Guest Services Training & Updates?

PinotBlanc

Judy -- I read that review, and I remember thinking the same thing myself. My late aunt, who I never heard utter one swear word, would say things like "He made me so made, I could just .... shoot him!" And then she'd laugh at herself for getting so "aggravated". ;)

But, as most folks on here have noted, the world was a different place, back then. Now, just about everything you say is "on the record", somewhere. :eek: Especially when dealing with professionals (for whom English may or may not be a first language), it's probably wiser to leave colloquialisms and hyperbole out of the conversation. :cool:

+1. I call this the "Post-Columbine Age." You would think in the past 15 years people would have learned by now to avoid certain figures of speech, such as "I'll kill you" or "I'll kill myself" when they get upset. The world has changed.

I was once in the veranda cabin next to a young man who was threatening to kill himself - screaming out on the balcony as we pulled in to San Juan. Throwing furniture in his room. Of course I called security - seems he had reported to the ship's Dr. on the very 1st night with a "stomach ache" - guess what happened - 1st day and 1st port and he is confined to his cabin and he was going nuts. He must have calmed down and gotten more reasonable because they allowed him to stay in his veranda cabin. In todays world you had better weigh your words carefully - upset, frustrated, stress out, mad - because it can cause ramifications that are very unpleasant no matter what a person's age.

I think there was a misunderstanding on the ladies part referenced in the review between the terms "Agua Café" and "Blu" and her question as to if others could join her in the "Aqua Café" should have been the dining room "Blu".

When on the ship and her mistake became apparent, rather than owning the problem she demanded a policy change to meet her "wants" and when she didn't get the expected change, it became a bad Customer Experience issue.

I really hope as previously mentioned that Celebrity has lost their business as I too have no need to meet these people on a cruise.

Some people simply have an entitlement attitude and regardless of the policy or rules expect their demands to be met...........and met RIGHT NOW !!!

I just don't know how anyone can give the person who threatened to shoot someone any sympathy. In an airport, that would lead to jail time right then and there. Probably in the cruise terminal the same thing - off to the pokey. Anyone who can actually resort to using those words, suggesting they are going to kill somebody, is not right in their head, and should be considered dangerous.

Yes there is screening for weapons yet people can and do get thru screening for dangerous articles. Airports had metal detectors on 9/11/01 and look how that went, it led to even more enhanced screening policies. Ever look at he Security Checkpoints in airports, where screening is FAR MORE intense at the items they find, or read the reports where more times than not they fail to find banned items when doing internal testing of the systems? Scanning of baggage and personnel is but one point of protecting the ship and its passengers, another part is observing behavior, and behavior of someone saying "I'm gong to kill someone" is not appropriate behavior, and leads them to be suspect. They should have been happy to be simply followed, and not placed in a cabin for the duration of the voyage or disembarked at the next port. I imagine the Code of Conduct prohibits threading another individual while on board.

If someone says I'm going to kill myself, should the ship just let them wander freely or should they take precautions (they take precautions by the way, had it happen to someone on one of my TA cruses in the group I was traveling with - reassigned from veranda to inside cabin with security at the cabin door).

Words have meaning, if you choose to use certain words and combinations of words, be prepared for the consequences of the use of those words.

Curt we don't always agree but this time I believe you are right on. Words should consequences.

This is my opinion only. I do think the guess relations people take a lot of abuse. People are screaming at them from the word go. Not even giving the rep a chance to respond.

On the flip side, I have never has a pleasant experience with the desk. Biggest problem is my card looses its magnetic strip. They look at me like I am a criminal do something behind the desk say its fixed... go to my cabin and guess what it doesn't work, back to guest relations, and the big sigh when the rep sees you in line again. Again explaining the card is not working,

then they will make a new card.

We were on the Reflection in November and had an issue with a specialty dining charge, which in my opinion could have been handled in a call. However 6 days later and at least 5 visits to guest relations was very frustrating. In the end it was fixed, however such a waste of time for us to keep checking and them telling us it was fixed when it was not.

If I can avoid the guest relations desk at any cost I will.

Norma

On the flip side, I have never has a pleasant experience with the desk. Biggest problem is my card looses its magnetic strip. They look at me like I am a criminal do something behind the desk say its fixed... go to my cabin and guess what it doesn't work, back to guest relations, and the big sigh when the rep sees you in line again. Again explaining the card is not working,

then they will make a new card.

If I can avoid the guest relations desk at any cost I will.

Norma

Norma, if you are like me, you probably don't have a purse without two (or ten) magnetic clasps. Those are the kiss-of-death on the ship card's magnetic strips! :eek: I also found that, on the few occasions (US ports) where I can have my phone on -- well, you get the idea. :rolleyes:

I've sheepishly gone down to the GR desk to have my card re-magnetized, and never gotten any attitude from the folks there. But if I ever did, I would have a conversation with the GR manager about why X hasn't joined the 21st century, and gone with RFID chips in their Seapass cards. You're the customer -- even if you're not always right -- you can be right, some of the time! ;)

Yes, I saw the thread yesterday. Didn't have a chance to read the review.

The words "bully" and "followers" came to mind.

Overnight, I decided to visit the review.

My reason for starting this thread is to object to the way Guest Services handled the situation thus having the situation become frustrating for the passenger.

Penny

I absolutely disagree. That passenger was asking for something she wasn't entitled to, and although I wasn't there, when I read the review I concluded that she had an "attitude" about the whole thing. People can ask for exceptions all they want, but on a ship or in any large organization granting exceptions leads to massive problems because everyone then expects an exception.

If the reviewer's mother didn't want to be singled out by security, she should have handled the situation with more grace and dignity on the ship. I don't buy the "little old lady" defense. My mother is an 82 year old June Cleaver who never hurt a flea, and she knows better than to use the word "shoot" when dealing with a situation, even if it is just a figure of speech.

I dunno....I guess I must be living a charmed life. We've taken at least 15 cruises with Celebrity and more than three times that many on RCCL, and I have never had an issue with customer service. There have been occasions where I have had problems, but they were always resolved in a timely fashion and to my satisfaction and then some. I always wonder when reading comments about the terrible service and the awful staff what some people expect. I guess you just can't make some people happy.

I would imagine that you approach the desk with a pleasant look on your face, use please and thank you, and generally avoid disparaging remarks about the guest services person who is trying to help you. Therefore, you get treated the same way!:)

Sadly, I've seen an awfully lot of people on ships who seem to think the staff are their indentured servants. The guest services people take a lot of abuse, and then we wonder why they seem defensive at times.:confused:

I've never been treated with anything but courtesy and concern when I've had to go to the desk for something. Some of the employees are more competent and resourceful than others, but none have ever been rude or abrupt.

Wow.. i'm impressed that i see so many posts defending the Guest Relations staff.

I was reading the review and the only reason i could see for the lady to be followed by security was that she said that over the phone. That's what i understood from the review. I can imagine the person on the phone hearing that and advising the ship that someone managed to sneak in a gun onboard and is threatening to use it.

Also my question is: was the desk so busy that the Assistant Manager was there helping? On Solstice Class they have what? 5 spots for the staff plus concierge. She said that she spoke with the Assistant Manager. Usually they only come to speak if it is very busy or the guest is demanding to speak to a supervisor.. my experience tell me that the moment you demand for a supervisor you get a kind of "trouble maker" flag around the staff and they get defensive on the way they handle you..:)

safe and calm seas for all!

When the person in front of you in guest services is throwing a fit, try to catch the guest services/ customer service person's eye and give them the I feel so sorry for you - I can't believe they're acting like that look.

When it's your turn explain your situation almost apologetically giving your I'm so sorry to bother you while your working look... and you'll get whatever you want.:p

The words "please", "thank you", "it's no hurry" and "I appreciate you" also help.

Right on! I've been in customer service my entire life (happily recently retired) and the polite customers are always easier to work with if there's a problem. When they're not yelling in my face it's easier to think fast and figure out how to fix the problem quickly.

It's the nasty one's that will take longer when they go on and on.

I've had things thrown at me, been cursed at and physically assaulted.

But it's always better to receive big thank yous and letters of praise when a customer has been helped quickly and to their satisfaction.

So why would I want to make things worse by not doing my job?

It's called customer service.

Of course there are legitimate reasons why a person should be frustrated or angry when the company causes a problem for whatever reason, but the polite, calmer ones are usually the ones that walk away knowing their issue has been taken care of quickly.

And I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I'm retired now so what the heck.:p

The nicer ones sometimes receive an extra perk when possible.

The nasty ones very often get assigned seat 33E. ;)

When the person in front of you in guest services is throwing a fit, try to catch the guest services/ customer service person's eye and give them the I feel so sorry for you - I can't believe they're acting like that look.

When it's your turn explain your situation almost apologetically giving your I'm so sorry to bother you while your working look... and you'll get whatever you want.:p

The words "please", "thank you", "it's no hurry" and "I appreciate you" also help.

Regarding the review, I don't know. I wasn't there.

I give two thumbs up for CandyCaramel's approach.

Other ways to get good results:

1) Visit Guest Services when they aren't busy

2) Leave when they have a person "throwing a fit"

3) Leave the details of a problem at the desk with your name and cabin #, ask for a copy, and wait for the reply.

I agree the noise in the Atrium and handling problems can get to a person.

Project yourself to the position behind the desk and enjoy the sea.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

Any remark or threat today cannot be taken lightly. Can you imagine if they just brushed it off and something happened?

About 30 years ago we were flying out of Metro Airport in Detroit after there was a fatal air crash upon take off. We were on a charter to Las Vegas. My cousin told the flight attendant to tell the pilot to make sure that the flaps were down, ( may be up as I Dotn know where they shold be but that was the cause of the crash). A few moments later the pilot came to him and asked if he had a problem, and if he did he could get off right now.

On another flight what we were on to Vegas a rather late bully lite up a cigar. The flight attendant told him that cigar smoking was not permitted. He informed her intact he was bigger than she was and he could do what he wanted and was going to rearrange her body. A few minutes later one of the flight officers approached him and apologized for the attendants rude behavior and offered him a "free" drink. He accepted, drank it and then passed out. The plane made a unscheduled stop and he was carried off.

Another time on a flight someone cause a disturbance and got into a confrontation. The plane made a unscheduled stop because of technical difficulties. We were told that everyone needed to get off the plane to move to another. As we were walking down the hallway it seemed as if the walls opened up and Ninjas jumped out onto that person. Everyone else got back on board and we continued on the flight.

No threat can be taken lightly.

Happy sailings 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅