Sky suite vs celebrity suite on reflection

sprout76

Hello all! First off, I apologize if this question has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find the answer so I'm hoping someone here could provide some insight.

My husband and I are going to do the 11 Eastern Mediterranean itinerary on reflection next fall for my 40th birthday. I'm trying to decide between the sky suite and the celebrity suite. I know the celebrity suite has a larger balcony and from what I've been reading it sounds like there may be some admittance to a club available to the celebrity suite, but not the sky suite. Is there anything else I'm missing? We've done quite a few Royal Caribbean cruises and I'm pretty familiar with their suites, but I've been very interested in trying celebrity and I LOVE this itinerary. Now I just need to figure out which cabin I want.

Thank you all so much in advance for your input. Anything would be helpful

Also the Sky Suite is really what they call a Jr. Suite on most cruise lines. They don't have a bedroom separate from the "living room". All suites will be getting the suites only restaurant. Celebrity suites and above get the use of Michael's club (along w/ Zenith level cruisers), and the "big girls" like Royal and Penthouse get further benefits like drink packages.

For me, a lover of suites, on Reflection, I'd take an aft corner sky suite over a Celebrity Suite for the cost savings unless access to Michael's Club is important to you. I can't give an opinion as to sky suites not at corner aft, as I have not been in one of those yet, but based on floor plan on line, think I would still take one over the Celebrity Suite.

However that said, if a Royal suite were an option and in budget, I'd definitely take the royal over a sky. :D

I love the celebrity suite on the M class ships however.

The celebrity suite on S class is just very tight in its configuration, although the bed is in a separate room that has no windows and is dark (well a paper screen like "window" into the living room). It has a larger seating areas with the L shaped sectional couch, but just feels tight to me, where the aft sky suites felt roomy, but had less seating, but still a nice bathroom with jetted tub and shower combo, as in the Celebrity suite.

To me the Celebrity suite on S class seems the same size as a typical hotel room, however they just stuck walls up tight to the nightstands and close to the foot of bed with just enough room to walk past, to wall it off from the rest of the room. The sky suites lacking these tightly placed walls, feels more open.

With the caveat that I have not been in either a Sky Suite nor Celebrity Suite on an S-class ship, I have to say that I cannot understand the point of the S-class CS. [The CS on an M-class ship is a wonderful suite.] The translucent walls of the S-class CS seem pointless and there is no dining table. cle-guy has confirmed my suspicions that there is little spare space in the S-class CS.

The only advantage over the Sky Suite would appear to be the access to Michael's Club. The OP should probably read the threads there are about Michael's Club and see if it is worth the additional cost to them. It may be that, for a special birthday celebration, it is worth it. I will not experience the new use of Michael's Club until later this year but I value what I have read of the concierge there. To have someone around to sort out the issues you usually need to queue at Guest Relations for would have been worth a great deal on a number of cruises.

I agree with Curt regarding his assessment as well as Sue. While the CS is a wonderful cabin, and very unlikely to disappoint, for the savings, I'd prefer the Sky Suite on an aft corner for their spacious feel and sunny balcony (providing ample sun into the room). As we do not like dark rooms, except maybe for sleeping, I would avoid any Sky Suite under the overhang (any on deck 12 except on the "hump").

As Curt said, if you can swing it the RS would be a big and wonderful jump up, as it comes with a premium beverage package (you can exchange one offered for additional on board credit), free unlimited internet, free unlimited specialty dining, daily restocked mini bar with bear, wine and soda, and couple of bottles of alcohol. The cabin also has a proper, full height dining room table, something we found lacking in the CS on every S-class ship, though there is one on the balcony. As has been said, the Sky Suite is more of a junior suite with a butler, and is also lacking an in room table for dining.

As far as the different benefits of the different cabins for your sailing, this will answer many of the questions you have:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/C...uites_FAQs.pdf

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

We had the corner aft sky suite in March and loved the room.I thought it was alittle too windy and loud being under the ocean view cafe.We booked next year one deck down and one room over on the Equinox .Love the aft rooms.It is a bit of a walk to the elevator but the exercise is good. :D

I've been in both on a cabin crawl and LOVED the CS so much that we are booked in one for our TA next year. I LOVE the separate bedroom, albeit small it's still a separate bedroom. The bathroom has entrances from both the bedroom and the living area, which is nice too. The living area is very nice, with a sectional sofa. No, there is not a dining table but the balcony, which is quite large has a table big enough to seat 4 and you could have any meals served out there, which we intend to do. I would have LOVED it for a Med cruise when the weather is generally balmy, what a great way to have cocktails and dinner. For me it would be the CS everytime....

I agree with Curt and Jenna. (Although I don't think the sky suites have a jetted tub.)

I have stayed in both a corner aft and a straight sky suite. Both are great. We are a mom and daughter traveling and bc the set up in the straight suite is better for opening the sleeper sofa with room to move around, we have been choosing this lately and being a S2 (still an aft) you pay less. The aft suite was definitely tighter with the sofa open. Since you will not be opening the sofa, I would go with the aft corner Sky suite knowing that you do get less closet space bc of the configuration. There are tons of drawers and cabinets..though they are spread out all over the cabin.

So, I concur, Sky Suite or Royal. Skip the Celeb Suite.

Cheers

Edited by jenniebnyc

You have all been incredibly helpful. I would love to take advantage of eating in our cabin/ balcony on this cruise since it is so port intensive. So I may have to look at really splurging and booking and RS. With all the additional benefits and a table in the cabin it may just be worth it. Quick question.... Do both people in the cabin get the premium beverage package? I'm assuming that would be the case.

I know some people question the thought of getting a suite for such a port intensive cruise, but I really do think we would enjoy having the additional space and extras for 11 nights.

Thanks again for all the input. It has been very helpful

For me, a lover of suites, on Reflection, I'd take an aft corner sky suite over a Celebrity Suite for the cost savings unless access to Michael's Club is important to you. I can't give an opinion as to sky suites not at corner aft, as I have not been in one of those yet, but based on floor plan on line, think I would still take one over the Celebrity Suite.

However that said, if a Royal suite were an option and in budget, I'd definitely take the royal over a sky. :D

I love the celebrity suite on the M class ships however.

The celebrity suite on S class is just very tight in its configuration, although the bed is in a separate room that has no windows and is dark (well a paper screen like "window" into the living room). It has a larger seating areas with the L shaped sectional couch, but just feels tight to me, where the aft sky suites felt roomy, but had less seating, but still a nice bathroom with jetted tub and shower combo, as in the Celebrity suite.

To me the Celebrity suite on S class seems the same size as a typical hotel room, however they just stuck walls up tight to the nightstands and close to the foot of bed with just enough room to walk past, to wall it off from the rest of the room. The sky suites lacking these tightly placed walls, feels more open.

You have all been incredibly helpful. I would love to take advantage of eating in our cabin/ balcony on this cruise since it is so port intensive. So I may have to look at really splurging and booking and RS. With all the additional benefits and a table in the cabin it may just be worth it. Quick question.... Do both people in the cabin get the premium beverage package? I'm assuming that would be the case.

I know some people question the thought of getting a suite for such a port intensive cruise, but I really do think we would enjoy having the additional space and extras for 11 nights.

Thanks again for all the input. It has been very helpful

Actually, everyone officially booked into the cabin gets the perks. If they're under drinking age, they get the non alcohol package for the drink package benefit.

It's all about how much you'd like to spend, what is important to you, and how important the perks and pampering are.

We've booked everything from Sky Suit to Royal Suite and haven't been disappointed yet exept on Century in a Sky Suite.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

The CS on the S class is nice if you can get one of the four that have the deeper angled balcony. We now prefer this over the RS which has a waste of space on the balcony with the oversized bathtub. The CS is the perfect size. :) Haven't tried a SS.

Edited by cruisingator2

This is a really good point. The deck plan for Reflection may differ here a bit. The forward facing larger balconies are 1223 and 1122 on deck 10 and 1615 and 1638 on Deck 11 which are rear facing.

On Equinox and other S-Class ships, they are 1233 & 1110 and 1615 & 1618.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Cruisingator 2... Fantastic pics. Thank you so much for sharing. That balcony definitely looks great. I see you did a Med cruise....did you do the ports on your own or did you get private excursions?

Glad you saw his pics. I've stayed in a RS on Equinox and visited in the CS on same ship. I have no idea why some think it isn't roomy, it is....especially those with the angled balconies. If I had an endless supply of money I suppose I would book the RS again but the CS is a great room and has much more to offer, in my opinion, than a SS and is almost far less money than a RS.

On our Med cruise, which is where we were in the RS we did private excursions almost exclusively...they are generally less expensive and much better than the "big bus" tours that the cruiselines usually offer. Whatever you do, hope you have a wonderful cruise!!:)

Edited by Gracie115

Glad you saw his pics. I've stayed in a RS on Equinox and visited in the CS on same ship. I have no idea why some think it isn't roomy, it is....especially those with the angled balconies. If I had an endless supply of money I suppose I would book the RS again but the CS is a great room and has much more to offer, in my opinion, than a SS and is almost far less money than a RS.

On our Med cruise, which is where we were in the RS we did private excursions almost exclusively...they are generally less expensive and much better than the "big bus" tours that the cruiselines usually offer. Whatever you do, hope you have a wonderful cruise!!:)

I'm not saying it is a bad cabin, far from it, it is pretty large. Our feeling is most of the cabin is taken up by furniture, walls, etc. In a CS on a M-Class or an RS on an S-Class, they feel much more open. While the cabin is very nice, the RS on an M-Class has much more furniture and not as much of the open layout, big windows you get in the CS on M-class. The same way some people like open kitchen to living room designs, this is a preference. The Sky Suite feels very open, but is much smaller than the other multi-room suites.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We haven't been in a Celebrity Suite but we wouldn't, because of the reasons stated. We book the corner aft S1 suites and love them. We don't like the top deck, we get one down. On Equinox and Eclipse it's the Penthouse deck and the cabins 1666 and 1663 are our favorites. Haven't been on Reflection but I'm guessing the numbers are different.

With the cost savings over CS, you can spend your $$ elsewhere. Michael's Club suite access is of no importance to us and you still get the suite restaurant.

Have a great cruise.

Not sure if the perks vary from cruise to cruise, but in a CS on a recent TA, we received lots of perks in the form of coupons left in our room. Examples, 3 free cocktails per person each night between 5 and 7pm, 3 hours free Internet, 20% discount on a bottle of wine, etc.

The RS looks fantastic although I'm not sure it's worth the $6000 difference. I love the idea of all the extras and pampering, but I could probably get the shore excursions and a lot of other things. I think I'll definitely be between the CS 1615 and one of the corner aft sky suites. Although, it is a special trip and my husband doesn't like to travel so we don't take many vacations. I just may go for the RS and be completely spoiled:D

I've read about some private excursions and that seems the way to go. We will spend a few days in Rome pre cruise and really looking forward to the overnight in Istanbul. So, regardless of the suite I pick I know this cruise will be amazing

Not sure if the perks vary from cruise to cruise, but in a CS on a recent TA, we received lots of perks in the form of coupons left in our room. Examples, 3 free cocktails per person each night between 5 and 7pm, 3 hours free Internet, 20% discount on a bottle of wine, etc.

It is pretty standard, though not always provided, to get invited to the Elite events and get two pages worth of Elite coupons (two 90 min of free internet, drink coupons instead of elite events, etc) in CS, RS, PH and the suites on Reflection. I haven't seen these perks in a Sky Suite.

Tonia,

You'll have an amazing trip regardless of which suite you choose, so many amazing places in the Med. Istanbul is suprisingly neat and clean for a city of 15 million people and we visited a number of totally non tourist locations.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I'm not saying it is a bad cabin, far from it, it is pretty large. Our feeling is most of the cabin is taken up by furniture, walls, etc. In a CS on a M-Class or an RS on an S-Class, they feel much more open. While the cabin is very nice, the RS on an M-Class has much more furniture and not as much of the open layout, big windows you get in the CS on M-class. The same way some people like open kitchen to living room designs, this is a preference. The Sky Suite feels very open, but is much smaller than the other multi-room suites.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I do get the difference between the 2 CS on M & S class. We were in one on Summit many years ago and it IS a wonderful suite and certainly more roomy than the S class CS, except of course the balcony which is wonderful on the S class and while just added on the M class, very small and narrow. I just think it is a great value for the money, a much better option for space/privacy than the SS AND now gets the added perks of the upper suites that the SS does not. But to each his own and its great that we all have choices!!! :)

The RS looks fantastic although I'm not sure it's worth the $6000 difference. I love the idea of all the extras and pampering, but I could probably get the shore excursions and a lot of other things. I think I'll definitely be between the CS 1615 and one of the corner aft sky suites. Although, it is a special trip and my husband doesn't like to travel so we don't take many vacations. I just may go for the RS and be completely spoiled:D

I've read about some private excursions and that seems the way to go. We will spend a few days in Rome pre cruise and really looking forward to the overnight in Istanbul. So, regardless of the suite I pick I know this cruise will be amazing

We used Rome In Limo in Rome & Naples and Private Greece Tours in Athens on our trip, both were wonderful to work with and I would use them again if we find ourselves lucky enough to be in those countries on another trip.