Crazy Muster Question

dustanltye

My wife and I were talking about how we hate the muster drill but understand the importance of it and would never skip it. We were talking about all the cruises we have been on some muster stations have been crammed outside against a wall 3 rows of people deep under a life boat and some have been much more comfortable like in the lounge or on lido deck or man restaurant. What I am asking is what is to stop a person from going to one of the more comfortable stations than the one assigned to?

On all of our recent cruises (post Concordia) someone has been checking our names off against a list, so they would know if we weren't at the correct muster station. And we've been on Royal Caribbean, Seabourn and Costa since then, so it's not just one cruise line checking names. Doesn't Carnival do this now too? I got the feeling it was most, if not all of them these days.

Edited by lisiamc

On all of our recent cruises (post Concordia) someone has been checking our names off against a list, so they would know if we weren't at the correct muster station. And we've been on Royal Caribbean, Seabourn and Costa since then, so it's not just one cruise line checking names. I got the feeling it was most, if not all of them these days.

Our last cruise was in October of last year and I dont think we were check on any list. But this may have been a fluke or just got lucky. This was no means a serious question or something that we would do it was just a conversation we started and I hadn't ever seen the question asked on here..lol :D

Carnival doesn't check off names. They say that the cabin stewards check each cabin to make sure nobody is hiding.

The main reason for going to the area that you are assigned to is if there were an emergency, you are suppose to know where to go for your assigned lifeboat. If you went to the wrong place for your drill and there was an emergency, you'd be in trouble trying to find out where you were suppose to be.

We have only been on one cruise where we met in the main theater for our muster. From what we've been told, when they hold them in the theater and dining rooms or lounges, they don't hold them under the lifeboats. It all depends on the captain.

Carnival doesn't check off names. They say that the cabin stewards check each cabin to make sure nobody is hiding.

The main reason for going to the area that you are assigned to is if there were an emergency, you are suppose to know where to go for your assigned lifeboat. If you went to the wrong place for your drill and there was an emergency, you'd be in trouble trying to find out where you were suppose to be.

We have only been on one cruise where we met in the main theater for our muster. From what we've been told, when they hold them in the theater and dining rooms or lounges, they don't hold them under the lifeboats. It all depends on the captain.

No, it doesn't depend on the captain. On Carnival, each "different" ship class will usually have a different set of predetermined locations. These can be changed, but it would be very time consuming and costly. A lot of paperwork will need to be filed and approved with the coast guard and the plaques on the back of the stateroom doors and signage throughout the ship will all need to be replaced.

Also, as you had mentioned an emergency situation... do you really think that if there was a real emergency that more than half of the passengers would even know what to do?

Also, as you had mentioned an emergency situation... do you really think that if there was a real emergency that more than half of the passengers would even know what to do?

Sad but most likely you are correct. Dont think most people take this seriously when not wearing life jackets.

I have noticed them doing a head count but definitely not checking names. The life jacket has the muster station printed on it but they don't even require you to wear it anymore.

I never attended my first muster drill. On our first cruise on the Destiny in January '99 we were idiots and let Carnival do our air. Never again! Our flight landed in Miami at 2:30 however since there was such chaos for the bus, and we waited for a later arriving flight, we did not set out for the port until 3:40. We stopped at another ship (Paradise I think) and then got to our spot. A whiz-bang check-in and we stepped on board at 4:01. Sail away was at 4. We entered the lobby with a couple of other people and were directed to guest services where we were told to wait until someone could get our cards for us. They had already sent them onto the ship when we were so late. No one was at guest services so we just stood there listening to the muster drill. :p

I never attended my first muster drill. On our first cruise on the Destiny in January '99 we were idiots and let Carnival do our air. Never again! Our flight landed in Miami at 2:30 however since there was such chaos for the bus, and we waited for a later arriving flight, we did not set out for the port until 3:40. We stopped at another ship (Paradise I think) and then got to our spot. A whiz-bang check-in and we stepped on board at 4:01. Sail away was at 4. We entered the lobby with a couple of other people and were directed to guest services where we were told to wait until someone could get our cards for us. They had already sent them onto the ship when we were so late. No one was at guest services so we just stood there listening to the muster drill. :p

Our first cruise, on RCCL, they actually extended muster due to a late arriving airport bus. We didn't know any better, but people who had been through it before said it was taking much longer than usual, but the crew didn't offer an explanation. We were on the deck facing the terminal when we saw a bus pull up, and few minutes later a couple of dozen people came on board. It was then that a crew member told us that that's what we were waiting on. A few minutes after that they let us all go.

Edited by Rudyard

Princess has it down pat. They have hand held scanners and scan you sea pass card when you enter the designated area. I thought this was brilliant.

I was just going to say that!!! Princess is awesome!! Hand them your sign and sail and they scan it!!! Now that's what I think carnival should invest in!!!

I don't think people would hate muster as much if the passengers all cooperated. I don't mind going to muster but it really annoys me when we go when we are supposed to and have to stand with rows of others getting hot and uncomfortable for 15 or 20 minutes while they round up the people who don't want to come. Last time it was very hot and we had to stand there and wait for half an hour while they were rounding up the stragglers, who show up laughing like it's a big jokes. There was a woman who got sick over the balcony and another who passed out from being so hot. They announced to anyone who came with a drink that no one could drink alcohol, but a couple of young girls came and were drunk and the guys running the muster just joked around with them about it and let them have their drinks.

I don't think people would hate muster as much if the passengers all cooperated. I don't mind going to muster but it really annoys me when we go when we are supposed to and have to stand with rows of others getting hot and uncomfortable for 15 or 20 minutes while they round up the people who don't want to come. Last time it was very hot and we had to stand there and wait for half an hour while they were rounding up the stragglers, who show up laughing like it's a big jokes. There was a woman who got sick over the balcony and another who passed out from being so hot. They announced to anyone who came with a drink that no one could drink alcohol, but a couple of young girls came and were drunk and the guys running the muster just joked around with them about it and let them have their drinks.

This is the one thing I hate the most about muster. They make us line up in lines 3 deep, no air is flowing, its INCREDIBLY hot, and then we just stand there and stand there and stand there and wait for people who just mosey on over whenever they feel like it. They're drunk, and they don't want to put their drink down. Now I really don't care what you do during your cruise. But when I have to stand there in heat and follow the rules and wait for you that ticks me off...ugh I seriously hate muster drills.

On all of our recent cruises (post Concordia) someone has been checking our names off against a list, so they would know if we weren't at the correct muster station. And we've been on Royal Caribbean, Seabourn and Costa since then, so it's not just one cruise line checking names. Doesn't Carnival do this now too? I got the feeling it was most, if not all of them these days.

Princess and Royal check you off a list. I can't remember how NCL did it because it was so long ago. Carnival hasn't checked cabin #'s off a list yet, at least they hadn't when we took our last cruise with them. Your muster station will be in bold letters and numbers on the bottom left of your sail and sign card. If they check your card and you are at the wrong station they will direct you to your muster station.The best station we ever had was on the Carnival Imagination. We sat on the Lido Deck by one of the pools.:D

I was just going to say that!!! Princess is awesome!! Hand them your sign and sail and they scan it!!! Now that's what I think carnival should invest in!!!

Have no idea what the scanners would cost but it is brilliant way of doing it.

I don't recall being asked to see my SnS card at a muster drill on Carnival for a long time. It is good to know where you should be in the event of a real emergency though.

I'm sure a lot of people do just what you are asking about though.

Princess and Royal check you off a list. I can't remember how NCL did it because it was so long ago. Carnival hasn't checked cabin #'s off a list yet, at least they hadn't when we took our last cruise with them. Your muster station will be in bold letters and numbers on the bottom left of your sail and sign card. If they check your card and you are at the wrong station they will direct you to your muster station.The best station we ever had was on the Carnival Imagination. We sat on the Lido Deck by one of the pools.:D

We have always been on deck by our boat, 3 deep and waiting. I also agree with the PP about those that are late, some with a drink already 1/2 in the bag and not paying any attention.

What I am asking is what is to stop a person from going to one of the more comfortable stations than the one assigned to?

I guess what stops me from going to a more comfortable station is the fact that if there is a real emergency, I will know the correct station to go to.

As far as the inconvenience of standing and waiting, it beats the inconvenience of that real emergency.

Less than an hour of my whole vacation. I just don't mind.

I know this won't be a popular suggestion, but since the length of time that muster takes sometimes seems to be heavily influenced by people drinking themselves silly the minute they get on the ship, why not cut off drink service thirty minutes before muster? Announce that drink service will resume the minute muster is completed. I bet you'll see people actually waiting by their muster stations well before the appointed time, and the whole thing will be over within about ten minutes.

I know that the standard argument will be the loss of revenue for the cruise line, and I agree with that, but I'm betting they'd make up for it with all those thirsty people heading to the bars right after muster is finished.

I know this won't be a popular suggestion, but since the length of time that muster takes sometimes seems to be heavily influenced by people drinking themselves silly the minute they get on the ship, why not cut off drink service thirty minutes before muster? Announce that drink service will resume the minute muster is completed. I bet you'll see people actually waiting by their muster stations well before the appointed time, and the whole thing will be over within about ten minutes.

Good suggestion, but I bet that all that would happen is at 35 mins before muster those who are the type to show up late to muster with a drink would just order DOUBLE the # of drinks to hold them over! It just comes down to consideration for others, which, unfortunately, many people do not have. :confused:

This is the one thing I hate the most about muster. They make us line up in lines 3 deep, no air is flowing, its INCREDIBLY hot, and then we just stand there and stand there and stand there and wait for people who just mosey on over whenever they feel like it. They're drunk, and they don't want to put their drink down. Now I really don't care what you do during your cruise. But when I have to stand there in heat and follow the rules and wait for you that ticks me off...ugh I seriously hate muster drills.

We usually try to wait a few minutes before going to the muster station. This way we are usually in the 1st or 2nd rows from the front. If the muster station is in a room before going up to the boats, then we try to sit the farthest from the exit so we will be at the end of the line.

I know this won't be a popular suggestion, but since the length of time that muster takes sometimes seems to be heavily influenced by people drinking themselves silly the minute they get on the ship, why not cut off drink service thirty minutes before muster?

I think it should be more like 1 hour.

We were on 1 cruise (spring break) where 1 group of college students were so drunk they were falling down at the muster station (Comedy lounge) and when we went up to the boats, 1 girl decided this would be a good time for a bathroom break, so she just dropped shorts right there on the deck.:eek: We all scooted away from her and had to inform one of our muster attendants. BTW- Other college student would say, "We're not with that group". I don't know whether or not the 2 were either cutoff from drinking for the rest of the cruise or removed from the ship as we were still in port.

No, it doesn't depend on the captain. On Carnival, each "different" ship class will usually have a different set of predetermined locations. These can be changed, but it would be very time consuming and costly. A lot of paperwork will need to be filed and approved with the coast guard and the plaques on the back of the stateroom doors and signage throughout the ship will all need to be replaced.

I would be one of the half that does...I am never prone to panicking in emergency situations...But once I was rescued I would be sick for days LOL