Oh no not another tipping thread

I don't have the most current amounts. This is what the breakdown was before the $0.35 increase in March 2013:

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 if in a GS or above)

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

$11.65pp per day ($13.90pp per day if booked in a GS or above)

CLOSE TO royals numbers

I think $10 a day is bit much for housekeeping. The cabins are small and they don't change the sheets everyday unless strongly requested. I always tip housekeeping at hotels and it's usually $3-5 a day depending on the room size and number of beds. More if I have a multi room suite. I would also like to be able to provide the waitstaff such gratuities as I feel are deserved, not a preset amount. Additionally, we may only eat on the MDR 3 nights maybe 4. Between restaurants and WJ we can 'eat out ' half the cruise. In 3 prior cruises we have never had breakfast or lunch in the MDR either.

Again, if they want the passengers to offset the low wages they pay, either raise the price or call it a mandatory service charge.

What are State Room Attendants required to do in addition to the housekeepers who clean the cabin and the head, make beds, provide fresh towels daily? I think that their service charge is a bit much for saying hello when they see you.

If you make requests of their services, like shoe shines, lounge chairs for the balcony, getting mixers and liquor, then they certainly should receive a gratuity. But their function is to make the passengers stay as welcoming as possible. That's their job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by heyabbott

Thanks to the folks that answered my question. No thanks to the person that did not and only stated what he thinks. I guess I add one more to my ignore list.

LOL! You've been a member here for a decade. You know that some people who reply to a thread do not directly answer the question, but may offer up their opinion and thoughts. We're allowed to do that - that's the purpose of these forums. :) Do you put everyone on ignore who does that? Goodness. :p :D

LOL! You've been a member here for a decade. You know that some people who reply to a thread do not directly answer the question, but may offer up their opinion and thoughts. We're allowed to do that - that's the purpose of these forums. :) Do you put everyone on ignore who does that? Goodness. :p :D

I do have a few and I suppose quite a few have me on theirs.

The Housekeeping Department is responsible for ensuring that the cabins, rooms, and related services are carried out smoothly to the satisfaction of the passengers. The Housekeeping on the ships is the same as in any five/seven star hotels on land. The department is divided into two main divisions, (i) one division looks after the comfort of he passengers in their rooms and cabins, and (ii) the other looks after the cleaning of the general areas of the ship. The laundry section supports both these divisions and functions 24x7.

What does the cabin attendant do that housekeeping does not

The Housekeeping Department is responsible for ensuring that the cabins, rooms, and related services are carried out smoothly to the satisfaction of the passengers. The Housekeeping on the ships is the same as in any five/seven star hotels on land. The department is divided into two main divisions, (i) one division looks after the comfort of he passengers in their rooms and cabins, and (ii) the other looks after the cleaning of the general areas of the ship. The laundry section supports both these divisions and functions 24x7.

Thank you, I didn't know the cabin attendants performed housekeeping function in the cabins.

Effective March 1, 2013

To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis.

This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and other Housekeeping Services Personnel ($1.35) that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

$6.80 Dining Service

$3.85 Stateroom Attendant……………)$7.45 for GS and Above

$1.35 Other Housekeeping Personnel…)

$12.00

Edited by cruisenfever

.....Additionally, we may only eat on the MDR 3 nights maybe 4. Between restaurants and WJ we can 'eat out ' half the cruise. In 3 prior cruises we have never had breakfast or lunch in the MDR.....

Many folks don't eat in the MDR period, but that doesn't mean that you don't grab a cup of iced tea here, or soft ice cream there, piece of pizza in place of dinner. Those folks that serve you in the MDR serve you throughout the ship--even if you don't happen to witness it.

We've gone on two week cruises and never stepped foot into the MDR other than one salad bar lunch. We wouldn't dream of removing the MINIMUM tipping amounts.

We purposely select MTD so it is all taken care of before we leave.

I'm surprised people are still paying tips based on piece work. You'd have to do a lot of your own washing of dishes, cleaning out your own toilets, emptying out the garbage, etc., to make up for the couple of bucks that they request.

Hi OP,

I'm one of the few holdouts that still tips in cash by removing the daily auto gratuities. I use the tipping guidelines listed at the link below to break down the tips by person instead of department. It works out to be a few cents less daily (this is the list from 2012), but I always add an additional 20-50 percent extra to those amounts depending on service received so the small difference doesn't really matter in my case. Hope this helps.

http://blog.cruises-n-more.com/2012/02/wondering-about-the-gratuity-guidelines-for-cruises-here%E2%80%99s-what-royal-caribbean-says-and-recommends/

Neda