Carnival Splendor Steakhouse - Save Your Money

cruisernbn05

We have eaten in the Steak House on the Magic 3 times. The first time was Great!! The second time we had the server from Hell !! She was so bad that the manager took over after she was overheard by another server !! (I tend to just keep quiet, suck it up, and not go back). We decided to try again on our last cruise and the steak was horrible. I couldn't cut it with the knife. The waitstaff took the uneaten steak away without comment, and they had not inquired as to how it was after service. We will not be trying the venue again.

For those considering dining in the Carnival Splendor Pinnacle steakhouse, below please find my experience dining in the steakhouse on July 21, 2014. This review is based on our dining experience - no flaming, please. :)

Upon arriving at the steakhouse, there was no one to seat us. Even though staff saw us waiting, it took at least five minutes for someone (the steakhouse manager) to come out of a back room to seat us (none of the wait staff notified her that we were waiting). We were the only ones waiting.

The service in the steakhouse was the worst I have ever experienced in a specialty restaurant (25 cruises and at least 25 specialty restaurants). The waiter and waitress never introduced themselves as to who was the waiter and the assistant waiter. We had no idea who was responsible for what.

When my husband tried to order a ginger beer, the waitress had no idea what he was talking about. Instead, my husband went with a regular beer. 15 minutes later our drinks arrived. When we ordered the second round of drinks, they were delivered promptly but my Coke was a Diet Coke. The waiter stated that he told the bartender a Coke – I told him it was no problem, the bartender must have made a mistake and could he kindly replace the Diet Coke with a Coke (I cannot tolerate aspartame). This was done grudgingly (I am not sure why).

As for the food, the shrimp in my husband's shrimp cocktail were slightly larger than those served in the main dining room. From the look and taste, it was obvious that they were previously frozen and thawed, not cooked (very different than the very large, very plump shrimp he was served on the Carnival Sunshine six weeks prior). The crab cake, even though filled with crab, was dry (the crab cake the next night in the dining room was much better, even with less crab). My French onion soup was burnt – when the waitress came back and I told her it was burnt, there was no offer of another. The Caesar salad was bland. The worst part was my husband's strip loin. After the first few bites, the steak was too tough to cut with a knife, never mind trying to chew it. After trying to navigate the steak, he gave up. No one checked on us after serving the meal until 30 minutes later.

When the waiter came back and asked how the meal was, my husband told him that his steak was terrible (extremely tough). The waiter had no comment and just took our plates away. The steakhouse manager then arrived at the table to ask why my husband did not send the steak back (my husband, unlike I, has never sent a meal back in his life). My husband said that, at this point, it was not worth it. The steakhouse manager did offer another steak but my husband no longer wanted it after the bad taste the current one left in his mouth nor did he want to wait another 30 minutes for another meal to be cooked. The steakhouse manager said okay and walked away. Never did she mention that she would see what she could do to rectify the situation nor did she apologize for the terrible cut of beef that was served.

After she walked away, I told my husband that I was not paying full price for his mostly horrendous meal (we had eaten in the Carnival Sunshine steakhouse six weeks prior and enjoyed a fabulous meal). I told my husband that we would go to Guest Services and complain (as the steakhouse manager did not seem to care to make it right). It was at this point that male waiter came over and asked about our dessert order (and overheard our conversation).

The next thing I know, the steakhouse manager comes over and states, "There is no reason to go to Guest Services. I am handling it here and checking to see what can be done." I was mortified that, not only did the waiter tell her the conversation that was overheard, but instead of coming back and apologizing for the meal and possibly offering some type of compensation, she treated me like a three year old child being spied upon by her staff – absolutely unacceptable!!!!

The steakhouse manager did come back and offer my husband his meal for free, which we did accept. At this point, the meal was ruined, I was extremely upset and all I wanted to do was get the check and get out (the heck with dessert). After waiting another 15 minutes for the check (at which point we were ready to just walk out - they had our sail and sign number for the charges), the steakhouse manager brings the check to us along with a Happy Anniversary dessert and candles (was the waiter too embarrassed to bring us the check, since he listened in on our conversation, reported it to the steakhouse manager and she came out and told us that we were overhead?). I could not believe that, after berating me like a three year old child, the steakhouse manager would bring out a dessert for our anniversary - absolutely, positively unacceptable. I refused to blow out the candles on the dessert (as this was no longer a celebration but a train wreck). My husband pinched them out and we went on our way.

If I had let it, this experience would have ruined our entire cruise. Instead, I went outside, cooled off and we then enjoyed the rest of our evening (and our cruise). The free meal was not worth the aggravation. As long as the current steakhouse manager is still in that role, I will never dine in this steakhouse again.

In any restaurant, whether it is Denny's or Ruth Chris an individual may have a poor experience. It seemed that your expectations were not met. However, it does appear by your comments that the staff did take note and try to rectify the situtation.

I am very critical of Carnival at times. But in this instance, it does appear that Carnival did not your "poor" service and they tried to fix it. I am not sure why you continued to be upset to the point that it threatend to ruin you whole cruise.

It surprises me to see how many repliers of this post do not immediately tell the manager of their negative experience. Especially if the steak is not good. I am sure the manager would want to know right away to quickly rectify the situation. It is too late to complain to Guest Servces after the meal is over.

Sorry you didn't have an enjoyable experience.

I've dined in Carnival steakhouses many times and have never received bad service or food. Hopefully your experience was a fluke. At least they didn't charge you for the meal that you were dissatisfied with.

I think it's too bad the OP had a bad experience in the Steakhouse, they deserved to be treated better.

However, I don't think their experience is typical and to advise everyone to "Save Your Money" based on their one experience is wrong.

I also agree with others that if they were talking loud enough about their displeasure for a waiter to hear, I would expect the waiter to relay any negative information back to management.

And frankly the manager was correct in advising them not to go to Guest Services. All GS would have done is contact the Steakhouse to ask them to consider some form of compensation, which is the responsibility of the Steakhouse manager not GS.

It surprises me to see how many repliers of this post do not immediately tell the manager of their negative experience. Especially if the steak is not good. I am sure the manager would want to know right away to quickly rectify the situation. It is too late to complain to Guest Servces after the meal is over.

Exactly. I worked in a restaurant and management wants to know when you are unhappy. If they don't they are in the wrong job.

I for one will politely tell the server when I have a bad piece of meat or cold food or coffee in a heartbeat. Too many people try to suffer through a lousy meal without saying something and I just don't understand why.

I will say I have read more than one negative review of the Carnival Steakhouse's so for the nay sayer's here it is possible to have a lousy experience there.

On another site i belong to i was told by several people not to miss the Steakhouse on the Splendor so your experience was of the minority....sorry you had a bad time. Im not doing it anyway though cause i booked the Chef's Table.

Edited by JerseyshoreBruce

I have been on the Splendor twice this year and are looking at a 3rd in the Fall. Have eaten in the Pinnacle Steakhouse 4 times in that time and loved every bite, second of service and the overall experience!

Can I just say that not every meal is going to be fantastic and everyone has different experiences. The OP said they had a bad experience and wanted to share...just like any restaurant on land! I can totally believe that they had a bad meal. The manager didnt handle the situation well. Not every single meal can be perfect even at the highest quality of restaurants. Carnival is allowed to make mistakes - no one is perfect! Every restaurant has good qualities and bad qualities - sometimes they will mess up. I think its crazy to think that the OP would troll and then have everyone try and make them validate who they are...if it upsets you that much, dont answer.

OP - sorry you had a bad experience but one in 25 makes for pretty good odds! Hope you enjoy your next steakhouse meal on a future cruise.

Funny I guess we were on the same cruise. I agree, we ate there on the 28th. The manger was the worst and so was our waiter

1. I asked for creaser salad for the table and saw it said "traditional presentation". I asked the waiter to prepared it table side and was told no. I questioned her about the "traditional presentation" and was told its prepared in the kitchen. We get severed a warm creaser salad (salad should be cold). 5min later I see a table across the way getting creaser salad prepared at the at the, ***!!!'

2. Most of the table ordered the onion soup and it was not edible, it was burnt and over reduced, mine had no onions in it. My daughter said it best "she has had better soup in a dinner"

3. 2 of us ordered the lobster tails. On bite into the over done tails and I taste citrus. I ask the head chef and was told that is how there prepare it along with citrus butter (menu said nothing about either). Never in my life have I ordered lobster and had it ruined like they did. The steaks that were ordered were good.

4. I ordered cream spinach, I get wilted spinach in a bowl with cream soup, are you kidding me. The main dining room severed cream spinach and it was as expected chopped and in a thick cream.

5. The cheese cake was the worst I have tasted, it was room temp and thanks for the jumbo slice that no one would eat. leaving I see the cake sitting on a rack room temp.

Now the best, the manager should be fired. After the salad and soup problems I went out to speak with her. She tells me the salad should have been prepared table side, never said she was sorry, just who was your waiter. Next she has the nerve to tell me the she has tasted the soup and likes it like that.

I make another trip out after the lobster. I was lied too and told the menu said citrus butter, I ask to see the menu "drawn clarified butter". She then asks me what would I like her to do about it because if I eat my food I must pay (who says that). I said that I wanted both lobster tails replaced (no citrus anything). She comes over to the table and says "looks like you ate some so we can not replace it" my mouth was left hanging open.

On the way out she has the nerve to say "thank you" I replied "your cheese cake sucks also". She did nothing, nothing corrected, not money taken off, she needs to be fired period

Funny I guess we were on the same cruise. I agree, we ate there on the 28th. The manger was the worst and so was our waiter

1. I asked for creaser salad for the table and saw it said "traditional presentation". I asked the waiter to prepared it table side and was told no. I questioned her about the "traditional presentation" and was told its prepared in the kitchen. We get severed a warm creaser salad (salad should be cold). 5min later I see a table across the way getting creaser salad prepared at the at the, ***!!!'

2. Most of the table ordered the onion soup and it was not edible, it was burnt and over reduced, mine had no onions in it. My daughter said it best "she has had better soup in a dinner"

3. 2 of us ordered the lobster tails. On bite into the over done tails and I taste citrus. I ask the head chef and was told that is how there prepare it along with citrus butter (menu said nothing about either). Never in my life have I ordered lobster and had it ruined like they did. The steaks that were ordered were good.

4. I ordered cream spinach, I get wilted spinach in a bowl with cream soup, are you kidding me. The main dining room severed cream spinach and it was as expected chopped and in a thick cream.

5. The cheese cake was the worst I have tasted, it was room temp and thanks for the jumbo slice that no one would eat. leaving I see the cake sitting on a rack room temp.

Now the best, the manager should be fired. After the salad and soup problems I went out to speak with her. She tells me the salad should have been prepared table side, never said she was sorry, just who was your waiter. Next she has the nerve to tell me the she has tasted the soup and likes it like that.

I make another trip out after the lobster. I was lied too and told the menu said citrus butter, I ask to see the menu "drawn clarified butter". She then asks me what would I like her to do about it because if I eat my food I must pay (who says that). I said that I wanted both lobster tails replaced (no citrus anything). She comes over to the table and says "looks like you ate some so we can not replace it" my mouth was left hanging open.

On the way out she has the nerve to say "thank you" I replied "your cheese cake sucks also". She did nothing, nothing corrected, not money taken off, she needs to be fired period

Wow, maybe we should fire everybody. :eek: Nice comment about the cheese cake btw. :confused: They really should just execute these people.

only had lousy service and bad steaks in the steak houses I have been on(Pride, Splendor, Dream, Magic)I have also been on the Triumph and Legend (so have been on a great variety of ships) - on Carnival Ships. Quit even thinking about it. That said one of the worst meals I have had on the seven seas was at Remy (Disney Cruise Line, major up charge, major snooty) and I will never do that again either. Everyone has their own experience, on land or at sea - and your service and food may differ - these are our own experiences. Yours may be different

Bad experiences in the steakhouse on many Carnival ships have been popping up on this board a lot lately, so I do not doubt her story.

I have avoided the steakhouse because I do not think they will live up to what I expect to be delivered above and beyond the dining experience already free in the MDR. If I pay $35 a person, I expect above and beyond every time and something that stands apart from my meal in the MDR.

only had lousy service and bad steaks in the steak houses I have been on(Pride, Splendor, Dream, Magic)I have also been on the Triumph and Legend (so have been on a great variety of ships) - on Carnival Ships. Quit even thinking about it. That said one of the worst meals I have had on the seven seas was at Remy (Disney Cruise Line, major up charge, major snooty) and I will never do that again either. Everyone has their own experience, on land or at sea - and your service and food may differ - these are our own experiences. Yours may be different

I see a pattern.......

I'm no fanboy of Carnival. July 3rd cruise was my first time ever in a Carnival Steak House on the Splendor. I can only compare to NCL and every NCL cruise I got to Cagney's at least once.

The Steak House Manager was dressed in jeans, which I found surprising. The Manager handles all additional charge dining so she was taking calls for the Cat in The hat Breakfast as well as Steak House reservations when we arrived for our dinner. At first she wasn't there. The staff, who are dressed as waiters normally are, could not seat us until the manager got back.

No problem with the food, found it comparable to NCL other than a warm cheese cake. The shrimp cocktail was bigger on NCL but better presented on Carnival.

I was surprised at how many empty tables there were. There was no effort to turn tables that were empty. On NCL they turn tables quickly when the empty. Seems Carnival has a set number of seating's and that's it.

We had empty tables at 7:30 and people were being told, nope booked full for the night. Table never was filled my entire almost 2 hours there.

FWIW

I'm with ya OP. I would have done the exact same thing. Just got off of the PRIDE and did David's which I read such RAVE REVIEWS about and it was just Ho Hum....

I truly believe it is "Hit or Miss" on these restaurants therefore, I choose to just appreciate the Main dining room dinners... which is fine by me;).

I'm no fanboy of Carnival. July 3rd cruise was my first time ever in a Carnival Steak House on the Splendor. I can only compare to NCL and every NCL cruise I got to Cagney's at least once.

The Steak House Manager was dressed in jeans, which I found surprising. The Manager handles all additional charge dining so she was taking calls for the Cat in The hat Breakfast as well as Steak House reservations when we arrived for our dinner. At first she wasn't there. The staff, who are dressed as waiters normally are, could not seat us until the manager got back.

No problem with the food, found it comparable to NCL other than a warm cheese cake. The shrimp cocktail was bigger on NCL but better presented on Carnival.

I was surprised at how many empty tables there were. There was no effort to turn tables that were empty. On NCL they turn tables quickly when the empty. Seems Carnival has a set number of seating's and that's it.

We had empty tables at 7:30 and people were being told, nope booked full for the night. Table never was filled my entire almost 2 hours there.

FWIW

So you are really most concerned with they did not do table management?:confused: Never seen jeans by any staff (not doubting you), just my experience. Eaten in Caney's and my expeience of the steak there was it could not hold a candle to the rib eye I have regularly on Carnival ships FWIW.

Edited by jimbo5544