A Bad end to a Great Cruise

IanB

Sue and I got married on the Caribbean Princess on July 24th, we were on a two week cruise disembarking on the 7th August.

Our return flight to the UK wasn't until late afternoon so we were disembarked about 11AM. On collecting our luggage from Port Everglades terminal we were shocked to discover that our luggage straps were missing (one was a locked strap!) two were recently purchased Princess Cruises straps. We were in too much of a rush so couldn't complain to the Princess reps there. When we got home last Sunday, there was a note inside one of the bags from 'Transport Security Administration' which stated that they had forcibly opened a bag to check its contents!! It also states that no compensation will be payed for busted locks. How the hell do they open bags without the owners permission and what do they use? Not only have they damaged the bag but one of our presentation champagne glasses from the wedding was broken. I am writing a strong letter of complaint to Princess and the 'TSA'

Your bags can and will be opened for inspection. If you do not have TSA approved locks, which inspectors can open, or use twist ties....they will break your luggage locks. It is just the way it is. Personally, we use twist ties. Leave fresh ones on top of the contents of your luggage and they will put them on. Your recourse with this situation is nill.

Sorry to hear what happened. But yes, I heard that security screeners are allowed to break luggage locks. Supposedly, they sell locks that can be opened by security screeners, but I'm not sure. All I know is that I have even seen screeners rip open wrapped packages just to see what's inside too.

Yes, they can open the luggage locks to inspect the contents of your bag. We have the TSA locks, which have been opened on 2 occasions. They leave a note in the bag that it has been inspected, and relock it when they are done.

Guest Host Tink

Hello Ian,

I echo the other posters with apologies about the bad ending to your honeymoon. I agree with them that there is nothing you can do for compensation from the TSA regarding the damage done to your bags.

Regarding the broken Champagne Flute, I would suggest writing a letter to Princess, explain the situation, and ask if they would replace the broken flute. It can't hurt to ask.

Hope your married life is wonderful!

Sorry, you had that happen but it does not have anything to do with Princess. The TSA is an agency of the United Stated Government that was created after 9/11.

You might want to point your frustration to a guy named Ossama not TSA or Princess.

Scott

Welcome to the USA, sorry for the bad taste it left. The TSA can and will open and search bags, they also break and steal things. You can bet that if you locked it it will be opened - I doubt they ever met a lock they didn't want to open. Complaining won't do any good.

Sorry for the bad end to a wonderful cruise, have a great life together.

Welcome to the USA, sorry for the bad taste it left. The TSA can and will open and search bags, they also break and steal things. You can bet that if you locked it it will be opened - I doubt they ever met a lock they didn't want to open. Complaining won't do any good.

Sorry for the bad end to a wonderful cruise, have a great life together.

I should let this one go but I can't.

The TSA was an agency fonded to help prevent terrorist attacks. No, they are not perfect and still have some things to get in order but your comment makes it sound like TSA is a band of thiefs pillaging through our luggage.

As some one who travels frequently I welcome the increased security!!

Scott

Next time you will be traveling in the US, make sure and use TSA approved locks then you will not have the issue of broken locks. It would have been nice if your travel agency had informed you of this in advance. Might be a good idea to pass the info on the the TA so she/he can pass it on to others traveling to the US.

Frankly I also am very willing to have bag searches if it means tighter security. If this isn't happening in GB yet, my bet is that it will start.

Sorry about your experience, but that is life in the 21st Century.

As noted above, your displeasure should not be directed at Princess, but at the TSA and the terrorists who are attacking the free peoples of the world.

Ian,

I'm sorry this has happened, but try (however hard that may be) not to let this detract too much from what I hope was a great start to wedded bliss aboard the Caribbean Princess.

I have to say that (through these boards) I knew that the TSA could open a locked bag and have ever since used plastic cable ties to secure our suitcases. You learnt of this the hard way unfortunately. That said, two pieces of our luggage had their internal strengthening spines broken at the pier (one at Venice and the other was damaged in Rome). Having watched these bags been thrown about by the porters at the dock, I am hardly surprised. I see little point in seeking any redress. Sadly these things seem to happen.

I hope Princess will find themselves able to replace the champagne glass that was broken. Take pity however on the newly weds on my recent cruise (Grand Princess 25 July - 6 August). Everywhere you went were notices pinned to doorways, lifts etc. Their camcorder and digital camera had both been mislaid onboard. They had no tangible evidence therefore of their wedding... all memories gone. To my knowledge they never recovered these items.

Laura

I am only sorry you didn't know about the potential for TSA breaking luggage locks BEFORE this happened, because, as has been stated before, they can and do just that thousands of times every day. In fact, since 9/11, I have never NOT had a TSA inspection notice inside of every bag that I've checked on international flights (and that's about 30 out of 30 bags, so it's virtually a sure thing). I'm afraid you have zero recourse on this matter.

But, I also extend my good wishes for a happy married life, and hope that, 25 years from now, this incident is the worst thing that's happened to you as a couple.

We too have TSA approved locks. To date we have been lucky and have not had our bags opened. My belief is since I have just stated this, when we fly to our cruise next month, we will have all checked and have ourselves searched going through security.

Sorry you did not know about this beforehand, but it is a fact of life these days as everyone stated. We too have had our luggage locks broken and found the "notes" inside. We have also had our luggage locks broken at Heathrow - with no notes found inside. Not sure if it was airport personnel having a look or British Airways personnel, but nothing was taken.

Yes, I agree it does leave you with a bad feeling that someone looked into your personal possessions, but because of 9/11 every aspect of our lives has changed to some degree -- and travel seems to be the biggest change.

As others have already expressed - very sorry to hear of your misfortune but those of us who travel regularly in the US have become so accusotmed to the new regulations we forget that some TA's may not clarify those rules to non-US residents who travel here.

As for fragile articles breaking - even if my bag was not potentially subject to being opened I would choose to carry fragile items in my carry-on luggage. Much of the checked luggage on US airlines (and elsewhere I'm sure) gets pretty rough treatment.

Now I am also from UK & know all about TSA inspections on flights (been to USA 3 times in last 9 months) & always use the plastic cable ties. However I have not seen anywhere before that TSA are doing the same for ships bags. I might have been tempted to use normal locks to get off the ship in view of the incidents known to have happened before to baggage left outside your cabin door at 11pm. In that case I would hve changed to cable ties before attempting to board any plane. Do TSA really think a terrorist is going on a cruise first? or do they just like breaking open bags to show they can? Do me a favour try to be a little more flexible in USA, it's not doing your tourist trade any good.

Frankly I also am very willing to have bag searches if it means tighter security. If this isn't happening in GB yet, my bet is that it will start.
I'm afraid not.

Terrorism didn't start in September 2001, nor did the terrorist threat to airlines. The UK (like many other countries) has been dealing with that threat as a matter of routine for decades.

And like pretty much every country in the world other than the US, we have always managed to do proper checked baggage inspections without breaking open people's suitcases or smashing locks. There's no reason why it's going to change now.

I'm afraid not.

And like pretty much every country in the world other than the US, we have always managed to do proper checked baggage inspections without breaking open people's suitcases or smashing locks. There's no reason why it's going to change now.

Pan Am 103 ring a bell??

Scott

Star Princess, If you put TSA locks in a search engine you will find many links. Here is one of them.

http://www.thesavvytraveller.com/tools/travel_sentry/1home.htm

We have travelled for years and the only reason I have ever locked my suitcases was to keep them from opening accidentally. I now use the cable ties! Always carry valuables in your carry on luggage.

Ian, I'm sorry your honeymoon ended on a sour note. I wish you and your bride a long and happy life together.

Archived