Sky suite vs celebrity suite on reflection

sprout76

Hello all! First off, I apologize if this question has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find the answer so I'm hoping someone here could provide some insight.

My husband and I are going to do the 11 Eastern Mediterranean itinerary on reflection next fall for my 40th birthday. I'm trying to decide between the sky suite and the celebrity suite. I know the celebrity suite has a larger balcony and from what I've been reading it sounds like there may be some admittance to a club available to the celebrity suite, but not the sky suite. Is there anything else I'm missing? We've done quite a few Royal Caribbean cruises and I'm pretty familiar with their suites, but I've been very interested in trying celebrity and I LOVE this itinerary. Now I just need to figure out which cabin I want.

Thank you all so much in advance for your input. Anything would be helpful

Agree with many of the posters. The S class Celebrity Suite is worth the additional cost. The bedroom has his and hers walk-in closets and a makeup vanity. It is a little apartment. The only negative is the deep shower tub combo which, for a short person could be a problem. Just had the aft sky suite on the Silhouette which was light and beautiful and more then adequate storage for a two week cruise. Since it is at the rear of the ship- you get great views and the cabin is very quiet as not too much traffic in that area.

Enjoy your cruise.

I think you have the S class and m class CS reversed. On m class you have the nice his and hers walk in with vanity and tall tub. The vanity in an s class CS is in the hallway entrance to the room. A negative for us.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have the S class and m class CS reversed. On m class you have the nice his and hers walk in with vanity and tall tub. The vanity in an s class CS is in the hallway entrance to the room. A negative for us.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad! Too early in the morning- M class has the nice his and hers closet with vanity and the tall tub. Loved the Aft sky suite on the Silhouette-which I "assume" is the same on the Reflection.:) Got up and responded too early today!!

Edited by Cruise a holic

For me, a lover of suites, on Reflection, I'd take an aft corner sky suite over a Celebrity Suite for the cost savings unless access to Michael's Club is important to you. I can't give an opinion as to sky suites not at corner aft, as I have not been in one of those yet, but based on floor plan on line, think I would still take one over the Celebrity Suite.

However that said, if a Royal suite were an option and in budget, I'd definitely take the royal over a sky. :D

I love the celebrity suite on the M class ships however.

The celebrity suite on S class is just very tight in its configuration, although the bed is in a separate room that has no windows and is dark (well a paper screen like "window" into the living room). It has a larger seating areas with the L shaped sectional couch, but just feels tight to me, where the aft sky suites felt roomy, but had less seating, but still a nice bathroom with jetted tub and shower combo, as in the Celebrity suite.

To me the Celebrity suite on S class seems the same size as a typical hotel room, however they just stuck walls up tight to the nightstands and close to the foot of bed with just enough room to walk past, to wall it off from the rest of the room. The sky suites lacking these tightly placed walls, feels more open.

Some very helpful info here. I've never booked a cruise with a particular cabin in mind, or even with a hard and fast preference as to position on the ship (except maybe staying away from rooms right outside the elevator/stairs). In your experience, how far in advance do you need to book to get the coveted corner aft suite? :)

Some very helpful info here. I've never booked a cruise with a particular cabin in mind, or even with a hard and fast preference as to position on the ship (except maybe staying away from rooms right outside the elevator/stairs). In your experience, how far in advance do you need to book to get the coveted corner aft suite? :)

I have a cruise booked for The end of October 2015 and the Aft suites have been sold out for several months already. Of course it will depend on your actual cruise. I would also not be surprised if people cancel near the final payment date.

I have never stayed in a Celebrity Suite, but I visited one. We would not book one because of the lack of view from the Bedroom.

Edited by jagoffee

I have a cruise booked for The end of October 2015 and the Aft suites have been sold out for several months already. Of course it will depend on your actual cruise. I would also not be surprised if people cancel near the final payment date.

I am sailing on the Quantum of the Seas next March. I really wanted to book a grand suite as it comes with good perks and like the size/location. I called RC and they told me that I would be on a weight list.

I mentioned this on a Post- and RC never got back to me, but a cruise critic poster noticed that the cabin became available and as soon as he sent me the reply to topic, I called RC immediately and got the suite!

I think if you really want a special type of cabin, your fellow cruise critic posters are more helpful then the cruise line! I was so happy that the poster gave me the heads up!

Edited by Cruise a holic

I have never stayed in a Celebrity Suite, but I visited one. We would not book one because of the lack of view from the Bedroom.

So, in other words, I should book as soon as the itinerary is announced. :rolleyes: That's probably a little unrealistic for me, unless I were to simply book ahead, reserve my spot and then decide later as to whether I really want to do the trip. Seems a little unfair to cruisers with legitimate plans to do that specific sailing, but booking more than a year out with any reliability is beyond my capability right now.

So, in other words, I should book as soon as the itinerary is announced. :rolleyes: That's probably a little unrealistic for me, unless I were to simply book ahead, reserve my spot and then decide later as to whether I really want to do the trip. Seems a little unfair to cruisers with legitimate plans to do that specific sailing, but booking more than a year out with any reliability is beyond my capability right now.

With the very low, to no deposits (because of the way on board credit is structured) you are best to do it when you are already onboard a cruise. If you want a specific cabin you need to book early or watch inventory closely.

There seems to be two ways to get better pricing on suites (this seems to vary for other cabin types):

1. Book early and get the cabin you want at the generally lower opening prices. They usually rise as they're booked, not many means they book pretty quickly on a lot of cruises.

2. Wait until after final payment, take your chance on the cabin, but book a guaranteed cabin. If you're flexible with sailing date or itinerary you can then generally find the cabin you want.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Why is it unfair that people who make the effort book desirable rooms as soon as they are released? Are you really saying that the cruise line should hold all desirable rooms on every cruise until you are ready to book?

We make the effort to find out when cruises are being released [Cruise Critic is your friend here] and make sure that we book as soon as they are released. We are in the UK where deposits are non-refundable so we have to make sure we understand our commitments for up to 2 years in advance but we do this to get what we want.

Why is it unfair that people who make the effort book desirable rooms as soon as they are released? Are you really saying that the cruise line should hold all desirable rooms on every cruise until you are ready to book?

We make the effort to find out when cruises are being released [Cruise Critic is your friend here] and make sure that we book as soon as they are released. We are in the UK where deposits are non-refundable so we have to make sure we understand our commitments for up to 2 years in advance but we do this to get what we want.

I agree Sue, in the last 10+ years we've only cancelled 1 cruise and it was well before final payment as my partner's daughter decided to get married and we couldn't go.

I think in the U.S., especially with the reduced deposits, people do book cruises they later cancel and hold desirable cabins.

If you every have to cancel after refunds are available, I'll gladly make the sacrafice and use your cabin ;) :D

Happy sailling,

Jenna

With the very low, to no deposits (because of the way on board credit is structured) you are best to do it when you are already onboard a cruise. If you want a specific cabin you need to book early or watch inventory closely.

Good idea. I will have to stop by future reservations desk on this next one.

2. Wait until after final payment, take your chance on the cabin, but book a guaranteed cabin. If you're flexible with sailing date or itinerary you can then generally find the cabin you want.

Can you expand on this? Are you saying to book a guaranteed cabin after the final payment deadline? And then do what? See if what you want is available? How do guaranteed cabins work? What's the difference between that and booking in a particular cabin and switching later? (Sorry if these are dumb questions.)

If you every have to cancel after refunds are available, I'll gladly make the sacrafice and use your cabin ;) :D

Happy sailling,

Jenna

Jenna

I cannot see that happening. If either of us cannot travel, the other would be very tempted to go on their own! At least that is what we threaten each other as the cruise gets closer and there are illnesses flying around the neighbourhood!

We are in the UK where deposits are non-refundable so we have to make sure we understand our commitments for up to 2 years in advance but we do this to get what we want.

That's kind of my point. In the US, where cruise deposits are generally fully REFUNDABLE, it creates an incentive for people to snatch up rooms immediately and hold on to them until a few months before the cruise. But I don't see another way of going about it. So snatch away! :p

Can you expand on this? Are you saying to book a guaranteed cabin after the final payment deadline? And then do what? See if what you want is available? How do guaranteed cabins work? What's the difference between that and booking in a particular cabin and switching later? (Sorry if these are dumb questions.)

Crusie lines often offer category guarantees. That means that within each major cabin category (i.e. inside, ocean view, veranda, concierge, aqua class and suite), you book a "guarantee" cabin which means you do not get assigned a specific cabin or cabin number. The line waits till close into sailing (or whenever they choose to do so) and at that time assigns you to a specific room in the category you "guaranteed" into (or higher in the event they sold out of all cabins in the category you guaranteed). Like inside cabins have multiple sub categories based on low deck, high deck forward, aft, mid ship etc. that all sell for slightly different amounts, the guarantee is usually sold for a slightly discounted amount to the lowest priced subcategory, but you may end up in the best subcategory within the main category.

For example, book a suite guarantee, you may end up in an Sky Suite or the Penthouse suite, all depends on how the bookings go and what's open near sailing, and who chooses to do last minute paid upgrades to open up lesser categories.

Guarantees tend to open after final payment when cancellations happen and the line feels they may not sell all cabins at prevailing rates.

The other thing which I do, is wait till a week or so after cancellations at finsl payment date, and I notice suites tend to lower in price, this is how I scored the Penthouse on my TA, it sold for less after final payment than the royal suites were selling for before final payment. But it's also possible wiring your preferred cabin category may be sold out and no cruise for you....!

Guarantees tend to open after final payment when cancellations happen and the line feels they may not sell all cabins at prevailing rates.

So the guarantee bookings are not available before final payment deadline? Sounds like if you're feeling spontaneous, waiting til after final payment to either 1) check the going rates on suites or 2) booking a guarantee is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're traveling with a group and don't want to take the chance some or all of you won't be able to book at that late date, these options won't work. Did I get the gist?

Jenna

I cannot see that happening. If either of us cannot travel, the other would be very tempted to go on their own! At least that is what we threaten each other as the cruise gets closer and there are illnesses flying around the neighbourhood!

:)

Happy Sailing Sue!

Jenna

So the guarantee bookings are not available before final payment deadline? Sounds like if you're feeling spontaneous, waiting til after final payment to either 1) check the going rates on suites or 2) booking a guarantee is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're traveling with a group and don't want to take the chance some or all of you won't be able to book at that late date, these options won't work. Did I get the gist?

You got the gist. Final payment is about 75 days. Just before, or at, they often open up a garunteed for each category, assuming cancellations and no show. 75 days is still quite a bit of time to plan a trip. It's just hard to count on a specific cabin. If you're happy with a Sky Suite or accessible sky suite, or any of the lowest category cabins within each general category Curt outlines previously, this is a good way to get a good fair. It won't always be as low as the opening fair, but often is lower.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We used Rome In Limo in Rome & Naples and Private Greece Tours in Athens on our trip, both were wonderful to work with and I would use them again if we find ourselves lucky enough to be in those countries on another trip.

I've heard nothing but great things about Rome in Limo and and will definitely be using them in Italy. Thanks for the info on Greece. I'll definitely look into them. I've also heard PK travel is good to work with. Did you happen to stop in Turkey on your cruise? Finding info on private tours there doesn't seem as robust as the other two. I can always go through celebrity too, but thought I'd ask.

I have thought about waiting until after final payment to see if I could get a better deal, but I'm too fearful that I'd miss out on a cabin I really want and don't want to settle. Making reservations this weekend...so excited. You have all been so very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. One of the many reasons I love cruise critic!!

I've heard nothing but great things about Rome in Limo and and will definitely be using them in Italy. Thanks for the info on Greece. I'll definitely look into them. I've also heard PK travel is good to work with. Did you happen to stop in Turkey on your cruise? Finding info on private tours there doesn't seem as robust as the other two. I can always go through celebrity too, but thought I'd ask.

I have thought about waiting until after final payment to see if I could get a better deal, but I'm too fearful that I'd miss out on a cabin I really want and don't want to settle. Making reservations this weekend...so excited. You have all been so very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. One of the many reasons I love cruise critic!!

We took some great private tours in Euphuses and Maramis (to Dylan) and a decent tour in Bodrum. I don't have the details, but I would recommend finding your roll call and seeing what others are doing.

Happy sailing,

Jenn

Did you find people on your roll call to share excursions with? I've heard some people do this and the cost becomes very economical while being on a private tour with a small number of people. That sounds like something that would be advantageous.

Did you find people on your roll call to share excursions with? I've heard some people do this and the cost becomes very economical while being on a private tour with a small number of people. That sounds like something that would be advantageous.

Yes, we did some tours and days on our own, organized some tours we invited others on and, joined other's tours to split up the load and keep it varied. We met some great friends we've visited since our Med Cruise, and will be cruising with others again in Asia.

We'd recommend it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Asia will be my next vacation. That will probably be solo since my husband has no interest. However, he's really excited to do Australia someday. Enjoy your trip to Asia!! I'm sure it will be phenomenal

Asia will be my next vacation. That will probably be solo since my husband has no interest. However, he's really excited to do Australia someday. Enjoy your trip to Asia!! I'm sure it will be phenomenal

The Med, and what are generally port intensive cruises will be a very different experience (it was for us anyway) than the typical Bahamas / Caribbean cruises where each port looks the same. Can you say "Diamond International"? You will have an absolutely wonderful cruise!

I would join your roll call, and start reading, not even waiting until you book!

Happy sailing,

Jenna