackers to pop open at each place setting. We have loved all of our holiday cruises on a Princess. You feel like you are traveling with one huge happy family and the staff and crew go above and beyond to make it special even though they are surely all missing their own families at that time of year. You will have a memorable cruise!

Christmas cruises on Princess are very festive with lots of extended families on board representing all age groups. The decorations are beautiful, there is Christmas music and caroling with the staff and crew. There is usually a Gingerbread House contest and special fun fair for the kids on Christmas Day with activities like cookie decorating. Santa arrives with gifts for the kids and teens. Dinner is a festive affair with traditional British crackers to pop open at each place setting. We have loved all of our holiday cruises on a Princess. You feel like you are traveling with one huge happy family and the staff and crew go above and beyond to make it special even though they are surely all missing their own families at that time of year. You will have a memorable cruise!

Can you please explain what a traditional British cracker is and why you crack it? I've not heard of this. Thanks!

I have done 2 xmas cruises and love them. Both of mine have been 15 days to Hawaii. They are fun, relaxing compared to xmas at home.

An English cracker is a cylinder cardboard wrapped in paper and tied at the ends. You pull the ends it makes a popping sound and a small gift pops out. Very English. The bad news is that last xmas on the Grand we did not get them. I was a little disappointed.

Can you please explain what a traditional British cracker is and why you crack it? I've not heard of this. Thanks!

You really have to be English to understand these things. (I am obviously NOT English...) You can check them out on youtube and then draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Thrak

We've done holiday cruises on the Emerald Princess the past three years, and I blogged about Christmas on board here, and posted lots of photos and videos here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas

Thank you so much for the detailed blog about Christmas on the Emerald. We'll have the pleasure of sailing on her during Christmas week this year. Sounds like we're going to have a great time!

Nancy

Edited by PrincessNancy

My family did a Christmas cruise two years ago. We loved it. My late twenty something daughters and their husbands along with my seventy something Mother came along. They had Christmas carol singing, cookie decorating, ginger bread house contest. Decorations and trees every where. It even "snowed" on board. Christmas music playing through out the ship. Christmas day there was a stocking with candy on our pillows. I would do it again in a heart beat. We were on the Caribbean Princess. We were not at all bothered by a lot of kids. It was great!!!

How wonderful. We're now tossed between Disney and Princess for a Christmas Cruise in a couple years! :)

We didn't know either! Fortunately we had met some British friends onboard and they explained the tradition. It is a little decorative package that you pop open (and it pops like a firecracker). Inside is a paper crown, some little trinkets and a joke to share with your tablemates. Not sure how or why the tradition originated, only that apparently it is common in the UK. We had so much fun we have now incorporated into our family Christmas Eve Dinners at home. You can find them at places like Cost Plus World Market at the holidays.

Christmas-crackers1.jpeg

Edited by karatemom2

We didn't know either! Fortunately we had met some British friends onboard and they explained the tradition. It is a little decorative package that you pop open (and it pops like a firecracker). Inside is a paper crown, some little trinkets and a joke to share with your tablemates. Not sure how or why the tradition originated, only that apparently it is common in the UK. We had so much fun we have now incorporated into our family Christmas Eve Dinners at home. You can find them at places like Cost Plus World Market at the holidays.

Christmas-crackers1.jpeg

What a great idea! I think my family would like this. Thanks for the explanation. The picture will help me know what to look for. Thanks again and happy sailing.

I have done 2 xmas cruises and love them. Both of mine have been 15 days to Hawaii. They are fun, relaxing compared to xmas at home.

An English cracker is a cylinder cardboard wrapped in paper and tied at the ends. You pull the ends it makes a popping sound and a small gift pops out. Very English. The bad news is that last xmas on the Grand we did not get them. I was a little disappointed.

I hope the Island will have them. It sounds very enjoyable. Thanks!

We've taken several Christmas cruises on Princess. Our first one was in 2004. We have never had Christmas crackers supplied at dinner.

What we did have is a special menu for Christmas dinner. We enjoy the decorations around the ship (but you also get them on earlier cruises in December for a lot less money), the carols, special shows, etc. For the most part, it's easy to get away from the many children on the ship. It has been, that is, except for our cruise on the Sun Princess. On that ship, the staff did not enforce the adults only pool.

We did three cruises to Hawaii that included Christmas -- in 2005, 2010, and 2012. Lots of Christmasy music, kids (and I guess adults) can have a meet and greet with Santa (he arrived and left the Golden Princess via tender on 12/25/12 while we were in Maui), a special dinner (it was a formal night either on Christmas Eve or Christmas on our cruises). Many Christmas movies on MUTS and on your cabin TV.

We did have crackers at our place settings on the 2005 cruise and our Canadian tablemates showed us how to pop the crackers. But we didn't have them for the other two cruises. The head waiter did go to each kid and gave them a box (not one, but a box) of candy canes.

Best thing is not dealing with the traffic at the malls.

They also have silly paper hats and a slip of paper with really bad jokes - which you must read out to others at your table so you can all groan about them. :D

They are sometimes called bonbons and are also popular in Australia and NZ.

We've taken several Christmas cruises on Princess. Our first one was in 2004. We have never had Christmas crackers supplied at dinner.

What we did have is a special menu for Christmas dinner. We enjoy the decorations around the ship (but you also get them on earlier cruises in December for a lot less money), the carols, special shows, etc. For the most part, it's easy to get away from the many children on the ship. It has been, that is, except for our cruise on the Sun Princess. On that ship, the staff did not enforce the adults only pool.

Might have to bring my own Christmas crackers when we sail on Sun Princess this Christmas. Can't imagine Christmas without silly Christmas cracker jokes LOL.

Here's hoping they enforce the adults only pool this Christmas.

Christmas cruises are very festive and designed for families and people who love lots of children and the family holiday activities.

Christmas cruises are also the most expensive of the year.

They are also the most fully booked cruises of the year (more people and longer lines).

If something goes wrong in your cabin (flood, no aircon, no toilet) you will not be moving. All cabins are fully booked.

On a Christmas cruise, every time you board an elevator, you find that some clever child has pushed the buttons for every deck.

Late at night you find out how soundproof your doors are not when you hear packs of children racing and screaming down the corridors.

Christmas flights lose more bags than at any other time of the year.

More Christmas flights are delayed and cancelled than at any other time of the year.

Cruise lines receive more complaints at Christmas than any other time of the year.

More Christmas cruisers remove gratuities than at any other time of the year, so your service staff is not entirely thrilled to be working for half salary during the holidays instead of being with their families at home.

Cruise ships have more domestic disputes during the Christmas cruise.

if you have any emergencies - family or otherwise - there are no seats available on any flights home.

Christmas week typically has the worst weather of the season.

If you are having any challenges with flights, lost suitcases, or the cruise, the people in the corporate offices who normally fix those problems are all on holiday - just like you.

If you are cruising around Christian countries, you will find many attractions and tours are not available around Christmas.

If you were not tired of Christmas music 24/7 for the 3 months leading up to your cruise, you certainly will be ready to kill someone by the end of the cruise.

Having said all that, there are many people who absolutely love Christmas Cruises.

Over the past 34 years I have worked 32 Christmas cruises.

2 were absolutely wonderful.

About 10 were very painful.

20 were complete disasters.

How lucky are you feeling this year?

Edited by BruceMuzz

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

I'm excited for this Cruise it looks very festive

and a change from a quiet holiday at home.

I can drive to the port so the extra hassle of

Holiday travel involving flights isn't a concern.

I've taught middle school and worked at a

childrens television network so kids I don't find

overly bothersome.

Anything short of a Lord of the flies scenario

and I'll be ok. (It's only a 5 day cruise)

Thanks again for a fun thread.

Edited by Jadn13

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

I'm excited for this Cruise it looks very festive

and a change from a quiet holiday at home.

I can drive to the port so the extra hassle of

Holiday travel involving flights isn't a concern.

I've taught middle school and worked at a

childrens television network so kids I don't find

overly bothersome.

Anything short of a Lord of the flies scenario

and I'll be ok. (It's only a 5 day cruise)

Thanks again for a fun thread.

My DH & I are on Christmas/new Years cruise # 11! The only time we have a common time off is at Christmas so that is when we cruise.... Think we enjoy them?:D

I am a high school teacher, DH is a custodian. (Different schools) We have had great Christmas/new Years cruises! We do not have kids but can always find a quiet place. You will have a great time!!!

We really enjoy the Christmas Carols that are sung in the Atrium

Christmas cruises are very festive and designed for families and people who love lots of children and the family holiday activities.

Christmas cruises are also the most expensive of the year.

They are also the most fully booked cruises of the year (more people and longer lines).

If something goes wrong in your cabin (flood, no aircon, no toilet) you will not be moving. All cabins are fully booked.

On a Christmas cruise, every time you board an elevator, you find that some clever child has pushed the buttons for every deck.

Late at night you find out how soundproof your doors are not when you hear packs of children racing and screaming down the corridors.

Christmas flights lose more bags than at any other time of the year.

More Christmas flights are delayed and cancelled than at any other time of the year.

Cruise lines receive more complaints at Christmas than any other time of the year.

More Christmas cruisers remove gratuities than at any other time of the year, so your service staff is not entirely thrilled to be working for half salary during the holidays instead of being with their families at home.

Cruise ships have more domestic disputes during the Christmas cruise.

if you have any emergencies - family or otherwise - there are no seats available on any flights home.

Christmas week typically has the worst weather of the season.

If you are having any challenges with flights, lost suitcases, or the cruise, the people in the corporate offices who normally fix those problems are all on holiday - just like you.

If you are cruising around Christian countries, you will find many attractions and tours are not available around Christmas.

If you were not tired of Christmas music 24/7 for the 3 months leading up to your cruise, you certainly will be ready to kill someone by the end of the cruise.

Having said all that, there are many people who absolutely love Christmas Cruises.

Over the past 34 years I have worked 32 Christmas cruises.

2 were absolutely wonderful.

About 10 were very painful.

20 were complete disasters.

How lucky are you feeling this year?

Hello,

I have been on 4 Christmas Cruises (2000 w/Celebrity & 2006, 2010 + 2013 on Princess) all as a guest. Apparently my family has been lucky, based on BruceMuzz's comment, and I have enjoyed them all since my entire family have also been on board.

All have been from Ft. Lauderdale and we have flown in the day before for each one. For Christmas we have gathered together, generally in Skywalkers to exchange a few gifts usually late morning/early afternoon. Two of the cruises Christmas was a sea day and twice, including last year, Christmas was in port.

If you have a group and want to eat together I would recommend going with Traditional Dining.

Check the prices, last year the cost on the Crown went down quite a bit in September. Plenty of Kids on board but had more last week on the Caribbean Princess.

Enjoy your trip!