A Bad end to a Great Cruise

IanB

I bought 6 TSA approved locks from Brookstone for our last cruise. All 6 were missing when we got home! Next time I'll just use the cheap zip ties.

seems like we should all just buy colored zip ties and use those. Since you can't bring any sharp objects onto a plane these days, it will be hard for someone to just break them off.

I had an old luggage lock on my bag. The key to it was lost long ago, so it wasn't actually locking the bag--just there on one side through a hole in the pull tab on zipper. When we got back home after our cruise, I noticed that the lock had been locked through both ends of the zipper. I couldn't open my bag. I finally was able to pry the lock off. There was a note from the TSA saying they had inspected my luggage. The inspector must have had a key that fit the lock and did not remember that he/she had not unlocked it. I'm glad it didn't happen on our way to the cruise.

I'm used to my luggage being opened and inspected occasionally, and never use locks. The last few times I've cruised/travelled, I've placed a note right on top of my clothes under the inside straps that says something to the effect of:

"Dear TSA,

I've packed these clothes carefully for my cruise/trip/vacation. I realize the necessity of the job you are doing, but I would really appreciate it if you could leave my clothes the way you found them! Thank you very much."

After one inspection, I was unpacking my clothes in my ship cabin, and found that the TSA inspector had written a big smiley-face on my note in red magic marker! Clothes were fine, too!

the cruise was fantastic and our wedding made it doubly so, the wedding photographs are great and the Captain and crew made sure our cruise was memorable.

You tell us all this but don't give us photos of this doubly fantastic wedding? What gives? :p

Fellow cruisers, thanks for your kind words and sentiments on my cruise marriage.

On a lighter note, the cruise was fantastic and our wedding made it doubly so, the wedding photographs are great and the Captain and crew made sure our cruise was memorable.

I'm still waiting for info about the wedding!! :)

And as the previous poster stated... where are the photos?

Sue and I got married on the Caribbean Princess on July 24th, we were on a two week cruise disembarking on the 7th August.

Our return flight to the UK wasn't until late afternoon so we were disembarked about 11AM. On collecting our luggage from Port Everglades terminal we were shocked to discover that our luggage straps were missing (one was a locked strap!) two were recently purchased Princess Cruises straps. We were in too much of a rush so couldn't complain to the Princess reps there. When we got home last Sunday, there was a note inside one of the bags from 'Transport Security Administration' which stated that they had forcibly opened a bag to check its contents!! It also states that no compensation will be payed for busted locks. How the hell do they open bags without the owners permission and what do they use? Not only have they damaged the bag but one of our presentation champagne glasses from the wedding was broken. I am writing a strong letter of complaint to Princess and the 'TSA'

Now wait, I am confused. You say your luggage straps were broken when you picked up your bags at Port Everglades. This was before you got to the airport?? In that case it wasn't the TSA agents who broke your straps. They are at the airport, not at Port Everglades. It's entirely possible that the TSA did inspect your luggage after your checked your bags and after the straps were already broken, and they probably did break your luggage locks. Very confusing. I am so sorry that you didn't know about not locking luggage when flying out of the USA, but you should have been forewarned by your TA. Most of us are very comfortable with having bags randomly examined in this day and age. I'm sure after the tragedy in London in July you must understand that steps are to be taken to enhance security.

As i have said already ......security is one thing .....the way TSA are handling things is quite another

All TSA has to do is see how other countries have been handling the threat of terorism for years ........and if they mess up and items go missing or are damaged etc they need to settle matters fast not take months to respond

Archived